2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 rental for a day

05-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

So I've never been a huge fan of Bimmers beyond the 3. They do small and (relatively) light cars very well, but I've never felt the same about their 5, and 7 series cars. They've always felt a little too big and floaty. I'm currently in an F31 m-sport that I absolutely love. Had a baby last year and we have a dog, so we had to upgrade to something bigger than our E90 and the F31 was perfect, never considered the F10 because frankly we prefer wagons and hatchbacks, and well, see my comment above.

However, my wife had the F31 yesterday for a day trip so I got myself an F10 that Zipcar had here I Manhattan close by. I had wanted the 3 but none were available, so I acquiesced. Since it was a rental, as soon as I hopped in, I threw the shifter into sport and changed the setting to Sport.

I expected it to be a pig, but even though the extra heft was noticeable, it wafted along with no drama or floaty-ness whatsoever. Obviously the F31 in the same settings (I have DHP, so it helps some), is a little rocket, but driving it this morning, I noticed how skittish it could be taking corners and even on the straights. I mean, it's not frenetic, but the F10 was planted and staid. It moved effortlessly and confidently. And here's the kicker. It was a base model 528i xDrive. No frills, no nothing. About 2500 miles on the odo. And I found myself missing it just a little this morning.

Other positives:
1. Even the standard seats were more comfortable than the sport seats in the F31. Not surprising, but I didn't expect that much of a difference
2. Cabin is obviously quieter. Didn't hear the engine (maybe not a plus ), only heard minimal wind noise, although the F31 is pretty quiet too

Negative:
Why is the center stack and console so poorly designed ergonomically? The idrive dial is practically facing away from me. The cup holders are like 1/4" from the bulbous shifter, and the ac/radio stuff is very low. Frankly it was annoying to use, and I was happy to be back in the F31 cockpit for these reasons

Anyone else jump from a 3 up to a 5 and feel the same way? I see plenty of folks going the other direction because they're tired of driving a 'boat', but it didn't feel that way at all to me. I'm only 7 months into my lease, but I'm already building 535i's for our next possible lease. I figure by then, the little one will be in a forward facing seat which will save some room, and a sedan may be slightly more tenable. Right now the wagon is sweet in terms of space and convenience.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

There are probably a lot more owners going from a 3 to a 5 series than the other way around. We had a E90 a few years ago and love the handling and the steering. When it came time for a trade in, we looked at the F30, F10 as well other luxury brands. The F30 did not impress us, it did not drive as nice as the E90 and the material look and feels cheap. I thought that the base 5 series perform pretty close to the base F30 but when one starts to add suspension options, the 3 series will handle better. Comfort wise, hands down the 5 series is more comfortable, the multi-contour seats on the 5 series are simply amazing, much better than the 3 series' sport seat. If you spec out a 535i with DHP and multi-contour seats, you will get the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I went from a 2008 335i convertible to a 2011 535xi and now a 535xd. I loved my 335i, but after driving an F10 for almost 5 years, I can't see myself going back to a 3/4 series. I really like the look of the 4GC, but every time I'm at the dealer and sit in one, I can't get over how much more refined the interior is in my F10. It is just a different class, as it should be. I think the F10 has one of the best BMW interiors and is a great place to be. I like how my car drives (I have DHP), especially on long trips (amazing seats). I think if you liked a basic 528i that much, you are probably really going to like a 535i with DHP and will not miss your F31 too much.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX
I went from a 2008 335i convertible to a 2011 535xi and now a 535xd. I loved my 335i, but after driving an F10 for almost 5 years, I can't see myself going back to a 3/4 series. I really like the look of the 4GC, but every time I'm at the dealer and sit in one, I can't get over how much more refined the interior is in my F10. It is just a different class, as it should be. I think the F10 has one of the best BMW interiors and is a great place to be. I like how my car drives (I have DHP), especially on long trips (amazing seats). I think if you liked a basic 528i that much, you are probably really going to like a 535i with DHP and will not miss your F31 too much.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. May have to browse Swapalease.com today!

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
.... I think the F10 has one of the best BMW interiors and is a great place to be. I like how my car drives (I have DHP), especially on long trips (amazing seats). I think if you liked a basic 528i that much, you are probably really going to like a 535i with DHP and will not miss your F31 too much.
Absolutely agree, the Five is a great place to be.

