EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

05-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive ACS Springs St

Retirement car choice...help...M4 v E92 Comp M3 v GT4 Caymanv New C63

Approaching my early retirement but will carry on working part time self employed.

I have been considering what to purchase as a retirement car that is capable of track work and European trips.

I am a serious track visitor and have a track toy but the time has come to consider the market and find a car that won't drop like a stone but is capable of long trips and is serious on track....a perhaps impossible task.
My achiles heal is whether to go PCP or buy a slow burner on depreciation

I would like to hear from ex E92 owners who have gone M4 and peoples thoughts on whether the Comp pack cars will be very sought after in the future.
I gather the M4 is a torque monster and quicker all round but what will the residuals be like 3-4 yrs down the line?

I like cars such as a GT3 or some older performance cars but I am tempted with cars like the Cayman GT4 or GTS.

What would you do PCP keeping cash for other things or buy an older slow burner?

What about a C63?

RS3???.... very tuneable for track when released and they seem to hold value very well looking at the older model although it's not a car that seems to impress.
9A 2 litre 210bhp Tim Stiles Racing Slick 50
020 Quaiffe Box with 4.25 FD.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msportman View Post
Approaching my early retirement but will carry on working part time self employed.

I have been considering what to purchase as a retirement car that is capable of track work and European trips.

I am a serious track visitor and have a track toy but the time has come to consider the market and find a car that won't drop like a stone but is capable of long trips and is serious on track....a perhaps impossible task.
My achiles heal is whether to go PCP or buy a slow burner on depreciation

I would like to hear from ex E92 owners who have gone M4 and peoples thoughts on whether the Comp pack cars will be very sought after in the future.
I gather the M4 is a torque monster and quicker all round but what will the residuals be like 3-4 yrs down the line?

I like cars such as a GT3 or some older performance cars but I am tempted with cars like the Cayman GT4 or GTS.

What would you do PCP keeping cash for other things or buy an older slow burner?

What about a C63?

RS3???.... very tuneable for track when released and they seem to hold value very well looking at the older model although it's not a car that seems to impress.
Try a nice clean 1M as an option, it's great on the road and fun on the track. Values are pretty rock solid too.
Denso
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #3
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denso View Post
Try a nice clean 1M as an option, it's great on the road and fun on the track. Values are pretty rock solid too.
Denso
And very rare too.....good shout.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #4
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Unless you've already put a deposit down the GT4 is out, unless you'd wait around for a used to appear, all UK sold out well before launch. Of the cars you mention GT3, GT4 would be my pick WAY over a BMW. Nice decisions to have though, is there a budget you're setting for us to spend for you
      05-03-2015, 02:00 PM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

How about a poverty spec M2 at launch and get it tuned to the max, would be quite nice for a BMW option.....
      05-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep

£60-£70k

Was considering V10 manual R8 ....they are slow burners.

V12 Vantage would be a nice option but sadly a tad over what I want to pay.

Went out around Combe in a manual car last year.....lovely!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msportman
60-70k

Was considering V10 manual R8 ....they are slow burners.

V12 Vantage would be a nice option but sadly a tad over what I want to pay.

Went out around Combe in a manual car last year.....lovely!
Good shout, a manual in the outgoing R8 woukd depreciate pretty slow getting an approved used.
      05-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

The manual V10 R8 has lost more money than the Auto so not sure if that's a wise move.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I would look at an m5 or x5m for my retirement car. More comfy still fast.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #10
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
I am surprised you have not identified a Alpina B4 /B3 on your list, or even the D4 EVO apparently and Autocar love it.

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 05-04-2015 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:19 AM   #11
J4UTY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I just sold my R8 Spyder for an M3 F80 as I have just had a new addition to the family.
I can say I thought I would miss the R8 but these M3/M4 cars are just great all round fun.
I have had a Porsche 997 turbo, AMV8, and Others over the years..
However I can say the other great option would be the Cayman GT4, but as someone said you need to have ordered one or know of one coming up for sale.
Ps- Hello from a fellow West Country owner.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4UTY View Post
I just sold my R8 Spyder for an M3 F80 as I have just had a new addition to the family.
I can say I thought I would miss the R8 but these M3/M4 cars are just great all round fun.
However I can say the other great option would be the Cayman GT4, but as someone said you need to have ordered one or know of one coming up for sale.

