E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Cobb AP Misfire at idle?

02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #1
ChrisMcP05
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i X-drive coupe MT

Cobb AP Misfire at idle?

I'm hearing what sounds like a very rough idle while running the Cobb AP on just Stage 1 sport. I'm waiting to move to Aggressive just til my charge pipe is on, but was wondering if others hear the rough idle. It almost sounds like misfires while sitting at idle. Not sure - wanted advice / if aggressive might run better at idle or if it might just need new plugs or a tune? Anybody else run AP w/o a pro-tune?

I'm also in Boston....if you haven't seen the weather....well..yeah...almost 4 feet of snow sitting on the ground currently

Dinan tuning / AWE exhaust / BBS wheels / M suspension / M Performance Parts
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcP05 View Post
I'm hearing what sounds like a very rough idle while running the Cobb AP on just Stage 1 sport. I'm waiting to move to Aggressive just til my charge pipe is on, but was wondering if others hear the rough idle. It almost sounds like misfires while sitting at idle. Not sure - wanted advice / if aggressive might run better at idle or if it might just need new plugs or a tune? Anybody else run AP w/o a pro-tune?

I'm also in Boston....if you haven't seen the weather....well..yeah...almost 4 feet of snow sitting on the ground currently
I doubt it has anything to do with the Cobb.

If there's any relationship with the flash, it's probably because the adaptations got reset. Give it some time. If it doesn't go away, there may be something else going on.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
ChrisMcP05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unklejoe View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with the Cobb.

If there's any relationship with the flash, it's probably because the adaptations got reset. Give it some time. If it doesn't go away, there may be something else going on.
Hey Unklejoe - how might the adaptations get reset?

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
mike5809
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport [LeMans Blue]

Garage List
Hi Chris! Sorry to hear that you are having issues. How many miles have you put on the car since installing the COBB?

When I switch maps I usually get a rough idle for a minute or so, but afterwards it goes away. I would suggest driving it around for a bit - let the car "learn" and see how it works.

Also after you put a few miles on it check for any codes to see if you are getting misfire codes.

'11 335i M-Sport xDrive Coupe [LMB] COBB V3 & PTF Tune | E45 |4in BERK DP | VRSF 5in FMIC | BMS Intake | ER CP | Exotics Tuning CF Lip | CF Diffuser | Eibach Springs | Bilstein Shocks
'07 BMW 335i Coupe & BMW Z4 3.0i - Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 07:03 AM   #5
Unklejoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Hey Unklejoe - how might the adaptations get reset?
I just made the assumption that they get reset any time the Cobb flashes the memory. Maybe not, but it seems possible.

If you watch the Cobb during the flash, at the end it says it's clearing DTC's. Normally, clearing the CEL wouldn't reset the fuel trims but maybe they're doing that too.

I'd wait it out for 500 miles or so.

I know that any time I flash my car, as soon as I put the transmission in "D", it actually starts off in D3 for some reason. But it only does this immediately after the flash and never again.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #6
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

How many miles on the spark plugs?

My car never has any issues 'learning' the Cobb tunes, but I also have an AT. I would read the codes and take a picture of them, then clear and drive for a full tank of gas before reading again.

Also, these cars are notorious for rough idles on cold starts. It may just be the weather, but always better safe than sorry.
      02-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
ChrisMcP05
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
How many miles on the spark plugs?

My car never has any issues 'learning' the Cobb tunes, but I also have an AT. I would read the codes and take a picture of them, then clear and drive for a full tank of gas before reading again.

Also, these cars are notorious for rough idles on cold starts. It may just be the weather, but always better safe than sorry.
Hey guys - took some time to get back on here but thanks for the responses. It has been severely cold here in Boston...car hasn't been in temps over about 20 degrees in a week or two. Early morning starts can be in the negatives.

I think the spark plugs need to be changed on it. I don't think the dealer ever changed them during services and there are almost 60k miles on the car now. I need a day to get the CP installed when my hands won't freeze up and fall off. Probably have only put about 75-100 miles on the car since installing the AP.

I'll try to let it go for now. Only put it on sport mode, but might flash it to aggressive. Haven't been WOT either - never hit WOT yet with it on. Just daily driving it.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
335m
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

Quote:
Hey guys - took some time to get back on here but thanks for the responses. It has been severely cold here in Boston...car hasn't been in temps over about 20 degrees in a week or two. Early morning starts can be in the negatives.

I think the spark plugs need to be changed on it. I don't think the dealer ever changed them during services and there are almost 60k miles on the car now. I need a day to get the CP installed when my hands won't freeze up and fall off. Probably have only put about 75-100 miles on the car since installing the AP.

I'll try to let it go for now. Only put it on sport mode, but might flash it to aggressive. Haven't been WOT either - never hit WOT yet with it on. Just daily driving it.
60k miles and a tune means it is definitely time for spark plugs. The CP install is cake but you want full movement of your hands (warm) so you don't drop anything in the bay.

I doubt that changing your map to aggressive will improve your idle, but I guess it can't hurt to try.
      02-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Yea, definitely time for spark plugs. If you have some rough cold starts it's usually an indication of a leaking injector.

One way to tell if your injector is leaking is to look at the spark plugs and see if they are fouled with fuel.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
ChrisMcP05
Private
Rep

Anybody have a good buy on spark plugs for this car? Not going to bother with the dealer - figure just do it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Yea, definitely time for spark plugs. If you have some rough cold starts it's usually an indication of a leaking injector.

One way to tell if your injector is leaking is to look at the spark plugs and see if they are fouled with fuel.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
M.a.r.k.u.s
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xDrive manual

Garage List
Quote:
Anybody have a good buy on spark plugs for this car? Not going to bother with the dealer - figure just do it myself.
I got my last set of NGK 5992's on ebay for around $60.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

It has nothing to do with Cobb
If it is happening on cold start only, look for a bad injectors.
If not most probably spark plugs.
Since you have Cobb do a log and post it.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0