F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OT: questions for audio buffs
Extreme Powerhouse

04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

OT: questions for audio buffs

Both on and off topic...

A couple of questions for any audio buffs please

Firstly, if I store music from cd's to the car's multimedia drive does anyone know if the quality is the same? Is there any reason to believe the files are compressed in any way when stored on the car? (I have searched for this but cannot find). Note- I mostly use a usb stick for my audio (files are 320mp3's up to flac) however my new laptop (work) arrived without a cd drive. It's beautifully light and a great machine but I can't rip cd's now unless I buy a cd drive.

Also...

Researching a cinema room for a new home. I love my music but usually use headphones; now I want the full set up for the films, consoles, but especially music. Any good pointers in terms of good installers, good websites? Looking a good hifi system and good built in speakers for 2 rooms.

Lastly...and sorry for all the q's Thinking about vinyl as it looks cool. Would I notice the difference with vinyl- do any of you audio buffs appreciate it?

Thanks for any input and stories or post-links on your audio set-ups much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

id also appreciate the advice on the cinema room as my house is undergoing extensive research and i want my cinema room to be bouncing with the capability of running the music from the system into the rest of the house
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
E60MKF
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 MY2013

If you want really high-end, I would go for Linn Audio and ditch the projector for Loewe TVs.

BUT Linn Audio will set you back minimum £15k...
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #4
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

What's your budget?

Unless you are a hardcore audiophile there is no need to spend 15k

I researched extensively last year on cinema front so give me a budget and I'll let you know some bits to go and google
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

On the first question the files are converted to 128 when they're stored on the hard drive - not ideal, but even as someone who has a pretty serious home hi-fi set up, the relative lack of resolution on the HK system and the impact of road, engine noise etc means in reality it doesn't make much discernible difference. On my home system, in comparison, the difference is night and day.

On your broader question I would point out that if you want to go down the route of inbuilt speakers they're always a compromise sound-wise. I'd always suggest a decent set of floorstanding speakers paired with a more discrete centre and surround sound speakers as the best compromise. If you want to stick with the inbuilt option then I would suggest something like this, budget dependant

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/shadow

I used to have some of their Gold series speakers and have always been impressed with their home cinema offerings as well.

On the question of Vinyl I would say the best sounds I have heard on a home set-up have been with that as the source. A couple of guys I know have £12k+ custom turntables, feeding £30-40k of amps and speakers and it stomps all over CD. That being said with the latest 24 bit 192khz / DSD high-res downloads I think you get something that is now the equal of vinyl.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Andrewthefirst
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140i

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure of a budget but nowhere near £15k maybe should have posted on the used Hyundai forum instead

I could spend a few thousand and would happily do it in stages- eg get the tv and cinema aspect sorted year one, get the music sorted year 2. A few grand on the TV/cinema then a few on the music set up? Would have to stay well South of £10k, starting to sweat here!

Speakers hidden isn't absolutely necessary but they'd need to be tidy.

That's bad news about the 128 cookie, but thanks for the answer
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Echo the comments on vinyl.

Bought my first Linn Sondek at age 18.

Still haven't heard a digital system, at any price, that is as musical as analog.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #8
KevinLevin
General Motors
Rep
Drives: 430d M Sport + EBII

I have a cinema/games room, I bought the kit about three years ago and spent around £2000.

Denon 1912 audio receiver (runs two zones)
Panasonic 50" plasma
Mission mx5 front speakers
Harmon Kardon centre
Harmon Kardon surrounds and sub

Connected to this

PS4
PS3
Wii U
PC

Running as a second zone - Ceiling speakers downstairs

I chose a tv rather than projector as they generally have a fan. This would annoy me when I'm watching something at a lower volume.

You'll find out anything you ever wanted to know about cinema rooms here https://www.avforums.com

The pc allows me to have my music stored there and then goes via HDMI through the receiver and to the downstairs speakers. I then control it with my iPad using the remote app.

Previous - S5 Cabriolet - 442hp
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 02:39 PM   #9
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure of a budget but nowhere near 15k maybe should have posted on the used Hyundai forum instead

I could spend a few thousand and would happily do it in stages- eg get the tv and cinema aspect sorted year one, get the music sorted year 2. A few grand on the TV/cinema then a few on the music set up? Would have to stay well South of 10k, starting to sweat here!

I was intending to spend about the same but reigned it in a bit in the end, and I am very happy with it all!! I am at lower end of mid range equipment i think and on balance excellent value for money considering how often I use it. Some of the guys on here have some serious kit and they are better placed to comment on top end priced equipment, I am not tuned in enough to warrant the spend really.

Go on what Hifi and take a look. I can really recommend Qaccoustics stuff as value for money.

