E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Anyone put Camber plates on their KWs?

01-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 JKU Wrangler

Garage List
Anyone put Camber plates on their KWs?

Hey guys I was planning on running the TC Kline camber plates on my KW Var3s however after talking to a few people they will not work. Has anyone else put a set of camber plates on their KWs? If so which ones?

I called Sam at Autotalent and he heard that the KMAC ones work so I called Turner and asked if they knew if they would work or not, and Turner said as long as the KWs use the factory upper strut mount then they will work as the KMAC camber plates simply replace the factory upper strut mounts. Anyone know if KWs use the factory upper strut mount? I havnt installed mine yet (nor do I have them yet so I can read the install inst.).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Which part are you talking about? There are 2 parts to the top hat, the spring pad goes into one thing, and then that goes into another part that bolts up to the engine bay. But yes, KW reuses factory mounts...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Which part are you talking about? There are 2 parts to the top hat, the spring pad goes into one thing, and then that goes into another part that bolts up to the engine bay. But yes, KW reuses factory mounts...
To be honest Im not sure ... Im guessing its the factory part the the strut mounts to that mounts to the car body.

I talked with my contact at KW and he said they dont come with camber plates as in the past they had problems on E46s with the plates ruining the shock shaft. He told me to fwd him the links to the plates I was looking at and he would look over them and let me know what he thinks.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #4
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

The TCK camber plates are the only ones that truly distribute the load forces correctly into the shock tower while keeping the strut shaft safe from too much force. Unfortunately, they can only be used with 60mm springs. KW sells 60mm race springs, like Eibach, H&R, Vogland and others, and will work without any problem in the KW line of coilovers. KW will confirm this, but will prefer you to stay with their standard stock looking spring in their spring rate as selection of the 60mm springs is all personal preference and they won't make a recommendaiton.

Kmacs will work, but don't last in the long run if you drive your car to its limit. I have broken three sets on other vehicles in the past. That said, they make an alternative product for our cars, and I don't mind replacing parts, and would buy them again knowing what the future will hold.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Vegas_Sirk
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
The TCK camber plates are the only ones that truly distribute the load forces correctly into the shock tower while keeping the strut shaft safe from too much force. Unfortunately, they can only be used with 60mm springs. KW sells 60mm race springs, like Eibach, H&R, Vogland and others, and will work without any problem in the KW line of coilovers. KW will confirm this, but will prefer you to stay with their standard stock looking spring in their spring rate as selection of the 60mm springs is all personal preference and they won't make a recommendaiton.

Kmacs will work, but don't last in the long run if you drive your car to its limit. I have broken three sets on other vehicles in the past. That said, they make an alternative product for our cars, and I don't mind replacing parts, and would buy them again knowing what the future will hold.
I appreciate the feedback. I was org going to track the car but since have decided to just build my self a dedicated track car on the side and have the E90 as a daily / show car. You think the KMACs will hold up to normal driving?

My contact at KW said to stay away from the sold camber plates and told me if I was going to go with any to go with the Stage 1 KMACs

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...DUCT_ID=192416

I just dont want to buy something and make the set up worst. I need something that will be decent for day to day use and still allow me to adjust camber for an aggressive wheel set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

I personally would go with the stage II or III, but the I's will do the job and prove to be the most comfortable. Given my past experience, expect the top plate to crack eventually under heavy loads and the urathane to move, unless the design has changed since the introduction of plates for the E36. I will assume that the E90 plate is also the same as the E36. Someone should confirm this.
Appreciate 0