BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
1198r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Opinion of Pilot Sport Cup + in bad weather

OK - I can report on driving in quite severe weather conditions.

Went to my local golf driving range to hone the tiger swing . On way roads were mix of damp and dry. E46 csl said hello on the way too (man that car still looks good). Anyway, I pushed the front and rear quite a bit - all with traction on and the car behaved very well. The front did not slide once and the rear did not require any electronic intervention. I had complete confidence in the car and tyres.

Whilst hitting 300 yard drives and peppering the flags the weather went all weird. First lightning, then thunder then the most amazing hail storm I have ever witnessed. Little white ice rocks fell for a good three minutes, transforming the car park and roads into a very wet and slippery place. The first thing I did was take advantage of the big space I was in and floored it in first with traction on. It was amazing how the car kept going in a straight line whilst the dash flashed yellow all the time. Out onto the road and the ice was quickly turning to water and there were large amounts of standing water. I drove along A road towards motorway and have to say that I did not have one issue with tyres/car getting out of control. yes electronics were all on but I drove the car how I would with other tyres on in these conditions - safely! Front end grip was tested by pushing it a bit round some corners with no standing water and I did not have one slide! I also tried an emergency brake from 50mph and car stayed in straight line - abs did not come on at all - which i'm still trying to fathom.

I then went on motorway knowing there would be a lot of standing water. I went up to 85mph and again no problem. Steering went a little light over some streams running across carriageway - but this would have happened with other tyres also. Coming off motorway I went round bend at 60mph and again front tracked really well and no problems with rear either.

Heading back home then, I took deep breath and pressed m button . I floored it in 2nd and car propelled forward with no problems. I pushed front going round a couple of islands and again no understeer.

I did floor it in 2nd coming out of one island and the rear came round SO easily but it was not snappy or scary - admittedly I was not expecting it to happen so quickly or easily but it was all controllable. What it told me was that you really do need all gizmos on if you want to push it and not look like Bo or Luke Duke, but if you do......

So in summary, I think the cup + are excellent tyres and will be more than happy to drive in wet with them. Obviously they are new and have their full tread depth of 4mm and clearly as this runs out, wet grip will too, but hey, that will be time to fit another set. I think they have made an excellent handing car into a awesome one and I will not be using anything else!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
An Englishman with a Bo and Luke Duke reference made me chuckle...thanks.

The reason the ABS did not activate on the emergency brake pull is because the E-brake is a completely separate system from the foot brake and has no ABS when it's activated. The E-brake is a purely mechanical system that uses a drum inside the rear disks to slow the vehicle or hold it in place when the car is stationary. ABS has no control over the E-brake system. The vast majority of vehicles with 4 wheel disk brakes use a similar system.
      02-07-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Cheers - very useful information.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'm confused now. Did you mean emergency brake as in stomping on the pedal as much as possible or did you mean using the hand brake?

Best regards, south

Last edited by southlight; 02-07-2008 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
I'm confused now. Did you mean emergency brake as in stomping on the pedal as much as possible or did you mean using the hand brake?

Best regards, south
He means just stamping on the foot brake as in an "emergency" stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1198r View Post
Cheers - very useful information.
What's useful information? Skierman64 got completely the wrong end of the stick.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
An Englishman with a Bo and Luke Duke reference made me chuckle...thanks.

The reason the ABS did not activate on the emergency brake pull is because the E-brake is a completely separate system from the foot brake and has no ABS when it's activated. The E-brake is a purely mechanical system that uses a drum inside the rear disks to slow the vehicle or hold it in place when the car is stationary. ABS has no control over the E-brake system. The vast majority of vehicles with 4 wheel disk brakes use a similar system.

That stick I was talking about in the post above.....you got the wrong end of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Heading back home then, I took deep breath and pressed m button
First of all, thanks very much for the reports on the PSC+ tyres! This is one of my concerns. I would also appreciate it if you could keep us updated on the wear rate of the fronts and rears so we can estimate how often we'll need to change tyres.

Secondly, I laugh when people talk about "pushing the M button". This is of no use unless people know what settings you are using for the M button.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
southlight
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
He means just stamping on the foot brake as in an "emergency" stop.
So skierman confused me, I guess emergency brake is AE for parking/hand brake.

Quote:
Secondly, I laugh when people talk about "pushing the M button". This is of no use unless people know what settings you are using for the M button.
LOL, I'm now thinking of someone pressing M button with all settings to "unchanged", what an experience.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
LOL, I'm now thinking of someone pressing M button with all settings to "unchanged", what an experience.
\

You know what? I bet there will be some people who will buy the M3 just because it's the "best 3 series", and won't have a clue what all the buttons do, and won't bother to read the manual. They will press the M button without configuring it in advance, and then will wonder why it doesn't seem to do anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I hear what your saying about M Button settings and apologies - to me the only reason for having that button are so that everything is set to extreme - and they are my settings since I programmed it within the first 30 minutes of ownership!

Will gladly keep you updated on wear of fronts and rears - but clearly if I track the car, they won't last long
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 04:07 PM   #12
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I hear what your saying about M Button settings and apologies - to me the only reason for having that button are so that everything is set to extreme - and they are my settings since I programmed it within the first 30 minutes of ownership!

Will gladly keep you updated on wear of fronts and rears - but clearly if I track the car, they won't last long

I spend most of my time waiting for delivery trying to decide how I'm going to configure the M button.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #13
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I spend most of my time waiting for delivery trying to decide how I'm going to configure the M button.
After having settled on that you can start thinking about the 8 preset buttons.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #14
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Yes, I read the OP wrong. I thought he pulled up on the hand brake (AKA parking brake or emergency brake) at 50 mph.

My bad.
      02-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
1198r
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
All good things come to those who wait
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I too have driven on PSC in the pouring rain. they are fine if you are not stupid about it.