THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Chrome Exhaust Tips Help!!!!

04-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Chrome Exhaust Tips Help!!!!

Went all around town looking for a muffler shop to install the M Performance Chrome Exhaust Tips with the pipe adapters to the stock exhaust. From what I've read on the Performance Parts installation guide it looks fairly simple, just cut off a section of the stock pipes, attach the adaptors and add the chrome tips. These shops were quoting me $100+ and saying its a very difficult job or "it can't be done with clamps it must be welded."

This is really frustrating and frankly I believe it shouldn't cost more than $20. What are your opinions on this situation?? I'm thinking of attempting to do it myself but the "cutting off a portion of the stock pipes," doesn't seem like it may be a simple task to an amateur.
Please give me suggestions!!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you can rent a pipe cutter from any autopart shop also
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Holy cow, I was thinking the same - quick cheap job and just swap tips to put chrome ones on mine. But these things are welded on?
      04-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Holy cow, I was thinking the same - quick cheap job and just swap tips to put chrome ones on mine. But these things are welded on?
from what i read on the performance parts installation guide, it said nothing about welding. simply cut the stock pipes and clamp on the adapters. i think the guy i talked to was just trying to make it sound complicated to charge more. although now I am questioning whether it needs to be welded on as well...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #5
worktolivelife
Private
Rep
Drives: Mine

Definitely no welding needed, just use the clamps to upsize the original pipes to fit the chrome ones. The only reason you actually need to cut an inch or so of the original is so the clamps can be inconspicuous when used, you could just try without cutting the pipes to see how it looks but guess they would stick out to far.before fitting my MPE dealer had just put the chrome ones on mine.
Mind you guess a couple of spot weld directly onto the original would work too
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Makes sense now, but I thought that BMW would just make tips that fit, instead of needing modification. Was their original intent that the chrome tips only go on the MPE then? Hence the need for modification to make it fit a standard M235?

Seems odd for BMW who created a complete aftermarket for their own cars (MP) to still require modification to make the stuff fit.
      04-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
bimmerfan235
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
Makes sense now, but I thought that BMW would just make tips that fit, instead of needing modification. Was their original intent that the chrome tips only go on the MPE then? Hence the need for modification to make it fit a standard M235?

Seems odd for BMW who created a complete aftermarket for their own cars (MP) to still require modification to make the stuff fit.
yea, im pretty sure the chrome tips were intended specifically for the MPE.

anyways, still kind of stuck on how difficult it will be to cut the stock exhaust myself. no idea what kind of machinery i need, how expensive it is, and if i am able to cut the pipes while the stock exhaust is still on the car or if it has to be removed before any changes are made.

ugh...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan235 View Post
yea, im pretty sure the chrome tips were intended specifically for the MPE.

anyways, still kind of stuck on how difficult it will be to cut the stock exhaust myself. no idea what kind of machinery i need, how expensive it is, and if i am able to cut the pipes while the stock exhaust is still on the car or if it has to be removed before any changes are made.

ugh...
look here how to cut

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...hlight=Install
Appreciate 0