F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Chipwerke Tuning Box - N47
Extreme Powerhouse

05-26-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Chipwerke Tuning Box - N47

So I had looked at the piggyback options for the F31 diesel since there are no off the shelf tunes out there right now. Racechip is up to $700 for their high spec modules, I found a few others that were the same or higher all with similar claims for power gains. I had kind of decided to go with Racechip but just wasn't ready to drop that much cash right now. The car is not underpowered really but I'm not one to leave power on the table and there is room for improvement with this powerplant.

Recently a guy on the Audi forums started posting about this company Chipwerke, he was trying out the module for the S4. Since the tune for the S4 is $1200-1400 he wanted to see what a piggy-back could do for half that cost (the Chipwerke for the S4 is $499). Several dozen people there ordered them for their S4s and have been testing and logging data with overall good results. I made a joke with the Chipwerke representative who showed up in the thread about a module for the F31 and he actually said they could do it and it was only $300 for this application.

So, for a mere $300 for the PRO module I figured WTH, even if it didn't do a lot, it was only $300.

Shipping was included in the price and was FAST. Product was shipped from Turkey (but states it is made in Germany) and arrived 2 days after I ordered it.

Here's the box;

Now the website does not list a fitment for the 328d, however they state that it is the same as the Euro spec 320d 184PS model. As directed I entered my exact model info in the order form.

Here's what it looks like as packaged.

And the module itself;

I got the PRO module, it comes with a metal case instead of plastic and a faster processor.

Zipties and basic install guide rounds out the packaging;

In addition to the install guide they asked me to send them a photo of my engine bay, and they circled the exact harness connectors I needed to attach to. Not sure if that was just for me, but the whole process was amazingly simple.

The difference was immediately noticeable. Nothing mind blowing, not like it started activating traction control or melting tires in clouds of smoke of course. However, the car "felt" quicker, seemed to pull harder when the throttle was tipped in. I did note a bit of turbo lag from a dead stop that I didn't think was there before but nothing major.

Now, before I installed it I did some basic testing on a remote country road near me. I just used a basic bluetooth adapter with the Torque Pro app on my Droid Turbo. By no means is this an exhaustive, or completely accurate data source. However, my purpose was more to judge differences rather than get concrete dyno numbers. I ran some 0-60 baselines as well as took readings of HP and Torque. I then ran the same test runs with the module installed. The module was installed on the car for over a week to let it adapt, this included a 250 mile round trip drive down to Pike's Peak International and the track day in the car as well. I'd say it was as adapted as it would get. Performance on the track was quite good, granted I never tracked it stock and the upper end power on the straights was what one would expect from a 4 cyl diesel. But acceleration out of corners was strong.

Now, unfortunately the 0-60 is inconclusive and will have to be redone. I was trying to remove as many variables as possible by allowing the transmission to handle it's own shifts. This removes the human error factor of shifts. However, with the module installed the transmission could not shift properly under full acceleration for some reason. It would shudder and buck with the 1-2 change. Not sure if this was due to the additional power added or what the issue was. Inconclusive though it is right now, still interesting that my best time with the transmission shifting on the stock car was 8.2 seconds. I attributed this to the transmission using poorly timed shifts and it changed up to 4th which I don't think is needed for 60mph. However, my quickest time with the module installed and handling the shifts myself (transmission did not buck or kickback) was 7.6 seconds. Again, results vary from advertised factory, my main interest is in difference from consistent, reproducible tests.

The HP measurement showed a 40-42HP increase, and torque was 53-56ft-lbs more than measured at stock. That's impressive for a $300 product.

Currently I removed the piggyback as I have to take the car in for a warranty claim. It's unrelated (the weatherstrip seals around the doors are disintegrating LOL) but if they open the hood for some reason don't want any issues with warranty work down the road.

Next weekend I will likely try some stock runs and data gathering again (re-do the 0-60 runs and register boost levels and EGTs at stock) and then re-install and let it adapt again for a week.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update.

Still waiting on the dealer to get the new weatherstrips in so have been driving around without the box.

It is a NOTICEABLE difference going backwards. Sometimes it's hard to tell going from stock to a mild boost such as a Stage 1 or a piggyback if it's just butt-dyno or a real increase in power. But going back from the piggy back to stock......you notice the difference for sure. Not just the power but how it is delivered. It's not like a rocket ship of power, but the power is more linear and just pulls stronger with the box on. Stock just feels different, less raw.

Can't wait to get the piggyback back on. LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
congrats for trying something new.

How are the cable qualities?
How long are the S4 have been testing this out for?
Can you change settings or maps (power levels) ?

