E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Slight Vibration...Just Sometimes

03-21-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Slight Vibration...Just Sometimes

Hi All,

I tried to do some research on this, but haven't found anything that seems consistent with my case. I am new to the BMW scene and so far have had more issues with my car in the last 3k miles than with my previous 2 cars combined lol. Awesome car when it works though!

Background on car. 2008 335xi (4 door). 64k miles. Had water pump replaced 200 miles ago. Had (1) ignition coil replaced 2k miles ago along with oil filter housing gasket (leak). To my knowledge the HPFP has not been replaced (per former owner records). I don't think valves have been cleaned. Car is stock.

I am in pot hole central (Boston during winter) to start off. The car starts just fine in the morning, but seems to have a very very light vibration/rough idle at start. When i start to drive it goes away or just the feeling of the car moving absorbs the vibration. However, when I stop at a light and then start to accelerate again you will sometimes (lets say 1 for every 5 lights) get a stuttering feeling from about 700-2000RPM, UNLESS, you let off the accelerator and then hit it again. The same exact feeling will happen when you are under throttle and hit a bump in the road, but if you let off the throttle and apply it again the stutter goes away. Two days ago the "Service Engine Soon" light came on while just driving on I-95 (no bumps or vibration at the time) so not sure if it is related. Drove around today and never felt anything, but like i said sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't.

I have an appointment to take the car in on Wednesday morning. I have an extended warranty (thank god) so I am not too much into the DIY for repairs yet. Just trying to learn how these cars work!

Thanks!
      03-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
coolrockdaddy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

my daughters 2007 328i had a similar situation,would kind of shudder at lower rpm's in 2nd or 3rd gear w/ automatic steptronic trans. Indy mechanic said it was torque converter slipping and then grabbing,he changed tranny fluid and filter and have not had a problem since
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
hoonywise
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MPPSK

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [10.00]
I also have a 08 335xi. Although I have not experienced your problems, I can't help to wonder what maintenance has been done by the previous owner of your car since you mentioned you bought it at 60k.

Have the spark plugs been replaced? As to agree with the poster above, it is recommended you replace all fluids at 50k. That includes transmission, transfer case, differential, pwr steering fluids on top of regular oil, spark plugs and brake fluid changes. Its about $500 job, but well worth it if you plan to keep the car past the 50k mark.

Hope you get it sorted out..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #4
Nismo G
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonywise View Post
I also have a 08 335xi. Although I have not experienced your problems, I can't help to wonder what maintenance has been done by the previous owner of your car since you mentioned you bought it at 60k.

Have the spark plugs been replaced? As to agree with the poster above, it is recommended you replace all fluids at 50k. That includes transmission, transfer case, differential, pwr steering fluids on top of regular oil, spark plugs and brake fluid changes. Its about $500 job, but well worth it if you plan to keep the car past the 50k mark.

Hope you get it sorted out..
Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of changing all the fluids, with an exception to oil. I always thought the synthetics for dif, transfer, power steering, and brake were good for at least 100k miles.

I also do not know if the previous owner changed the plugs, but I will do that as soon as the weather gets decent (hopefully couple weeks). This could be the problem when I take it to BMW.

I'll be sure to update the post with what they find.