THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications F22 228 & M235i CSL Trunk

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk for the F22 228 & M235 Platform?
Yes I am Interested 58 65.17%
No Thank You 31 34.83%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

03-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

F22 228 & M235i CSL Trunk

Hey whats going on guys, so I have been speaking with a company about potentially developing a CSL style trunk similar to those found popularly on the e9x platform. I believe it is a very clean look opposed to just a trunk lip spoiler.

Here is an idea of what it would look like, usually there are different kick heights and it is generally a full carbon fiber trunk that can be painted as desired. So anyone interested please comment and let me know what you think and what type of kick you would be interested in seeing (low kick, medium kick, high kick). Hopefully we can make it happen!

Last edited by BD_F22; 03-07-2015 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

A low kick one would look nice and OEMish, sort of like the e82 duck-tail trunk.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
boomboom22
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

I would LOVE to see this happen. Low kick and/or medium kick would look great!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
could work... but can go wrong very quickly
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:35 PM   #5
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
could work... but can go wrong very quickly
Absolutely I couldn't agree more and that's why we want the opinions of potential customers. With enough interest we would then design it to flow with the F22 body lines and ensure it looks OEM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

I'd consider the medium kick n
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD_F22 View Post
Absolutely I couldn't agree more and that's why we want the opinions of potential customers. With enough interest we would then design it to flow with the F22 body lines and ensure it looks OEM.
I don't like what I'm seeing at all on that 3 Series. What would interest me more is taking the surface data off an MPerformance spoiler on a 2 Series decklid and fabricating that into one continuous piece as a new decklid.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Weight savings info and definitely a low to no tail option would interest me.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:08 AM   #9
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberspeed View Post
Weight savings info and definitely a low to no tail option would interest me.
There would definitely be weight savings and we can definitely go for a low kick option. Obviously we will know more once the company sees enough interest and we begin designing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #10
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I hate to say this but I keep thinking of the Kim Kardashian photo...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't like what I'm seeing at all on that 3 Series. What would interest me more is taking the surface data off an MPerformance spoiler on a 2 Series decklid and fabricating that into one continuous piece as a new decklid.
The whole idea of it is to try and have new products made for the 2 series.. My car is currently being sponsored by a company that has primarily been involved with exotic cars but they are getting into BMW so they are using my car for new performance product development that will be released to the general public in the near future. I am doing what I can to try and help the 2 series community grow and have a nice list of aftermarket parts to choose from. If we all just stick to MPerformance parts how will we be able to differentiate our car from everyone else and set it apart from the rest of 2 series owners?

A body shop can mold an MPerformance spoiler to your existing decklid and make it look as if it's one piece so I don't think molding them and trying to sell it as a new part is the right approach. The idea of this post is to try and get enough interest in different product types so new development can continue. Without growth all 2 series' will look the same and will follow a cookie cutter approach to modding. Why limit ourselves?

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't wrap my head around how everyone loses their minds when the suggestion for a new product is being suggested.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #12
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

I would also be interested!! I loved that look on my old E92.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #13
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman51sn View Post
I would also be interested!! I loved that look on my old E92.
I couldn't agree more, I believe BMW made the rear end of the 2 series a tad bit boring and I believe a CSL trunk with a performance diffuser would enhance the rear of the 2 perfectly!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #14
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The whole idea of it is to try and have new products made for the 2 series.. My car is currently being sponsored by a company that has primarily been involved with exotic cars but they are getting into BMW so they are using my car for new performance product development. I am doing what I can to try and help the 2 series community grow and have a nice list of aftermarket parts to choose from. If we all just stick to MPerformance parts how will we be able to differentiate our car from everyone else and set it apart from the rest of 2 series owners?

A body shop can mold an MPerformance spoiler to your existing decklid and make it look as if it's one piece so I don't think molding them and trying to sell it as a new part is the right approach. The idea of this post is to try and get enough interest in different product types so new development can continue. Without growth all 2 series' will look the same and will follow a cookie cutter approach to modding. Why limit ourselves?

Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't wrap my head around how everyone loses their minds when the suggestion for a new product is being suggested.
I've re-read my earlier answer and the other whimsical comment about Kim K. and am mystified as to what suggests anyone has "lost their mind". As one who holds two patents for new products I created, I am quite comfortable with the idea of new suggestions. Some work well; others do not. You put out a proposal for feedback, and I am sorry it won't all be positive.

Also, as a marketer, please realize some of us are aiming for an attractive appearance, per se, and don't care in the slightest if others have the same. If a seamless MPerformance appearance can be done and simply looks better, something less attractive does not win simply by being different.

Good luck with your project.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've re-read my earlier answer and the other whimsical comment about Kim K. and am mystified as to what suggests anyone has "lost their mind". As one who holds two patents for new products I created, I am quite comfortable with the idea of new suggestions. Some work well; others do not. You put out a proposal for feedback, and I am sorry it won't all be positive.

Also, as a marketer, please realize some of us are aiming for an attractive appearance, per se, and don't care in the slightest if others have the same. If a seamless MPerformance appearance can be done and simply looks better, something less attractive does not win simply by being different.

Good luck with your project.
While I completely agree with your point about you can't expect everyone to be positive when trying to be different. But numbers do not lie and product sales of CSL trunks on other BMW platforms suggest that they can be made to work and be attractive. Nobody is trying to create a product that would look silly or out of place. The whole concept of this thread was to gauge interest in a possible new solution for a trunk spoiler and the pictures I posted are a rough indication of what it could potentially look like but obviously nothing is set in stone. We would test various heights of the spoiler and other characteristics in order to ensure it would be the most proper look on a 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
While I completely agree with your point about you can't expect everyone to be positive when trying to be different. But numbers do not lie and product sales of CSL trunks on other BMW platforms suggest that they can be made to work and be attractive. Nobody is trying to create a product that would look silly or out of place. The whole concept of this thread was to gauge interest in a possible new solution for a trunk spoiler and the pictures I posted are a rough indication of what it could potentially look like but obviously nothing is set in stone. We would test various heights of the spoiler and other characteristics in order to ensure it would be the most proper look on a 2 series.
I sincerely applaud the creativity and exploration and hope you can please enough people to make a good business case. When it's all done, if it looks good to me, I'll certainly consider one as well. You were doing fine until the unfortunate comment about "losing their minds" simply due to some differing opinions. That kind of reaction will not advance your cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
BD_F22
BD_e92
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I sincerely applaud the creativity and exploration and hope you can please enough people to make a good business case. When it's all done, if it looks good to me, I'll certainly consider one as well. You were doing fine until the unfortunate comment about "losing their minds" simply due to some differing opinions. That kind of reaction will not advance your cause.
I agree and that wasn't said in the best way on my part. So I sincerely apologize for that. I am just a little anxious to want to see new products spring into action for this platform. Coming from the e92 platform that literaly had any part you can think of made for it, I would like to see the 2 series follow in its footsteps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #18
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I agree and that wasn't said in the best way on my part. So I sincerely apologize for that. I am just a little anxious to want to see new products spring into action for this platform. Coming from the e92 platform that literaly had any part you can think of made for it, I would like to see the 2 series follow in its footsteps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #19
Iceman51sn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M4

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, I believe BMW made the rear end of the 2 series a tad bit boring and I believe a CSL trunk with a performance diffuser would enhance the rear of the 2 perfectly!
You read my mind! Good luck and please keep us updated on how it goes. I forgot to add that I would be interested in a medium kick.

Last edited by Iceman51sn; 03-07-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Agreed. I think ducktails belong on Porsche, not BMW. I'm not 100% sure it even helps with downforce.
      03-08-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

This whole thread is about appearance, but a spoiler serves an aerodynamic purpose. Whatever design is decided upon it would have to be tested in a wind tunnel to see how the ride characteristics are affected. Looks great, drives like s**t doesn't work unless you never get over 40mph.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #22
skitsos
Police Magnet
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i (F22)

I would like to see a low kick for sure and maybe a medium kick. I have seen a few e90's with those and imo they don't look too bad. The only thing that could go wrong is that it doesn't end up looking good with the F22 body style. That is what I am afraid of. But that trunk lip looks pretty good on the e90. That's just my opinion though...