E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Coil Pack Issue!

04-02-2015, 04:28 AM   #1
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

New Coil Pack Issue!

I have an 09 e90 335. I am using a Cobb AP and until last week was using a Wedge Performance Tune. I am still trying to dial it in and have recently had a few misfires which I figured were due to the old (original) coil packs. Plugs were done 7k ago so I know they're fresh.

Anyway, I went back to the Cobb tune (Aggressive FMIC+) until I swapped out to new coil packs. After that I could go back to the more aggressive tune from Wedge.

Tonight I decided to swap put the coil packs...after doing so, I fired up the car and it ran like complete and total dog shit. It threw a few CELs and idled so rough that I did't want to put it in drive.

The codes it had thrown tonight and in the past all pointed to cylinder 5. I went back to 5, pulled the plug and checked the connection...all good and solid. All others were the same. Fired the car up again...same thing...running like crap.

The coil packs were ordered through a vendor at Amazon and look identical to the OEM. They are Bosch and have a manufacture date of late 2014...the OEMs are 2008. They fit fine and looked great.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues? I guess it's time to go to the dealer for the OEM?

I truly am perplexed.

Short version:

Needed new coils, bot Bosch but not from the dealer. Installed and he car ran like shit. Had to go back to my old OEM coils to get the car to run. Confused as to why the new ones didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
JC335xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335xi

Plenty of folks have picked up the Bosch coils from amazon without issue. Maybe you just got a bad coil? New parts being bad does happen on occasion.

Parting out car. For sale thread here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1167583
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #3
MK335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335 View Post
I have an 09 e90 335. I am using a Cobb AP and until last week was using a Wedge Performance Tune. I am still trying to dial it in and have recently had a few misfires which I figured were due to the old (original) coil packs. Plugs were done 7k ago so I know they're fresh.

Anyway, I went back to the Cobb tune (Aggressive FMIC+) until I swapped out to new coil packs. After that I could go back to the more aggressive tune from Wedge.

Tonight I decided to swap put the coil packs...after doing so, I fired up the car and it ran like complete and total dog shit. It threw a few CELs and idled so rough that I did't want to put it in drive.

The codes it had thrown tonight and in the past all pointed to cylinder 5. I went back to 5, pulled the plug and checked the connection...all good and solid. All others were the same. Fired the car up again...same thing...running like crap.

The coil packs were ordered through a vendor at Amazon and look identical to the OEM. They are Bosch and have a manufacture date of late 2014...the OEMs are 2008. They fit fine and looked great.

Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues? I guess it's time to go to the dealer for the OEM?

I truly am perplexed.

Short version:

Needed new coils, bot Bosch but not from the dealer. Installed and he car ran like shit. Had to go back to my old OEM coils to get the car to run. Confused as to why the new ones didn't work.
Who was the seller? JDM-EURO MAN? I bought some from them off amazon and it looked like they found 6 coils in the trash and shipped them to me in a plastic bag. I have since returned them.

Ordered the DELPHI coils off Amazon and they work great.
      04-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK335i View Post
Who was the seller? JDM-EURO MAN? I bought some from them off amazon and it looked like they found 6 coils in the trash and shipped them to me in a plastic bag. I have since returned them.

Ordered the DELPHI coils off Amazon and they work great.
Yeah man...same vendor. They arrived crammed into a usps envelope. I asked them what the deal was and they said they were new but take them out of their boxes to save on shipping.

Now i'm curious if they are all bad?

Again, I swapped all of my 'old' ones to these new ones and it run horribly.

I guess I'll return them and start over. Where did you end up buying the coil packs?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
MK335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Yeah man...same vendor. They arrived crammed into a usps envelope. I asked them what the deal was and they said they were new but take them out of their boxes to save on shipping.

Now i'm curious if they are all bad?

Again, I swapped all of my 'old' ones to these new ones and it run horribly.

I guess I'll return them and start over. Where did you end up buying the coil packs?
I might report those guys...I returned them and it took the, 3 weeks to file the return when the package was delivered within 1-2 days. But yeah same situation with me, they were all stuffed in a USPS bag with dust and dirt all over them. The lady at the post office said they should've never been allowed to ship like this in the first place.

Go on Amazon and search Delphi GN10328 Ignition Coil. I bought 6 of those and went ahead and replaced all my coils instead of just my one bad one. I like to keep it consistent instead of mixing and matching and the car seems to run perfect with them. I was skeptical about using the DELPHI but I read the reviews on amazon and searched on this forum and found some good stuff so I bought them.

