E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Spec Clutch question

03-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #1
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

Spec Clutch question

i got a clutch and flywheel package recently and noticed i received an unsprung 2+ spec clutch with my mfactory single mass flywheel.

i thought with SMFW i am supposed to use the sprung clutch to get smoother engagement but spec said the sprung is only for THEIR smfw. mfactory says their smfw differs compared to spec.

Does this make sense? should i be ok? just asking on here because both mfactory and spec say its ok but my mechanic says the engagement wont be smooth. (skeptical slightly that they just dont want to deal with shipping back from canada to US.)
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
MFactory
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The reason why they said it can only be used with their Flywheel is because when they first released their line of clutches for this fitment, there were very limited choices of aftermarket flywheels available (and still is very limited), so they based their assumption off the oem Flywheel which does not have the recessed centre section (due to it being dual mass), thus, the springs would cause interference.

Our flywheel does have a recessed centre section, so if there is no interference with the springs, it can be used. This is being discussed with SPEC, and we are trying to acquire tech diagrams just now to see if their sprung hub can be used with our Flywheel (although you can appreciate this is a difficult topic to exchange due to our flywheel being a competing product)

However, from past experience (and with customers on this forum whom have purchased our flywheel with the SPEC clutch), the unsprung hub has been perfectly fine to use and has not caused any unwanted effects to engagement/smoothness.

The only "negative" feedback that has been received is the increase in audible gear clatter, which is the case with ALL SMFW's and not particular to any one brand. The actual level of gear clatter has not been increased; just that you can hear it easier now as you've just decreased the level of dampening in your car i.e change to stiffer mounts and this will decrease the level of dampening even further.

Last edited by MFactory; 03-28-2015 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #3
abhishriv
Major
Rep

getting it installed now... omg that pilot bearing... it took them 4 hours just to remove that little POS! said it was the first one they came across like that and they've done so many clutch replacements on n54s.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Spec sells to types of SMFW, NON SAC and SAC.

I can't speak from Mfactory but it looks like they gave a decent explanation of their product.

I typically favor working with components from one manufacturer just to avoid any potential drama.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
getting it installed now... omg that pilot bearing... it took them 4 hours just to remove that little POS! said it was the first one they came across like that and they've done so many clutch replacements on n54s.
That's actually the norm. I tell everyone not to replace that thing anymore because of what a pain it is. Better to just repack it with grease and forge ahead.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

So at this point, what do we have to change to be safe but without such pain...

Last edited by rif75; 04-02-2015 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #7
The Convert
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
So at the what do we have to change to ne safe but without such pain...
There's no need to change it period. The one from the Spec kit is just an OEM replacement. I also wouldn't recommend changing the TOB to the Spec one, as the OEM plastic one is more durable and doesn't get beaten up and damaged by the release fork like the Spec one does.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
abhishriv
Major
Rep

so finally got the clutch installed and had it all long weekend, let me tell you the pilot bearing had to be cut out and was a royal PIA. so if you can, keep it in there dont change it.

Now onto the clutch and flywheel combo from Mfactory, to be honest as posted in the first post i was worried about the sprung hub with SMFW based on all that i have read on the forums here. but honestly the clutch feels amazing! the pedal feel is actually slightly lighter than oem if not the same. the engagement is smooth! and i barely can hear any chatter. Only got about 100km on it so far. will have to do another 700km for proper break in but so far looking good
Appreciate 0