BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
sergkoko
Comrade
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4 DCT

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
ER DP, JB4 and KNN filters install notes

Just figured I would post some notes on my installation of the downpipes, JB4 and KNN filters.

The downpipes:
I did this in my garage with two jacks and two jackstands. I used the first jack to jack up the car just enough to get the other (long/heavyduty) jack under the center jack point under the engine.
I let the car rest on two jackstands(with chalks), and went to work. The factory downpipes come out pretty easy the trickiest part for me was getting my hands up to the mounting bracket bolt on the long downpipe. I didnt have to remove the exhaust but I did lower it a bit during the install of the new pipes. The key for me was to not get frustrated with the limited space and take it one nut/bolt at a time.
Prior to removing the downpipes I unscrewed the primary O2 sensors from them and disconnected the secondaries at the harness by the tranny.

Installing the new pipes is not too hard to figure out but does take some creative hand work to align everything. As some of the other write ups mentioned it is important to not forger to reuse the exhaust gaskets. Note on those: the two shiny donuts that mate the exhaust to the downpipes are very fragile and can be ruined if you are not careful.

The worst part about the job was the lack of room for tools in the DP area, as there are lots of sharp edges that can hurt you.

JB4: With this being my third JB4 car the JB4 went in very easily, the only thing I suggest is when running the USB cable into the interior, use the little grommeted hole by the passenger side of the winshield. Pop out the small grommet plug, run a wire into the interior, grab it and pull inside with the usb cable tied to the other side. Same goes for running it into the glove box, remove the dummy cap inside the glovebox and run a wire down to where your USB cable came in through the firewall.

The KNN filters: Very straight forward, you can follow the EAS diy on this and you wont have any problems.

The car sounds a bit meaner with the catless downpipes, the filters are not very noticeable as far as sound goes, even with the charcoal filters removed.

Also with Future Use D set to 90 and the CAN flap actuators on the exhaust plugged back in (I had them disconnected prior to the JB4) there are no error codes of any sort.

The only thing I have left to do is hook up the fuel mass sensor, but my shoulder hurts so I will have to wait until later in the week.

Hopefully this thread will lead to some questions that I might be able to answer for you guys who will be doing this soon on your own.
      06-19-2015, 05:13 PM   #2
YianniM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
Someone told me to clear my day when installing the jb4... I use to install the jb4 in my e92 335 in like 20 minutes so that kind of through me off. i just received my jb4 and will probably be installing it tomorrow morning. the installer guide kind of seemed veig to me but maybe its because I'm not standing over my engine bay while i read through it. How hard is it to reach someone of those connectors... my hands and fingers are pretty skinny
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
Weechard
M3
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW m3

This video is helpful directly from N54tech.

It really wasn't too bad. I'd say the worst part was the fuel connector, running the data cable and OBD2 port connector through the firewall (I have MT so my firewall plug was occupied).

Quote:
Originally Posted by YianniM3 View Post
Someone told me to clear my day when installing the jb4... I use to install the jb4 in my e92 335 in like 20 minutes so that kind of through me off. i just received my jb4 and will probably be installing it tomorrow morning. the installer guide kind of seemed veig to me but maybe its because I'm not standing over my engine bay while i read through it. How hard is it to reach someone of those connectors... my hands and fingers are pretty skinny
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
YianniM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weechard View Post
This video is helpful directly from N54tech.

It really wasn't too bad. I'd say the worst part was the fuel connector, running the data cable and OBD2 port connector through the firewall (I have MT so my firewall plug was occupied).

ya i just installed it car won't start
Appreciate 0