I'm running an F11 535i wagon with Adaptive Drive (DHP), had it 2 1/2 years. Every mile is a pleasure to drive, whatever the conditions or driving mood I'm in. For me, the F11 5-series is a perfect blend of all that I want from a vehicle. I had downsized to an E91 wagon from an E39 5-series, was in the market for an F31. The F10 convinced me to up size again, so good to get back into a Five.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
So I've never been a huge fan of Bimmers beyond the 3. They do small and (relatively) light cars very well, but I've never felt the same about their 5, and 7 series cars. They've always felt a little too big and floaty. I'm currently in an F31 m-sport that I absolutely love. Had a baby last year and we have a dog, so we had to upgrade to something bigger than our E90 and the F31 was perfect, never considered the F10 because frankly we prefer wagons and hatchbacks, and well, see my comment above.
I never understood why people expect 3 and 5, and especially 7 series to behave the same on the road. How could they possibly compare given obvious differences in size, weight and different target buyer they are build for.

Yes, 3 is great, nimble and has lots going for it, but 5 and 7 are completely different beasts (much better "complete package" in my humble opinion). It all boils down to what you value more, and decision is easy from there.

I also disagree totally on your take on ergonomics of 5 series, and I'm not the only one. Several of my friends (3 series owners) commented repeatedly how cabin in 5 feels more like a cockpit, more upscale, everything perfectly placed and seating position being just fantastic comparing to their cars and I tend to agree with them. In my view, having driven many, again, 3 is great, but simply does not compare, does not come close to even, as a "total package" to 5 series.

And last, what current car/model do you feel is "better handling" in same class and price range, comparing to 5 series ?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:36 AM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34
Quote:
I never understood why people expect 3 and 5, and especially 7 series to behave the same on the road. How could they possibly compare given obvious differences in size, weight and different target buyer they are build for.

Yes, 3 is great, nimble and has lots going for it, but 5 and 7 are completely different beasts (much better "complete package" in my humble opinion). It all boils down to what you value more, and decision is easy from there.

I also disagree totally on your take on ergonomics of 5 series, and I'm not the only one. Several of my friends (3 series owners) commented repeatedly how cabin in 5 feels more like a cockpit, more upscale, everything perfectly placed and seating position being just fantastic comparing to their cars and I tend to agree with them. In my view, having driven many, again, 3 is great, but simply does not compare, does not come close to even, as a "total package" to 5 series.

And last, what current car/model do you feel is "better handling" in same class and price range, comparing to 5 series ?
I was referring specifically to the center console and the center stack controls. The idrive dial feels far away compared to the F31, and the center stack controls sit low. And I had a cup of coffee sitting in the cup holder that I couldn't get out without some effort as the cup was nearly touching the shifter. The overall cockpit felt fine otherwise.

As for better handling in the class, I don't think there are any. A6 and E class are just fine but nothing special. Again, my point was that the F10 handled very well, above my expectations. I was in a previous gen 5 a couple years back as a loaner and it was absolutely terrible. Maybe it was just that 5, but suffice it to say, I had low expectations for the F10, but was pleasantly surprised. I can only imagine how it must feel in M-sport trim with DHP, and with the N55 under the hood.

I couldn't picture myself driving one before yesterday, now I really want one.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think the height of the centre stack is just something you won't notice after a week. It is lower, but I think the benefit is the integrated screen with a flatter dash rather than the i-pad-ish thing stuck on the 3/4 series. It is a personal thing, but I much prefer the integrated look, looks more finished to me. I agree about the location of the cup holders, it is not ideal, but I rarely use them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
.... I think the F10 has one of the best BMW interiors and is a great place to be. I like how my car drives (I have DHP), especially on long trips (amazing seats). I think if you liked a basic 528i that much, you are probably really going to like a 535i with DHP and will not miss your F31 too much.
Absolutely agree, the Five is a great place to be.

I'm running an F11 535i wagon with Adaptive Drive (DHP), had it 2 1/2 years. Every mile is a pleasure to drive, whatever the conditions or driving mood I'm in. For me, the F11 5-series is a perfect blend of all that I want from a vehicle. I had downsized to an E91 wagon from an E39 5-series, was in the market for an F31. The F10 convinced me to up size again, so good to get back into a Five.

HighlandPete
Yeah, if F11 were offered here in the U.S., I'd likely be in one since I could have test driven one and been sold on it. All these damn crossovers and SUVs are why we can't have nice things in the States.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I have owned an -87 325ix,-97 320i, -03 325Ci Clubsport and an -04 M3.
I made the swap to an F11 (wagon) and this is just a completely different thing.
Found myself in a -14 3 in the showroom, and then walked over and got into a 5, and as some have mentioned, the 3 seemed rather cheap in comparison, and I felt much more "at home" in the 5.
Yes its not as sporty or as agile as the 3, and you do feel the extra weight and the size when driving.
Doubt I will ever get a 3 or 4 series. Think I will stay with 5's or change to a Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the height of the centre stack is just something you won't notice after a week. It is lower, but I think the benefit is the integrated screen with a flatter dash rather than the i-pad-ish thing stuck on the 3/4 series. It is a personal thing, but I much prefer the integrated look, looks more finished to me. I agree about the location of the cup holders, it is not ideal, but I rarely use them.
I'm sure I'd get used to it quickly. I almost never use the cup holders in my car either - in fact I have the piece that covers them and just use it as a shelf for whatever.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
I was referring specifically to the center console and the center stack controls. The idrive dial feels far away compared to the F31, and the center stack controls sit low. And I had a cup of coffee sitting in the cup holder that I couldn't get out without some effort as the cup was nearly touching the shifter. The overall cockpit felt fine otherwise.