I think we have the same exact car so you should be good to go.
      04-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK335i View Post
I might report those guys...I returned them and it took the, 3 weeks to file the return when the package was delivered within 1-2 days. But yeah same situation with me, they were all stuffed in a USPS bag with dust and dirt all over them. The lady at the post office said they should've never been allowed to ship like this in the first place.

Go on Amazon and search Delphi GN10328 Ignition Coil. I bought 6 of those and went ahead and replaced all my coils instead of just my one bad one. I like to keep it consistent instead of mixing and matching and the car seems to run perfect with them. I was skeptical about using the DELPHI but I read the reviews on amazon and searched on this forum and found some good stuff so I bought them.

I think we have the same exact car so you should be good to go.
Thanks for the info. I will try the Delphi. It's just odd that supposedly all 'new' coil packs would cause my car to run like crap. I'll check back in.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

If it's only a couple cylinders missing, i'd just replace the bad coils.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ion/ES2550226/

Might spend a bit more with ECS, but at least you'll be buying the most recent version, and they'll be brand new.

That guy on Amazon should be reported. Nowhere in his ad does it say USED coils. Amazon takes stuff like that pretty seriously.
      04-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #8
FL335
Banned
Rep

Just received 6 brand new coil packs in the boxes all together....unlike the "new" ones I received unboxed and jammed into USPS Priority 2day cardboard envelope....

I suspect these new Cps will work.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

Bullshit those guys probably get warrantied coil packs from dealership clean them up and sell them
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I bought the new Delphi coils at the dealer for $36-$39 each
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by climax_e92
I bought the new Delphi coils at the dealer for $36-$39 each
Which dealer ? Aren't cool packs like 90 each at the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 10:04 PM   #12
ritjeff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL335

I truly am perplexed.

Short version:

Same thing happened to me though the coils were definitely new. Oddly enough, it seemed like swapping them all at once confused the DME, causing multiple misfires and CEL. I ended up starting over, swapping them one at a time, and starting the car briefly in between. It ran great after that. Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #13
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjeff View Post
Same thing happened to me though the coils were definitely new. Oddly enough, it seemed like swapping them all at once confused the DME, causing multiple misfires and CEL. I ended up starting over, swapping them one at a time, and starting the car briefly in between. It ran great after that. Go figure.

Odd. Maybe I'll try this.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
FL335
Banned
Rep

Brand new in box Coil packs...Bosch..look just like the OEM and fit well. swapped cylinder 1 from old to new....fired it up and CEL with very rough idling. replaced cal 1 CP with the old. fired it up...ran like a champ. did the same with cyl 2...same deal...ran horribly.

Got codes 2e18 and 2e19 when i swapped out 1 and 2. Also misfire code which I am used to seeing.

So with the old Cps and Cobb OTS FMIC+ aggressive tune, the car runs great. With my pro tune, it misfires at WOT...

FML, I just don't get it. My Indy says it could be injectors...I get that but why would the car run fine on the old Cps but not on the new ones...

I have never heard of this before. Just odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Did you guys try resetting adaptations?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Did you guys try resetting adaptations?
t

The ECU? Someone had mentioned it but I read you didn't need to do it. That may be something I'll try using my accessport.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 12:40 PM   #17
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

You dont need to reset ECU for just coil and spark replacement. Sounds like you have some really bad luck with coils being defective out of the box... If you spark plugs have been in there for a few thousands miles, you can just pull the plugs and check the color and wear on the plugs to see if it is an injector problem. A leaky injector will cause the cylinder to run rich, leaving lots of carbon residual on the plug. If the fuel spray pattern is bad enough, it might actually erode your plugs away as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
t

The ECU? Someone had mentioned it but I read you didn't need to do it. That may be something I'll try using my accessport.
Doesn't hurt to try, takes a second with the accessport. Hard to believe you'd get all defective coils.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
FL335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
You dont need to reset ECU for just coil and spark replacement. Sounds like you have some really bad luck with coils being defective out of the box... If you spark plugs have been in there for a few thousands miles, you can just pull the plugs and check the color and wear on the plugs to see if it is an injector problem. A leaky injector will cause the cylinder to run rich, leaving lots of carbon residual on the plug. If the fuel spray pattern is bad enough, it might actually erode your plugs away as well.
I'll pull the plugs and check them out. Checked out cylinder 5 and it was good...this was one i have had issues with.

I had a similar issues back in my Subaru days. Reset the ECU and it fixed everything. Will let you know. Thanks for the input, guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #20
FL335
Banned
Rep

I think I have it fixed. I am not quite sure what was going on but I think the electrical connector that plugs into the coil was not being set properly...by me. Was the same in cylinders 1 & 2. Snugged them together and fired it up after swapping out all of them. In good shape. I took the car out after flashing with my pro tune...went WOT a few times...car felt great.
Appreciate 0