THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes H&R Springs on stock shocks

05-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
2twenty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i 6spd M-Sport

H&R Springs on stock shocks

Hi everyone.

New to the BMW world. I recently placed an order for a base (non-M Sport but did get the 6spd manual =D) 228i and def wanted to give it a bit of a drop, when it comes in.

Anyone running the H&R Sport springs on the stock shocks with good results? How long have the shocks lasted? Pics?

I realize many are running them on the M-Sport 228i's but those come with more aggressive shocks which, I would imagine, are prob better suited for the H&R Sport springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slowI View Post
Hi everyone.

New to the BMW world. I recently placed an order for a base (non-M Sport but did get the 6spd manual =D) 228i and def wanted to give it a bit of a drop, when it comes in.

Anyone running the H&R Sport springs on the stock shocks with good results? How long have the shocks lasted? Pics?

I realize many are running them on the M-Sport 228i's but those come with more aggressive shocks which, I would imagine, are prob better suited for the H&R Sport springs.
I have seen couple threads about this lately. Lots of guys get the HR springs, so far stock shocks are doing a good job.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

I hate to be a buzz kill but my shocks have been acting really bouncy ever since I was about 13k miles (more than likely they're blown). I'm at 18k now as I've been waiting on some coilovers and everytime I get into another 2 series with H&R springs I can tell the difference in the stiffness and ride quality. As most of you guys know though... I do track my car heavily on the roadcourse which has led to the premature damage of the shocks. My vehicle did come with the M sport suspension from factory so I have the upgraded shocks as opposed to stock non M sport suspension. If you're not going to track the car it'll be a good choice aesthetically otherwise just save your money and buy coilovers.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #4
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Dumb question but does the M235 come with EDC?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
supremepower
Supreme Leader
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80, 996GT2, 996TT, 991RS 356b

We installed H&R Sport Springs on the stock shocks. No issues

Sales & service of BBS Street & Motorsport products.
BBS Highest Volume Dealer 2015 thru 2022
All the top brands at the prices and service you can count on. Professional installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post
Yes it does, it is standard on the M235i and xdrive versions.
      06-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post
Yes it does, it is standard on the M235i and xdrive versions.
Thank you for clarifying Hoppy!!! I tried searching all over but couldn't figure it out.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
2twenty8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i 6spd M-Sport

Ended up changing my order to include the M-Sport.

This forum has convinced me lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I have seen couple threads about this lately. Lots of guys get the HR springs, so far stock shocks are doing a good job.
I would say the HR spring set was great to get the appearance (reduce wheel gap) and improved ride (tighter, less bouncy). However, one strut has sprung a leak due to the lowering so I am forced to move over to proper struts. I have seen a few other posts noting the same decreased life expectancy of the OEM struts when lowered on springs. Not all experience it, most don't, but fair warning.

If I had the choice to do it again, I would have skipped the springs and went straight to coilovers or matched springs/struts (like Koni yellows and HR as an example).
      07-18-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
I would say the HR spring set was great to get the appearance (reduce wheel gap) and improved ride (tighter, less bouncy). However, one strut has sprung a leak due to the lowering so I am forced to move over to proper struts. I have seen a few other posts noting the same decreased life expectancy of the OEM struts when lowered on springs. Not all experience it, most don't, but fair warning.

If I had the choice to do it again, I would have skipped the springs and went straight to coilovers or matched springs/struts (like Koni yellows and HR as an example).
Yes i agree with you about some bad experiences. Most wont experience any problems but i OEM sturts + aftermarket springs might decrease strut life expectancy

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

the drop is actually very little. I have the msport suspension, front drops about 1 inch and rear is probably 0.8inch. The drop is very similar to my previous ARK springs made for daily driver. Never had an issue with stock strut other than a harsh ride. The msport shocks are actually quite good.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #12
tencazzo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport

Waiting for my H&R springs coming this week. Meanwhile found ST springs from KW, did anyone have experience with them in comparing to H&R on stock shocks? Drop is 30mm - msport susp = 20mm, it is only 5mm difference to H&R, but still...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post

As an update - I have switched back to the OEM springs after being on the HR springs / stock struts for about 8 months. Why? Three of the four struts are now leaking and no longer extend under no load (when off of the vehicle). After contacting HR, they reported their warranty only covers the springs, not the application to any vehicle.

Obviously not everyone is having this experience, most are doing fine. However, some should be aware that the 2 series suspension is smaller and more delicate than previous BMWs. I had purchased Koni's as a solution (wrong parts), and they were easily 40% larger in diameter than the stock M235 struts. The M235 was never meant to go outside of its OEM tolerances.

Recommendation: Be aware if you go springs only, but I would recommend going coils if you really need to be lower / more firm. The EDC can be coded out, you don't need the EDC modules - just talk to Pikachu on the coding forums here.