As for better handling in the class, I don't think there are any. A6 and E class are just fine but nothing special. Again, my point was that the F10 handled very well, above my expectations. I was in a previous gen 5 a couple years back as a loaner and it was absolutely terrible. Maybe it was just that 5, but suffice it to say, I had low expectations for the F10, but was pleasantly surprised. I can only imagine how it must feel in M-sport trim with DHP, and with the N55 under the hood.

I couldn't picture myself driving one before yesterday, now I really want one.
Fair enough

Funny that lots of previous series 5 owners are trashing handling of this car, and I didn't think the previous generation was "that much better" not to mention it didn't look nearly as good and lacked space in the back.

Now, if you liked 528 this much after 1 day, I can only imagine how impressed you'll be going up the 5 range (not to mention maybe finding one with DHP or sport suspension to try). Opposite to you, my initial impression was good, but not exactly "blown away", but that was because I expected a lot from 5 series....that is.... until I found one with DHP. For me, there was no going back after test driving that one. The whole ownership experience only got better from there. I kept finding things I liked about the car for months to come. As far as center console stack, might just be matter of getting used to it, I find everything to be "just perfect" in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #13
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One more comment about the F10 interior. When and if you do order one, go for the Nappa leather if possible. I didn't on my first F10 thinking it was not a big deal. I have it in my second F10 and I admit I was wrong, it is a big deal. Make the interior that much more expensive feeling.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #15
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One more comment about the F10 interior. When and if you do order one, go for the Nappa leather if possible. I didn't on my first F10 thinking it was not a big deal. I have it in my second F10 and I admit I was wrong, it is a big deal. Make the interior that much more expensive feeling.
Not the merino Individual leather? I assumed that was the way to go, even though I don't love the color choices. Anyone with some experience with merino vs Nappa?

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't think we get the merino option in Canada, only Individual exterior colours are available on the BMW configurator, not interior colours. Maybe it is something the dealer can special order but I didn't check because I like the Mocha nappa colour. It might be that the merino is another step up form nappa just as nappa was from dakota.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #17
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think we get the merino option in Canada, only Individual exterior colours are available on the BMW configurator, not interior colours. Maybe it is something the dealer can special order but I didn't check because I like the Mocha nappa colour. It might be that the merino is another step up form nappa just as nappa was from dakota.
It's an Individual leather option here, although I haven't read up on it to see if it's really worth it. I like the Nappa interiors I've been in and would be totally happy. The Individual interior color choices aren't that great anyways

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #18
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You know, the more you talk about colours, etc., the more you are going to want one now!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #19
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You know, the more you talk about colours, etc., the more you are going to want one now!!
It's KILLING me. I want to test drive a 535i like right now. Maybe I can even find one on a lot with DHP...

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #20
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Interesting tha you didn't find the 528i to be floaty. To me that standard suspension is way too soft and floaty to the point of being downright dangerous in emergency handling. Every undulation in the road causes the car to pitch and sway, which I suppose is how a luxury ride is defined but to me it's annoying.
The MSport suspension available on the rear wheel drive 535 & 550's is definitely better - still fairly soft with a bit of float, but the car is much more stable and planted. Of course DHP gives you your choice.
      05-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #21
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor
Interesting tha you didn't find the 528i to be floaty. To me that standard suspension is way too soft and floaty to the point of being downright dangerous in emergency handling. Every undulation in the road causes the car to pitch and sway, which I suppose is how a luxury ride is defined but to me it's annoying.
The MSport suspension available on the rear wheel drive 535 & 550's is definitely better - still fairly soft with a bit of float, but the car is much more stable and planted. Of course DHP gives you your choice.
Low expectations I guess. And I haven't been in a 5 since the previous gen. I mean, I definitely felt the heft. My 3 feels more nimble, but somehow...less confident? I don't remember the A6 feeling this good (I found it to be pretty shitty, honestly), and the E class is well, as boring as a Lexus to drive, and definitely floaty. I need to get into a 535 for a test drive...

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Drive a rwd 535 m sport with DHP, the luxury seating package and a new set of non runflat pilot sports. A very nice car indeed. Not a sports car, but a beautiful, perfectly sized daily driver. Get it fitted with individual leather and wood and it is an awesome place to be.
Appreciate 0