BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

03-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
MrBoatSalesman
Rep
Drives: GRAND CHEROKEE SRT 2014

Question Is There A Difference In Quality Between Individual Leathers And Normal Ones??

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY BETWEEN INDIVIDUAL LEATHERS AND NORMAL ONES OTHER THAT THE PRICE??

Somebody tells me that the leather is better and softer and it has black contrast in the seams is that correct?

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #2
NoPII
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoatSalesman View Post
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY BETWEEN INDIVIDUAL LEATHERS AND NORMAL ONES OTHER THAT THE PRICE??

Somebody tells me that the leather is better and softer and it has black contrast in the seams is that correct?

"Better" is subjective. The nappa leather (and then the merino leather) are softer with a finer grain than the "base" leather, and do feel more luxurious / decadent than functionally necessary.

However, it doesn't wear as well, and shows scratches more easily.... so "better" depends on what you're looking for in your leather

BMW does add some nicer stitching details etc on the more premium leathers to create a more exclusive feel tho. Again, "better" subjective. I hate the extra stitching they add to the armrest, as it irritates my arm when I'm wearing a t-shirt, and the "base" option doesn't have that stupid stitched stripe along each side of the center console pads...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 01:46 AM   #3
Armen383
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz E63S

Let me put it this way: once you try full leather nappa or merino interiors, you will never want to go back to standard leather... with one exception: if you're using the BMW as a construction vehicle (instead of something like F150 or Ram that are much better suited for that)

Yes, the finer leather is obviously less resistant to scratches/etc. and requires more attention from the detailing perspective, but boy does it look and feel good. Actually, same goes for any leather - not just inside cars, you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0