I know the GT4 have sold out but I have a contact who could probably source one. The only reservation is whether it maybe too hard core for the wife on long haul Euro trips.

Haven't considered Alpina TBH but I do fancy looking at the M4 and buying some nice tuning goodies and personalizing the car and just keeping it.
It seems to tick many of boxes. The V10 R8 would seem to be more of an occasion but as an everyday proposition it may have it's limitations. The usual parking / fear of vandalism or knocks on everyday use.
Also I don't know how comfy and practical it will be on the long haul trips.

I have had a quick look at the M4 forum across the pond and there seems to be some nice bits for the M4/M3 currently making them individual.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
J4UTY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msportman
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4UTY View Post

I know the GT4 have sold out but I have a contact who could probably source one. The only reservation is whether it maybe too hard core for the wife on long haul Euro trips.

Haven't considered Alpina TBH but I do fancy looking at the M4 and buying some nice tuning goodies and personalizing the car and just keeping it.
It seems to tick many of boxes. The V10 R8 would seem to be more of an occasion but as an everyday proposition it may have it's limitations. The usual parking / fear of vandalism or knocks on everyday use.
Also I don't know how comfy and practical it will be on the long haul trips.

I have had a quick look at the M4 forum across the pond and there seems to be some nice bits for the M4/M3 currently making them individual.
I think the M4 will tick all the boxes.. Especially on the road trips, I did a few In the R8 and it takes its toll on you.
Still great fun and enjoyed the times we had, it will be fun in what ever car.

The M4 will attract less attention that's for sure as an everyday car, and as I found having a weekend monster in the garage was great but as I work a lot I never seemed to use it as much as I liked.

With regards to mods, there is so much to go for and I have a list of parts already ordered as I can't have a stock car for more than a few weeks

Good luck with your choice
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

just traded a E92 M3 CP last week for a M4, it's early days but so far I'm impressed. I had a E90 manual M3 before the E92 and didn't notice much difference TBH, apart from going from manual to DCT.

Nice choices you have there take your time and get it right
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Msportman
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryF View Post
just traded a E92 M3 CP last week for a M4, it's early days but so far I'm impressed. I had a E90 manual M3 before the E92 and didn't notice much difference TBH, apart from going from manual to DCT.

Nice choices you have there take your time and get it right
Competition cars are very desirable. Did you find any difference in the handling between the E90 and E92?

How would you compare the M4 to the E92? The E92 seems have dated quickly and I find the early E92 rather plain looking fron the rear especially the light clusters....I think the old CSL's look 'butch' in comparison. Did you find DCT more suited to the V8 than the manual car. I read people say the V8 is rather lack lustre low down and they need revving hard to keep more mundane cars at bay?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I've had my M4 since Sep and also traded from an M3 Comp Pack which I had new in 2012.
M4 is better in every way except for:-

You won't get around as quickly in cold/wet weather due to the low down torque easily spinning the wheels. However, winter tyres will probably help there.

I find the car to be not as planted (certainly on bumpy British B Roads) compared to the E92 comp pack. So I would perhaps plan to do something with the suspension assuming US roads near you are like the ones here. This is my biggest gripe.

I'll not mention the sound as it's subjective, but if you're not coming directy out of a V8 M3 then you'll not be trying to compare.
A guy near me has not long bought an E92 and has done the stock exhaust mod. He passes my house every morning and I love listening to that thing, Gad damn him!

Bob
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #17
GarryF
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SSII E90 M3

No didn't see much difference, the CP alloys are much nicer imo though

The gearing is different in the manual, it could hit about 110 vs 90ish in the dct. Dct is very good, no flaws in it I can see.

And yes, you have to "Rev the nuts off it" vs turbo cars, I doubt I'd be much different pace wise e92 vs f80,

I am a bit biased to the f80 having just got it last week, much better performance sub 5k rpm, it's the next generation so just about every thing is better
Appreciate 0