RaceChip Ultimate is $679 for Gas and $590-600 for Diesel a lot of folks bought their RC thru dtmhaus except there's no refund available (14 day refund policy) but through the other USA Dealer there is like Racechip-usa or RacingPowerSports

http://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptuni...29/320d-135kw/ $600

http://www.racingpowersports.com/rac...20d-184hp.html says $590 , use bmwchip discount code and comes down to $540

Not sure about chipwerke yet but $300 is a good price

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
328_Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

I'd like to see the before and after dyno results from a third party tester first. If you poke around on youtube you'll find an Australian motor show where they test various third party add-ons. They tested one chip that did absolutely nothing. There had a three position switch on the chip which merely switched three different LED colors. The other wires did not connect to anything inside the chip. Without turning up the turbo, I doubt you are adding anything significant. I'm a skeptic. For that kind of money I want to see real results on a dyno first.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
congrats for trying something new.

How are the cable qualities?
How long are the S4 have been testing this out for?
Can you change settings or maps (power levels) ?

Cables are covered in sleeving and look high quality and clean. Connectors fit perfectly and feel solid.

The S4 guys have been testing this one for a few months, and apparently the A6 guys (same engine) have been running these for almost a year now.

There are dials inside the unit you can turn up or down the power, there's one dial with numbers and one with letters, the combined setting of these sets the power level and map basically. Chipwerke advised of the proper setting for one step up and suggested not going higher on this engine. Some of the S4 guys have been experimenting with the limits, sometimes with errors and codes thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328_Diesel View Post
I'd like to see the before and after dyno results from a third party tester first. If you poke around on youtube you'll find an Australian motor show where they test various third party add-ons. They tested one chip that did absolutely nothing. There had a three position switch on the chip which merely switched three different LED colors. The other wires did not connect to anything inside the chip. Without turning up the turbo, I doubt you are adding anything significant. I'm a skeptic. For that kind of money I want to see real results on a dyno first.
I understand and agree to a point. A dyno run would show more accurate increases and levels on my specific car and in my location (remember, I am at around 5000 ft altitude). I would be able to see more exactly what the power output was since I do not trust the actual numbers from the app, I do feel the increase difference is a good measure as I explained. My original plan was to get dyno runs done, as every car community seems to live and die on dyno runs even though their actual usefulness is marginal compared to real world testing. Dyno used, conditions in the day, and in my case altitude would make any dyno readings on my car useless to compare to your car. Anyway, closest dyno is about an hour away and got a couple of big surprise expenses lately so not happening soon.

However, I feel confident that my testing methods are sufficient enough to confirm that the box is doing SOMETHING. Especially because there are no LEDs on it at all. LOL Seriously though, it should be obvious that a car can not go faster without more power. Simple 0-60 runs are all you need to know an add-on is doing SOMETHING. Dyno's will only pinpoint peaks and curves and give a good idea of the amount of that something.

As for turning up the turbo, that is exactly what these do. I have not logged the boost levels yet to see the increase, but what the S4 logs show is that the unit sends incorrect data to the computer telling it it is at lower boost than it is. The computer then keeps the blow off/bypass closed and allows the turbo to build more pressure until it reaches the factory set level. But of course, this is actually HIGHER than factory. The side affect of this is that the computer may store soft codes for "under boost" conditions that would make the dealer scratch their heads if you ever had a drivetrain issue.

Still waiting on the dealer to get my new weatherstrips in, and actually just got an email that there is a programming update for the piggy back, so mailing it in for that to be completed. Hopefully have it back by next weekend. Really miss the extra pep. LOL
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
nastyn8
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Any recent updates on this??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sorry.

I re-installed the box with the software update, left it at default settings just to test the update and make sure it functions as before.

Man, been driving it stock for like a month (the update was done super fast, I just have been super busy and had to take the car in to the dealer for the weatherstrips to be replaced) and it is again such a massive change in how it drives. Took it on a long drive after installing the box, went up to the top of Rocky Mountain Natl Park. Was just as amazing as I remember, dropping 2 gears and ducking into the passing zone and it just flew.

I am going to leave it for a few weeks just to be sure no bugs exist then dial it up one setting and see what I think.

Oh, I did totally scrape up the MAP sensor installing it this time. My screwdriver slipped and gouged a deep scrape about 1" long in the sensor plug. Awesome. It's pretty well covered by the harness, and it's unlikely the dealer would even suspect a tune box on a diesel wagon anyway. But I may end up replacing the sensor at some point just in case. LOL

I also still plan on getting a dyno run done, cause I know everyone loves them, but it will be a while. Lots of stuff going on in the summer and hard to plan the trip down to Denver to have it done.
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
Disturbed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Any update? Are you in Colorado Springs? If so can I get a ride along? PM me your number.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Did you order directly from Chipwerke? I assumed from your OP but wanted to confirm -- thx!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww///95 View Post
Did you order directly from Chipwerke? I assumed from your OP but wanted to confirm -- thx!
Yes I did. Flawless service and crazy fast shipping. Came out of Turkey and I had it in 3 days.

Going to bump it up to the next highest setting this weekend and see how it performs.
Appreciate 0