proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #1
NOVABMW2015
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Need Help From Frozen Members

I'm almost positive I will order one of the Frozen colors. Just have a few questions regarding maintenance and up keep. I will most likely being driving it 4-5 days a week very short commute less than 10 miles and garaged in Winter

Is it possible to wrap your frozen car with Xpel Ultimate without taking away from the Frozen finish?

What are the best products to use to keep the frozen paint in excellent condition? (soap,cloths, etc)

I am going to keep this car for 5-7 years so I want to get some expert opinions before I spend the 5K.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Arcoril
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S, AP2 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVABMW2015 View Post
I'm almost positive I will order one of the Frozen colors. Just have a few questions regarding maintenance and up keep. I will most likely being driving it 4-5 days a week very short commute less than 10 miles and garaged in Winter

Is it possible to wrap your frozen car with Xpel Ultimate without taking away from the Frozen finish?

What are the best products to use to keep the frozen paint in excellent condition? (soap,cloths, etc)

I am going to keep this car for 5-7 years so I want to get some expert opinions before I spend the 5K.

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how it would look when put over frozen colors, but Xpel has their own line of matte film: Xpel Stealth Film. If you're considering wrapping the entire car then you could potentially save money by going with a non-frozen color and adding the matte sheen via the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcoril
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVABMW2015 View Post

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure how it would look when put over frozen colors, but Xpel has their own line of matte film: Xpel Stealth Film. If you're considering wrapping the entire car then you could potentially save money by going with a non-frozen color and adding the matte sheen via the PPF.
This.
      05-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #4
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcoril View Post
+2

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #5
Myaddiction
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
You can't put a normal clear wrap on them and I'm not sure how a stain wrap would turn out on a frozen paint. Frozen paints are not for DD's there is no way to correct any imperfections short of a repaint. Everything stains them due to the open pores of the paint, such as bird droppings, tree droppings and bugs. You can't polish out scratches either since it would leave a shiny spot on a matte color.

They look amazing but are for weekend or once in a blue moon cars. If you're going to daily it save the 5k and get a normal color then use the stealth wrap everyone recommended is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Here we go, the start of another gloom and doom thread about frozen paints lol. You'll be fine with Xpel Stealth in the same places you'd put the regular Xpel or similar on a gloss coat paint. And frozen paints do NOT have "open pores" so don't worry about contaminants soaking in and staining. That's laughable.

OP please read the threads/posts submitted by OWNERS of frozen colours (search, there's quite a few) before making a decision rather than listening to old wives tales. Yes the overall maintenance is "different" but if you use the right products (eg. Dr. Beasley's matte products, Swissvax Opaque line, BMW's Nano Wax & matte products, etc) you'll be fine. It's true that you can't buff out scratches and stone chips are more difficult to repair so you'll have to live with those realities. Frozen paints aren't for everyone so do your own due diligence research before making a decision.
      05-10-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Or save your money. Buy normal paint and have it wrapped properly by a reputable vehicle wrapping company.

Buying the frozen paint is just a complete waste. At least with a wrap you will be able to replace panel that are damaged while the whole time protecting your brand new paint.

your about to pay extra for a frozen colour that is hard to resell, then pay extra again to "wrap" in paint guard??

Why not just get normal paint and pay nothing. Then pay less than the paint guard for a wrap in the colour of your choice?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordon335 View Post
Or save your money. Buy normal paint and have it wrapped properly by a reputable vehicle wrapping company.

Buying the frozen paint is just a complete waste. At least with a wrap you will be able to replace panel that are damaged while the whole time protecting your brand new paint.

your about to pay extra for a frozen colour that is hard to resell, then pay extra again to "wrap" in paint guard??

Why not just get normal paint and pay nothing. Then pay less than the paint guard for a wrap in the colour of your choice?
+1 great advice
Appreciate 0