E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Leaking steering rack

04-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

Leaking steering rack

Hey guys,

My steering rack is leaking on the right side sleeve. I already went to BMW asking if they can repair the rack but they said that they are not allowed to repair components from suppliers.
Next try was to call the manufacturer directly which is in this case ZF. They do not repair steering racks because it is not worth the money to repair these things, it would cost nearly the same to buy a new one (I can not really believe this statement.. because a steering rack costs 2200eur at BMW).
The ZF service told me that they can probably give a discount in exchange of the old one, but currently I have no serial number of that thing, because I had no time to get under the car (will be on holiday soon). But I do not think it will be a bargain..

It's really a shame what these companies do.. for the older BMWs (e30, e46..) you can buy a seal set and go for it. But for newer model the manufacturer don't even repair these things? Kinda ridiculous "hello sir, you have a leaking steering rack, probably because of a defect O-ring. That makes 3000eur to repair"

However.. the best way would probably be to buy a used steering rack on ebay or do you have an other suggestion? My car is from January 2007, so according to the catalog this car should have a 32 10 6 771 666 steering rack (build from July 06 - April 07).
Realoem says 32 10 6 777 469 is the current one for the 335i but I can't really find one on ebay..

There as 32106784553 can be found multiple times on ebay but I'm not sure if it's suitable for my car. I found in the catalog, that for an 130i N52N both 32 10 6 784 553 and 32 10 6 777 469 are listed, but I don't know if there's a difference between those.

EDIT: hit the wrong subforum.. could someone move it? sry..
Appreciate 0