F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > The S3 a big drawback (no not an elephant's foreskin)
Extreme Powerhouse

03-26-2015, 03:49 AM   #1
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

The S3 a big drawback (no not an elephant's foreskin)

Because I cant get a BMW 328i xdrive (after reading too much of Nick the Greek on diesels) - the Audi S3 Quattro comes into my scope for next time.

But you know what, you can get electric seats but NOT with memory function. So how much of a bummer is that from a premium marque. I was even willing to pay extra but its just not in the spec anywhere in the world. Memory seats start with the A4!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 03:59 AM   #2
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

I wouldn't worry too much about memory seats. It's not really a clincher is it? Depends on how much you use them but at least with electric seats you can move them around easily. More important is drivability in my mind. But hey that's just me.
      03-26-2015, 04:02 AM   #3
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about memory seats. It's not really a clincher is it? Depends on how much you use them but at least with electric seats you can move them around easily. More important is drivability in my mind. But hey that's just me.
Less of the blaming Nick the Greek is you will.

PS You don't want a car that uses the same fuel as a HGV
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2015, 04:04 AM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

I love it, with the misses driving (help) often it's superb her key is setup for her including radio and stuff. Love it and would miss it no doubt. Perhaps not a deal breaker and it did cost a grand!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:14 AM   #5
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

If I had an S3 I wouldn't be sharing it!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:43 AM   #6
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about Audi's is the comparative lack of spec compared with the equivalent BMW. Every time I have changed car, Audi has always been the first port of call. Their approved site is very painful to navigate and seeing what is standard and what is optional in the spec is near impossible. Couple this with disinterested salesmen when you do try to talk about a car and its game over for me.

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 04:58 AM   #7
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post
If I had an S3 I wouldn't be sharing it!
Ha, I wouldn't let my Mrs anywhere near my car! If I was inebriated and couldn't drive I would still call for a taxi...
      03-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #8
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers
One thing that never ceases to amaze me about Audi's is the comparative lack of spec compared with the equivalent BMW. Every time I have changed car, Audi has always been the first port of call. Their approved site is very painful to navigate and seeing what is standard and what is optional in the spec is near impossible. Couple this with disinterested salesmen when you do try to talk about a car and its game over for me.
General view from reading posts is that audi salesman don't seem to be that interested.

Curious really I can't understand this mentality if your principle objective is to sell things.

Whilst I don't like being pestered particularly neither do I like complete indifference which has caused me to walk out of showrooms in the past.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

I would ask how is it that BMW rain sensitive wipers still need to be manually turned on when it rains.... Now that's more confusing to me than electric non memory seats!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLevin View Post
I would ask how is it that BMW rain sensitive wipers still need to be manually turned on when it rains.... Now that's more confusing to me than electric non memory seats!
To cater for automatic car washes - they don't want the wipers to automatically start and get ripped off by the rollers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Audi A3 isn't the equivalent to a 3 series.... The 1 series is its competition. The A4 competes with 3 series. The specs line up then, give or take.

As for the salesmen, they are all the same in a brand to be honest.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Audi A3 isn't the equivalent to a 3 series.... The 1 series is its competition. The A4 competes with 3 series. The specs line up then, give or take.

As for the salesmen, they are all the same in a brand to be honest.
Yes I'm fully aware of which Audi compares with which BMW. As for the specs, I'm yet to see and A4 Avant compare anywhere close to a 3er Touring for the same money. In the used market the gap is even wider. Really was keen this time to change brands, however trying to find an A4 with anything like the spec I was used to or wanted proved near impossible not helped by $hite salesmen

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootie View Post
To cater for automatic car washes - they don't want the wipers to automatically start and get ripped off by the rollers.
Haha, brilliant. So limit every day functionality for everyone, so that some retard doesn't forget to switch them off on their monthly trip to the car wash.....

Even worse than not allowing the car to do it, if that's the real reason.

Previous - S5 Cabriolet - 442hp
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Quote:
Haha, brilliant. So limit every day functionality for everyone, so that some retard doesn't forget to switch them off on their monthly trip to the car wash.....

You are contradictory to yourself- so they are off just turn them on when you need them, what's the problem, I don't get it. There are countries in the world where the rain is uncommon in a summer why a hell the wipers should be in a standby mode??

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

Slightly confused here, what cars actually have wipers that are constantly on and ready to wipe when screen senses rain?

Surely the default off is best option.

Not actually owned a car where you can't turn them off.

How the hell do you wash the car with radio / ignition on, if the damn things just move when screen gets wet / sensor pics up water on screen?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #16
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
The Audi Configurator is about as bad as it can get. I tried to option an S3, but halfway through I gave up. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Nice car, though. Beautifully made, but too damned expensive to lease, unlike BMW.
      03-31-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

Slightly confused here, what cars actually have wipers that are constantly on and ready to wipe when screen senses rain?

Surely the default off is best option.

Not actually owned a car where you can't turn them off.

How the hell do you wash the car with radio / ignition on, if the damn things just move when screen gets wet / sensor pics up water on screen?
Audi's do, however not quite as you suggest.

The auto wipe function on an Audi is selected by moving the stalk up to position one. After that the car senses rain. As the stalk is now in that position, each time you get in the car it automatically senses rain. Usually before I even realised it was raining.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The auto wipe function on an Audi is selected by moving the stalk up to position one. After that the car senses rain. As the stalk is now in that position, each time you get in the car it automatically senses rain. Usually before I even realised it was raining.
I suggest a trip to Specsavers may be in order (other spectacle shops may also be able help)

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:05 PM   #19
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:

Wife's Jeep is actually the same..Auto is a positional setting just like auto lights so they both come on, well, automatically when needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #20
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers
Quote:

I suggest a trip to Specsavers may be in order (other spectacle shops may also be able help)
When you have experienced it, you'll understand that.

I guess the best analogy is, it's like auto lights. They switch on slightly earlier than you may turn them on yourself. Therefore you never think 'oh, it's going dark, I'd better turn my lights on'

Unfortunately the Audi way is better than the BMW way.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

I guess the best analogy is, it's like auto lights. They switch on slightly earlier than you may turn them on yourself. Therefore you never think 'oh, it's going dark, I'd better turn my lights on'

Okay, so the A4 has auto wipers.

It's just a shame the rest of the car is so god awfully pathetic and crap.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2015, 02:20 PM   #22
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

Okay, so the A4 has auto wipers.

It's just a shame the rest of the car is so god awfully pathetic and crap.
Haha. I agree now I have my 4. The Fxx is miles better than the A4 or A5. It is a car launched in 2008 though.

I'm interested to see the car they bring out later this year.

Appreciate 0