I can recommend the 2000i series cinema kit but upgrade the fronts for 2050i or concept 20s if you want enhanced hi fi stereo. They do these in a nice gloss finish in white if you have white walls so very discrete.

You can go for a range of good receiver amps for the 500-800 mark (I went Yamaha rxv673 which you can get less than this now) meaning speaker and amp package for under 2k. My amp has a second speaker circuit too so you can run Hifi in another room, the speakers I have mentioned will suit audio or cinema and blow all but the most ardent audiophiles away, I promise you. Everything controlled from ipad too over network.

Projectors for me over large tvs. The size of screen is so immersive it is like being at cinema, you can go nuts here though. Again I went lower mid range and everyone who sees it is blown away - I opted for a epsonTW6100 which is 3d too but that is a bit flaky as a concept IMO - I didn't pick it for that. You can get this model now for £1k.

I recommend a trip to richer sounds demo room or similar, check it all out.

Good luck with it all
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Agree on the Richer Sounds suggestion - they now offer an installation service for home cinema kit that is pretty reasonably priced.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewthefirst View Post

Lastly...and sorry for all the q's Thinking about vinyl as it looks cool. Would I notice the difference with vinyl- do any of you audio buffs appreciate it?
I spent nearly £400 during last summer having a new power supply fitted to my Linn Axis turntable. It's not the highest spec they do but I've had it new since 1987 and it's part of me. Also the sound is kinda special.

Re a cinema room. I have one, but it doesn't have modern high end kit.

It has a Panasonic PT-AX200 projector
Yamaha DSP-AX757SE amp
Sony S360 Blu-ray deck
Tannoy speakers 607 x2 at front
Tannoy speakers 605 x2 at back
Mission sub-woofer
Paradigm Centre-speaker

The picture is obviously important but the sound rig is just as vital. If I used my room more I might have got a new 1080 projector. But it's ready for later on, when I've more time (and hopefully hearing still working)
      04-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
Gorsh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F31 Luxury sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLevin View Post

You'll find out anything you ever wanted to know about cinema rooms here https://www.avforums.com.
+1

I learned loads on there three years ago when I bought home cinema gear, I went for the Denon 1910 receiver and Q Acoustics speakers. Not the best for pure audio but plenty of power for great movies and coupled with a Panasonic 50" plasma the total spend was under £4k. Been loads of new equipment out since I bought mine so enjoy the research.

For Weekends and sunny days:
981 Boxster GTS
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
E60MKF
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure of a budget but nowhere near £15k maybe should have posted on the used Hyundai forum instead

I could spend a few thousand and would happily do it in stages- eg get the tv and cinema aspect sorted year one, get the music sorted year 2. A few grand on the TV/cinema then a few on the music set up? Would have to stay well South of £10k, starting to sweat here!

I would check out Loewe for your TV- it is less than £10k, maybe £5k MAX (excl. their reference range, that is £10k).

I have Loewe TVs and am still amazed by the quality, my 2007 Loewe TV is better than the high-end (non-4K) Sony TV i bought last month..
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure of a budget but nowhere near 15k maybe should have posted on the used Hyundai forum instead

I could spend a few thousand and would happily do it in stages- eg get the tv and cinema aspect sorted year one, get the music sorted year 2. A few grand on the TV/cinema then a few on the music set up? Would have to stay well South of 10k, starting to sweat here!

I would check out Loewe for your TV- it is less than 10k, maybe 5k MAX (excl. their reference range, that is 10k).

I have Loewe TVs and am still amazed by the quality, my 2007 Loewe TV is better than the high-end (non-4K) Sony TV i bought last month..
Loewe TV's are very overpriced in my experience! Over complicated & over rated, plus they don't make the panels so picture quality is no better than a Sony/Panasonic/Samsung!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 01:39 AM   #15
335i nthehouse
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60MKF
Quote:

I would check out Loewe for your TV- it is less than 10k, maybe 5k MAX (excl. their reference range, that is 10k).

A top quality tv is fine for television purposes but for cinema purposes you want a projector IMO, going 100" plus gives an immersive experience that goes beyond picture quality, and my 1080p projector routinely gets comments about picture quality, a good 4k must be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #16
E60MKF
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Loewe TV's are very overpriced in my experience! Over complicated & over rated, plus they don't make the panels so picture quality is no better than a Sony/Panasonic/Samsung!
It all depends on the quality of the panel employed, you just have to look at smartphones/computers for that. Apple doesn't manufacture their displays yet their panels are far superior on their iPhones, 5K iMac and Macbook than other tech companies yet they use sharp and samsung screens.
BMW F30 MY2014 2014-2015
Appreciate 1