E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E92 msport rear bumper / diffuser install

03-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

E92 msport rear bumper / diffuser install

Hey everybody, so I am trying to swap my stock rear bumper off of my 2011 e92 for a msport bumper. I have the bumper waiting in my garage and I have a diffuser on the way. My question would be if there is anything else that I would need for the install? Looking at the part diagrams I am wondering if I will need any of the screws/nuts/bolts for the bumper install that I might not already have on my stock bumper. Also worried about the diffuser install, are there any screws that hold the diffuser in or are there just clips? Any insight would be very helpful. Thank you.
      03-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

watch this clip, just be careful pulling the bumper sides out cause it can snap the mounting area. the diffuser is just 2 screws and push on clips. of course to make your life easier mount the diffuser onto the mtec first and install as a whole...naaamean?

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 03:44 PM   #3
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Tee View Post
watch this clip, just be careful pulling the bumper sides out cause it can snap the mounting area. the diffuser is just 2 screws and push on clips. of course to make your life easier mount the diffuser onto the mtec first and install as a whole...naaamean?

Thank you for that clip, do you know which 2 screws are needed for the diffuser from the parts diagram by any chance?
      03-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

This is the part diagram I am going off of, from getbmwparts.com
Attached Images

03-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10' SG e92 335i

You should have enough screws from your stock bumper to transfer over to the msport bumper. The diffuser is held on by clips and about 5-6 screws, if you look under the stock bumper in the middle section the bumper should be screwed in with around the same amount of screws. To answer your question, the screws look like 2 and 8.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-04-2015 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenY. View Post
You should have enough screws from your stock bumper to transfer over to the msport bumper. The diffuser is held on by clips and about 5-6 screws, if you look under the stock bumper in the middle section the bumper should be screwed in with around the same amount of screws. To answer your question, the screws look like 2 and 8.

So you think I should order about 6 screws either #2 or #8? And that actually is the exact diffuser I have coming except mine is quad
      03-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
So you think I should order about 6 screws either #2 or #8? And that actually is the exact diffuser I have coming except mine is quad
I don't think you need to, you should have enough from your current bumper. Check under your car in the general area where the diffuser will get bolted on, you should have enough screws. When I installed my mtech bumper I didn't buy any extra screws. I actually only have 4 bolts securing my diffuser right now because one of the holes didn't line up with the mounting point on the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-04-2015 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you need to, you should have enough from your current bumper. Check under your car in the general area where the diffuser will get bolted on, you should have enough screws. When I installed my mtech bumper I didn't buy any extra screws. I actually only have 4 bolts securing my diffuser right now because one of the holes didn't line up with the mounting point on the car.
Okay that sounds good, thank you so much for the input
      03-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Did you install the duke dynamics rear diffuser? I just got mine in and I was trying to put it on the bumper, the bumper isn't even on the car yet, and I found it incredibly hard to get it to line up. I was afraid I was going to break a clip or something. I'm not sure if its just me, if it takes a bit of force or if the figment is just completely off.
      03-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you install the duke dynamics rear diffuser? I just got mine in and I was trying to put it on the bumper, the bumper isn't even on the car yet, and I found it incredibly hard to get it to line up. I was afraid I was going to break a clip or something. I'm not sure if its just me, if it takes a bit of force or if the figment is just completely off.
My diffuser is a rep of the DD diffuser. Mine had very bad fitment but I picked it up for $100 so I can't complain. I ended up having to sand the sides and even the inside surroundings of the diffuser down because it had too much material and prevented the diffuser from going on. My diffuser did take a bit of force to get on cause it's pretty stiff, not sure if that's the same case with yours. What I would suggest is to start from the center and then work to the sides since the center has more connecting points, generally I think it would be easier to install the diffuser with the bumper off the car like your scenario but my diffuser was so stiff that I think it helped more that the bumper was on the car already.
      03-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #11
MasterWang
Captain
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

