United_States
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2020 BMW X5M Compet ...  [0.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Stone chips and PPF

Anyone planning on having paint protection film installed on their new X5M/X6Ms to protect the bottom rockers from stone chips? I had it installed on my E70 X5 M-Sport and it made a big difference. Here's a thread about F15 X5s with the M-Sport package and stone chips. I'm curious to know if it will be a problem with our cars as well.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1089317
      03-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #2
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Even though I'm picking mine up at the performance center, I'm having it wrapped at Extreme Colors in Greenville, SC before getting on the road the next day. I'm doing the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, rockers, rear wheel arches, and a swatch of the bottom of the rear doors in XPel Ultimate. Basically, I'm doing the areas the previous X5M had issues with. Extreme Colors has been awesome to work with so far, and I expect they'll live up to their reputation when the work gets done in May.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanExtant View Post
Even though I'm picking mine up at the performance center, I'm having it wrapped at Extreme Colors in Greenville, SC before getting on the road the next day. I'm doing the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, rockers, rear wheel arches, and a swatch of the bottom of the rear doors in XPel Ultimate. Basically, I'm doing the areas the previous X5M had issues with. Extreme Colors has been awesome to work with so far, and I expect they'll live up to their reputation when the work gets done in May.
Nice! Care to share what this costs?
      03-27-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeM3 View Post
Nice! Care to share what this costs?
Extreme Colors said XPel Didn't have patterns out yet for the 2015 X5M, and some of the things I want done will be custom cut patterns, so the quote came in at roughly $1900 right now. They indicated they believed it might go down in price once they have further information. They have a good reputation, and have been solid to deal with on the phone thus far, so, overall, I'm pleased with where things stand with them.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #5
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Sounds like a reasonable price. Thanks for the info!
      03-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Do you know if Extreme Colors will install PPF on vehicles that aren't delivered to customers at the Performance Center? I'm taking delivery of my X5M at my dealer here in NJ.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you know if Extreme Colors will install PPF on vehicles that aren't delivered to customers at the Performance Center? I'm taking delivery of my X5M at my dealer here in NJ.
For mine, I'm driving it from the performance center directly to them, a short distance away, and I'm leaving it with them overnight, for pickup around noon the next day. I was told it will take about 7 hours to do the work. I don't believe they can do installs on vehicles that the owner hasn't taken delivery of, so one would have to take delivery, and then drive the vehicle to their facility for the work to be performed.

EDIT
Where in Jersey are you? I relocated from The Mainline, just west of Philly a while back. The place I used during my nine years there is:
http://www.jimsautocaregroup.com/jims-auto-detailing/

I've always been pleased with their work product, and they were great people to work with. They are the window tinting, and car wrap place Devon Hill BMW used during my time there. Since Devon Hill BMW has been sold, and renamed, I don't know if they still use them. I don't know if they are an acceptable distance from you.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 03-27-2015 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 09:25 AM   #8
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
For mine, I'm driving it from the performance center directly to them, a short distance away, and I'm leaving it with them overnight, for pickup around noon the next day. I was told it will take about 7 hours to do the work. I don't believe they can do installs on vehicles that the owner hasn't taken delivery of, so one would have to take delivery, and then drive the vehicle to their facility for the work to be performed.

EDIT
Where in Jersey are you? I relocated from The Mainline, just west of Philly a while back. The place I used during my nine years there is:
http://www.jimsautocaregroup.com/jims-auto-detailing/

I've always been pleased with their work product, and they were great people to work with. They are the window tinting, and car wrap place Devon Hill BMW used during my time there. Since Devon Hill BMW has been sold, and renamed, I don't know if they still use them. I don't know if they are an acceptable distance from you.
I figured they wouldn't be able to do the work unless the customer drove the car to them. I thought maybe they had a deal with BMW and the Performance Center. Their website states that they are "the official paint protection film installer for BMW Manufacturing Performance Center". Maybe that means they PPF the Performance Center cars.

I'm in Moorestown, NJ. I've used Clear Choice Detailing before on my E70 X5 M-Sport. I'll probably use him again. He came out to my house to install the film, so it was very convenient.

Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
cy07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i 2016 M3

You should totally go for it. Going partial front wrap is good enough, but add the fenders if you can. I’ve seen bluelodge's X5 in person and its' not pretty from his numerous trips to Tahoe.

