F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Brick Dust - paint damage possible?
GetBMWParts

04-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Brick Dust - paint damage possible?

Hi Guys

Next door have been doing renovations to their house. Its a neighbouring semi and my car is parked off street.

Of course over the months it has been pretty caked in dust from bricks and crap etc (there skip is in their front garden) also about 2 other houses next to them are also having loft's done etc.

About a month ago the render was taken off as well. Whilst I believe my car was away for that (didn't notice) there of course has been fallout and also it has been re-rendered (would have been nice to keep the car away for all of it!).

Washed car today and I have noticed whilst using the mitt rough areas, upon further inspection especially on the horizontal surfaces I can see tiny dots (about the size of a full stop!) orange/brown in colour.

There are hundreds on the horizontal surfaces especially on the bonnet etc. I have managed to test on one and use my nail to remove but it doesn't seem to disappear. What is worrying me is that there is like a halo around each one, almost like clear coat damage. we are talking small here I suppose (sugar grain for the spot and a like a white skin around it)

Whilst running my palm over you can certainly feel it. I would imagine many people won't even see/notice them.

So my solution is to buy myself a clay bar and hope that fixes it. Will try on sat.

What do you think, can brick dust damage paintwork, could using the jet wash have done it by forcing the dust into the Clearcoat) or is there damaging dust in render for a house? My concern is the tiny skin like halo around the dots

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Hope the clay bar works.

Personally as I am working next to a building site and know that some of the sharp sand used can be quite abrasive make sure I keep the car well waxed and before washing always rinse off using hose set on gentle spray - never used a jet wash after I saw what it did to brothers fiat coupe by lifting off the clear lacquer on each and every stone chip untilit blistered off. Prefer to use a noodle mitt as this lifts off the muck
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2015, 05:28 PM   #3
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks Kal, I only wished I did a prewash I do have a snow foam kit - duh

To be fair I didn't really go to close and its not a powerful wash so perhaps this was already there.

fingers crossed for the clay
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #4
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Because it seems like it has not been on there for long, I'm willing to bet the clay bar will sort it.

I think the the dots you describe are indeed sand, cement, etc. And I think the residue around it is lime.

If not claim a respray off the builders public liability insurance. That way you keep it friendly with next door.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #5
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Sounds like some sort of iron contaminant or fallout - have they been angle grinding anything?

Before you clay the car, get yourself a bottle of Korrosol from Bilt Hamber (or IronX from Carpro - there are others too), spray on, leave for a couple of mins (not in direct sunlight) and push around gently with a damp mitt. I think you'll find the marks will be gone.

Then clay bar for super smooth paint
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 06:58 AM   #6
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I wouldn't use the clay until you've eatablished what is the cause and how deep it goes. As mentioned above, if it is angle grinder/disc cutter spray, it will have etched into the paint. I've seen many a van window with metal sparks literally melted into them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks good tips guys. Getting some of that iron fallout stuff as well. Might need to call a detailer. Will keep you posted. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

just an update, OMG how good is clay!

I have never used it before but its removed 95% of the issue at hand. I gave her a wash first and used meguiar clay (with some spray) and I am so impressed!

The white clay turned orange very quickly and using the spray followed by a drying towel it is as smooth as glass. There are still some tiny marks that another bash might fix.

I applied some Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax too and the results are amazing.

Its addictive running your hand over the paint!

I might have to buy some bilt hammer clay now.

I should have taken some pics.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Glad it's worked out well.

Keep up the good work.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
Buster Blue
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F30 EB11 320i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Hi Guys

Next door have been doing renovations to their house. Its a neighbouring semi and my car is parked off street.

Of course over the months it has been pretty caked in dust from bricks and crap etc (there skip is in their front garden) also about 2 other houses next to them are also having loft's done etc.

About a month ago the render was taken off as well. Whilst I believe my car was away for that (didn't notice) there of course has been fallout and also it has been re-rendered (would have been nice to keep the car away for all of it!).

Washed car today and I have noticed whilst using the mitt rough areas, upon further inspection especially on the horizontal surfaces I can see tiny dots (about the size of a full stop!) orange/brown in colour.

There are hundreds on the horizontal surfaces especially on the bonnet etc. I have managed to test on one and use my nail to remove but it doesn't seem to disappear. What is worrying me is that there is like a halo around each one, almost like clear coat damage. we are talking small here I suppose (sugar grain for the spot and a like a white skin around it)

Whilst running my palm over you can certainly feel it. I would imagine many people won't even see/notice them.

So my solution is to buy myself a clay bar and hope that fixes it. Will try on sat.

What do you think, can brick dust damage paintwork, could using the jet wash have done it by forcing the dust into the Clearcoat) or is there damaging dust in render for a house? My concern is the tiny skin like halo around the dots

Thanks!
I,m with Beancounter 74 iron contaminant or fallout I experienced similar problems as you have described a few years ago. Do you park within say within 300m from a train station or line if so thats your problem. hope that helps.
      04-16-2015, 02:50 AM   #11
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

I recently tried carpro iron x on my missus white Mazda and I was amazed at what that showed up on the paintwork. I did the whole car and then snowfoamed again, then clayed the car followed by a spray sealant for now due to time constraints. It made a huge different, especially the rear of the car.
      04-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all, yes going to also buy some Iron X stuff - can't do any harm.

Will then look to try some bilt hamber clay.

Might wait a few weeks as the neighbours would have seen me washing car more than 3 times in a week and think I am a bit

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Remember when using fallout remover / iron x, it turns purple these days more as a marketting thing than actual ferrite reaction.

The stuff stinks, upwind of it or mask.

Both it and wheel cleaner can upset the paint on your drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:41 AM   #14
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Just bought the iron x soap/snow foam. I will give it a bash and let you know how it goes.

And yeah...it fecking honks, my missus..being the nosey cow that she is....opened the bottle and took a sniff, she nearly puked. :-/
      04-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #15
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
Just bought the iron x soap/snow foam. I will give it a bash and let you know how it goes.

And yeah...it fecking honks, my missus..being the nosey cow that she is....opened the bottle and took a sniff, she nearly puked. :-/
hehe that made me laugh mate

dust is back on the motor already within 24 hours going to have to wait until neighbours finally finish all the works
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #16
evan15281
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d

maybe get a cheap car cover?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Walesy
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
hehe that made me laugh mate

dust is back on the motor already within 24 hours going to have to wait until neighbours finally finish all the works
Serves her right! LOL

Leave it until they are finished bud...once done then give it a good going over, although a hose down every few days wont go wrong.