People break the side tabs because they try to pull it out to the side. Just slide the entire bumper to the back of the car and you won't break any tabs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #12
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My diffuser is a rep of the DD diffuser. Mine had very bad fitment but I picked it up for $100 so I can't complain. I ended up having to sand the sides and even the inside surroundings of the diffuser down because it had too much material and prevented the diffuser from going on. My diffuser did take a bit of force to get on cause it's pretty stiff, not sure if that's the same case with yours. What I would suggest is to start from the center and then work to the sides since the center has more connecting points, generally I think it would be easier to install the diffuser with the bumper off the car like your scenario but my diffuser was so stiff that I think it helped more that the bumper was on the car already.
I got my DD diffuser off ebay for $125, the guy said he sold the car before he got the chance to install the diffuser but it looks like the diffuser was either installed at one point or something because it has some scratches along the bottom, as if he backed up over something and scratched the diffuser and the mounting holes seem to have some wear where you could see the the screws went in and out. I believe that the very last tab on the right hand side isn't angled correctly because I can get every tab in except the last two on the right hand side, the second to last seems to line up but the very last one doesn't, it hits the bumper below the hole for the tab, not allowing the last two tabs to go in correctly. The diffuser is very stiff and is very hard to maneuver into place. I am not sure if I should contact the seller or file a paypal dispute or just try to make it work. How difficult was it to sand down the diffuser to get it to fit right? I have an OEM plastic diffuser and it literally popped in in less than a minute but no matter how hard I try the DD just won't fit into place.
      03-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #13
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav
Quote:
I got my DD diffuser off ebay for $125, the guy said he sold the car before he got the chance to install the diffuser but it looks like the diffuser was either installed at one point or something because it has some scratches along the bottom, as if he backed up over something and scratched the diffuser and the mounting holes seem to have some wear where you could see the the screws went in and out. I believe that the very last tab on the right hand side isn't angled correctly because I can get every tab in except the last two on the right hand side, the second to last seems to line up but the very last one doesn't, it hits the bumper below the hole for the tab, not allowing the last two tabs to go in correctly. The diffuser is very stiff and is very hard to maneuver into place. I am not sure if I should contact the seller or file a paypal dispute or just try to make it work. How difficult was it to sand down the diffuser to get it to fit right? I have an OEM plastic diffuser and it literally popped in in less than a minute but no matter how hard I try the DD just won't fit into place.
Sanding wasn't too bad but it took a while as I had to keep going back to the car to see how it was fitting, I used a dremel. If I read your post correctly, the fit is fine but one of the tabs don't line up? Does it look like the tab would go in if you cut off a bit of it width wise? If that works, perhaps you can get the tab in and then drill a hole into the tab of the diffuser and secure it with a ziptie.Maybe you can post a picture of the issue.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-08-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #14
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sanding wasn't too bad but it took a while as I had to keep going back to the car to see how it was fitting, I used a dremel. If I read your post correctly, the fit is fine but one of the tabs don't line up? Does it look like the tab would go in if you cut off a bit of it width wise? If that works, perhaps you can get the tab in and then drill a hole into the tab of the diffuser and secure it with a ziptie.Maybe you can post a picture of the issue.
It's hard to tell how the fit is without getting all the tabs in place. I don't think width wise is the problem, It doesn't seem to line up in the vertical axis. The last tab doesn't line up because it sits below the hole. As for the rest of the fitment, the predrilled holes on the diffuser do not match up with the holes on the bumper. I am not sure if that is solely because of the tab being out of place or what. I was thinking of possibly cutting off that last tab however I'm afraid that the diffuser might pop out a bit and not sit flush because that tab would be missing, or possibly even with that tab cut the holes wont match up and there would be no way to secure the diffuser to the bumper.
      03-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #15
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to tell how the fit is without getting all the tabs in place. I don't think width wise is the problem, It doesn't seem to line up in the vertical axis. The last tab doesn't line up because it sits below the hole. As for the rest of the fitment, the predrilled holes on the diffuser do not match up with the holes on the bumper. I am not sure if that is solely because of the tab being out of place or what. I was thinking of possibly cutting off that last tab however I'm afraid that the diffuser might pop out a bit and not sit flush because that tab would be missing, or possibly even with that tab cut the holes wont match up and there would be no way to secure the diffuser to the bumper.
If I remember correctly, with mine some of the holes did not line up 100% either. It was close but the bolt wouldn't go in straight, I had to bore at least two of the holes bigger so that the bolts would go in. Does your diffuser have metal tabs? None of the tabs on my diffuser would secure so the metal tabs that were on there saved the day for me. I hope you don't have to go as far as me with having to sand it down due to the fact that there's too much material around the edges and what not but I think I had a similar problem where the tab would simply not go in at the end because the diffuser could not sit on properly.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-08-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If I remember correctly, with mine some of the holes did not line up 100% either. It was close but the bolt wouldn't go in straight, I had to bore at least two of the holes bigger so that the bolts would go in. Does your diffuser have metal tabs? None of the tabs on my diffuser would secure so the metal tabs that were on there saved the day for me. I hope you don't have to go as far as me with having to sand it down due to the fact that there's too much material around the edges and what not but I think I had a similar problem where the tab would simply not go in at the end because the diffuser could not sit on properly.
No I believe my tabs are carbon fiber, or fiberglass. All I know is that they have absolutely no flex to them and if I attempt to bend them with any kind of force they will most likely just break off. I'm not really sure how to tackle this, maybe if I break off the tab that is keeping the diffuser from fitting correctly then bore out the holes to get the screws to attach and maybe add some two sided tape to the rear of the diffuser to keep it snug to the bumper?
      03-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #17
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I believe my tabs are carbon fiber, or fiberglass. All I know is that they have absolutely no flex to them and if I attempt to bend them with any kind of force they will most likely just break off. I'm not really sure how to tackle this, maybe if I break off the tab that is keeping the diffuser from fitting correctly then bore out the holes to get the screws to attach and maybe add some two sided tape to the rear of the diffuser to keep it snug to the bumper?
My diffuser had tabs made out of cf or whatever and a metal tab under it. So all parts of the diffuser sit into place properly except the last tab at one end of the diffuser? So when you push that spot in, does it look like it would go into place without a problem if that tab was gone? Can you perhaps post a picture of what it looks like when you have most of the diffuser fitted on? Then maybe a picture of the part you're talking about so I can better see your problem? The problem I see here is that if that tab is gone and the area does not fit onto the bumper properly then it'll want to pop out and being that it's so stiff, it'll pop out even if it's bolted.
      03-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #18
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My diffuser had tabs made out of cf or whatever and a metal tab under it. So all parts of the diffuser sit into place properly except the last tab at one end of the diffuser? So when you push that spot in, does it look like it would go into place without a problem if that tab was gone? Can you perhaps post a picture of what it looks like when you have most of the diffuser fitted on? Then maybe a picture of the part you're talking about so I can better see your problem? The problem I see here is that if that tab is gone and the area does not fit onto the bumper properly then it'll want to pop out and being that it's so stiff, it'll pop out even if it's bolted.
I will attempt to take a picture of it tomorrow morning. But yeah I am afraid that removing that tab completely would make the diffuser pop out a bit, do you think double sided tape would be able to stop it from popping out too much? I mean that's what my spoiler is installed with and that is pretty sturdy.
      03-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav
Quote:
I will attempt to take a picture of it tomorrow morning. But yeah I am afraid that removing that tab completely would make the diffuser pop out a bit, do you think double sided tape would be able to stop it from popping out too much? I mean that's what my spoiler is installed with and that is pretty sturdy.
I've attempted to hold it in place with 3m tape, it didn't help. Unless you are sure that part of the diffuser would fit properly without it wanting to pop out then it most definitely will pop put since the diffuser is so stiff.
      03-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've attempted to hold it in place with 3m tape, it didn't help. Unless you are sure that part of the diffuser would fit properly without it wanting to pop out then it most definitely will pop put since the diffuser is so stiff.
Here are the pictures, It's hard to see but the DD diffuser wont allow the last two clips to go in because of the very last one. Keep in mind the bumper is upside down so the diffuser is at the top. I also included a picture of an oem diffuser, it seems to fit nearly perfect. I'm thinking the bumper might have a very very slight warp to it on the side that has the problem with the tab but even if I bend the bumper it still wont go in all the way. Also I took a picture of both the oem and the DD diffusers next to each other so you can see what I mean by the last tab looking as though it is angled down more so than the oem one.
Attached Images

03-09-2015, 03:29 PM   #21
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep

I definitely see what you mean now. I know it may be a bit difficult since your bumper isn't mounted on your car so there's probably not much support but have you tried to push the diffuser up while also trying to push the diffuser into place? It's warm now but not that warm so maybe you should warm up that tab a bit with a blow dryer or something so maybe it will give you a little bit of flex so that you can hook that tab into place. I fully understand that it's very stiff as mine was like that too but it may work. Since you have nothing to lose here, I'd also drill a hole into the problem tab so that you're able to secure it into place with a zip tie once you can get the tab in. I hope my idea makes sense.

Last edited by StevenY.; 03-09-2015 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 09:54 PM   #22
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I definitely see what you mean now. I know it may be a bit difficult since your bumper isn't mounted on your car so there's probably not much support but have you tried to push the diffuser up while also trying to push the diffuser into place? It's warm now but not that warm so maybe you should warm up that tab a bit with a blow dryer or something so maybe it will give you a little bit of flex so that you can hook that tab into place. I fully understand that it's very stiff as mine was like that too but it may work. Since you have nothing to lose here, I'd also drill a hole into the problem tab so that you're able to secure it into place with a zip tie once you can get the tab in. I hope my idea makes sense.
I was thinking of trying to use heat to maneuver that tab a little bit, I may just mount the bumper and attempt to make the DD diffuser work since the oem one seems easy enough to mount even when the bumper is installed. How did you secure the tab with a zip tie? I am not sure if the tab is long enough to drill a hole in it