However, for regular highway/city driving, partial front wrap will do the job just fine.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Anyone planning on having paint protection film installed on their new X5M/X6Ms to protect the bottom rockers from stone chips? I had it installed on my E70 X5 M-Sport and it made a big difference. Here's a thread about F15 X5s with the M-Sport package and stone chips. I'm curious to know if it will be a problem with our cars as well.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1089317
Hi AwesomeM3. Picked up my X5M yesterday and I dropped it off this am to a guy I have been using for many years. he is located in Lancaster PA, and the shop is called AutoGraphics of Lancaster. The owner Bill is the coolest car guy you have ever met. He works hand and hand with Xpel by creating new cutouts for them and currently he is using mine to send to them. I'm not he to take away anyone's business, but he truly is the best in the east coast by far! Reasonable cost, he has major OCD's so the work gets done to perfection! No lines, no cut marks on the paint, he actually removes the fender flares and wraps them, then reapplys them. ZERO SEAMS! ZERO DOG EARS! Spoke with him today about all the cars he has wrapped for me, this X5M is the 20th one and I refuse to cheat on him. I did cheat once and I paid the price twice for being stupid and cheap! I'll never do that again. Think very hard who you choose, way to many hacks out there claiming they are the best, this guy has beefing doing since day one and his reputation is amazing. FC Kerbeck uses him for all of their Bentley, Lamborghini, and other high end cars exclusively. Is he cheap? No, but he's reasonable. Price $2,800 to $3,400......
I'm having full hood, full bumpers, full fenders, full doors, rocker panels, mirrors, door entries, pillars, front section of roof. PM me if you want to talk. Btw, your going to love your X5M! It's a f'ing BEAST!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #11
AwesomeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 M  [10.00]
2008 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsjr70 View Post
Hi AwesomeM3. Picked up my X5M yesterday and I dropped it off this am to a guy I have been using for many years. he is located in Lancaster PA, and the shop is called AutoGraphics of Lancaster. The owner Bill is the coolest car guy you have ever met. He works hand and hand with Xpel by creating new cutouts for them and currently he is using mine to send to them. I'm not he to take away anyone's business, but he truly is the best in the east coast by far! Reasonable cost, he has major OCD's so the work gets done to perfection! No lines, no cut marks on the paint, he actually removes the fender flares and wraps them, then reapplys them. ZERO SEAMS! ZERO DOG EARS! Spoke with him today about all the cars he has wrapped for me, this X5M is the 20th one and I refuse to cheat on him. I did cheat once and I paid the price twice for being stupid and cheap! I'll never do that again. Think very hard who you choose, way to many hacks out there claiming they are the best, this guy has beefing doing since day one and his reputation is amazing. FC Kerbeck uses him for all of their Bentley, Lamborghini, and other high end cars exclusively. Is he cheap? No, but he's reasonable. Price $2,800 to $3,400......
I'm having full hood, full bumpers, full fenders, full doors, rocker panels, mirrors, door entries, pillars, front section of roof. PM me if you want to talk. Btw, your going to love your X5M! It's a f'ing BEAST!

Joe
Hey Joe,

Thanks for the info. Although he seems like the right guy to go to, his shop is two hours away from me. I'll probably use the guy who did my E70 X5, but I'm waiting to hear back from him (just contacted him today). Let me know how your experience goes with Auto Graphics. I'm jealous that you got your X5M already. Mine should have been here two weeks ago, but is still stuck in QC with quality issues.
      03-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #12
UTEX
Rep
Drives: LBB X6M

Quote:

Joe
I live in Princeton, NJ and was wondering if they pick up and deliver?
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #13
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEX View Post
I live in Princeton, NJ and was wondering if they pick up and deliver?
Hi utex, no they do not. But a lot of customers flatbed their cars to him and then either pick up or flat them back.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #14
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep

Btw, here is a example of his work of competitors and him...... Pictures speak for themselves.
https://www.facebook.com/lancasterautographics

Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
UTEX
Rep

Quote:
Btw, here is a example of his work of competitors and him...... Pictures speak for themselves.
https://www.facebook.com/lancasterautographics

Joe
Thanks for the information Joe. Giving me a lot to consider!
Dave
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #16
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep

Your welcome Dave. PM me if you need further info. If you go through the pics, my X5 M Sport in Mineral White is pictured and my Porsche 991 Carrera S in GT Silver.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
UTEX
Rep

Quote:
Your welcome Dave. PM me if you need further info. If you go through the pics, my X5 M Sport in Mineral White is pictured and my Porsche 991 Carrera S in GT Silver.

Joe
I went through a bunch of them on his FB page but never saw your X5M and not sure if I saw the Porsche or not - you are lucky to have two toys.

attach your photos or a direct link perhaps so I can see them?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep

This was the 2014 X5 M Sport before my 2015 X5M......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #19
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep

More....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #20