BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2015, 01:58 AM   #1
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Fast overtaking of a truck when diesel?

I sometimes go for long trips on - partly - secondary roads with woodland, curves and fairly heavy traffic.
When overtaking a 24m (80 feet) truck going at 50mph, I began with using AUTO - which gave me a bad jerk, when hitting kickdown.
Now I use manual and gear down to have at least 3000 rpm at kickdown.
Efficient revs are 3000-7000 rpm.
Because of quite narrow road and possibly oncoming traffic, I need to look at the road and gear up guided by engine sound. It works fine, and I will overtake an 80-footer in less than 5 sec.- lane to lane - which is about half a second less than in AUTO.

How do you do when diesel engine - and efficient revs are 2500-4500?

A couple of weeks ago we went skiing in north of Sweden, with skirack and heavy loaded vehicle. Overtaking was no problem, but I noticed that the car did lean over slightly, which I don`t like. I have ordered H&R lowering kit - 35mm (1 1/2"). Springs ordered from Germany at EURO 175 (SEK 1700, $200). Changing springs at BMW dealership SEK 7.500 ($ 950) - at independent SEK 4.000( $500).
Appreciate 0