THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M235i Suspension Questions

05-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #1
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Does the M235 have EDC?

Hello Everyone,

It's been over 10 years since I've modified suspension on a vehicle and as I recall it didn't seem as complexed as now...

I'm thinking about lowering this vehicle and have not decided to go with just springs or coilovers. Was wondering if anyone would know if the M235 is equipped with EDC? As a matter of fact what is EDC? Does it have something to do with the driving modes (Eco, Comfort, Sports and Sports +)?

Also by altering this vehicles suspension will it affect these different driving modes?

Sorry for the dumb questions but wanted to know what I'm getting into before starting.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Umster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i coupe MT

The M235i comes standard with an adjustable suspension with special shocks. I believe they magnetorheological shocks. The car is only 4 inches off the ground so for those of us in a more wintery climate, lowering the car may come with too many compromises. For people like yourself in sunny California (I'm jealous, of course), lowering the car may be a viable option. I think you were thinking about lowering the car, you would probably just go with lowering springs. If you tried to change the shocks, the adjustable suspension control (that is, Sport +, Sport, Comfort modes, etc.) on your M235i would no longer function.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #3
Mjosh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umster
The M235i comes standard with an adjustable suspension with special shocks. I believe they magnetorheological shocks. The car is only 4 inches off the ground so for those of us in a more wintery climate, lowering the car may come with too many compromises. For people like yourself in sunny California (I'm jealous, of course), lowering the car may be a viable option. I think you were thinking about lowering the car, you would probably just go with lowering springs. If you tried to change the shocks, the adjustable suspension control (that is, Sport +, Sport, Comfort modes, etc.) on your M235i would no longer function.
Thanks for the info! Yeah the sunny weather is nice but comes with compromises such as grid lock traffic...

This vehicle would be a daily driver and I would not want to lose the different modes. I guess in this case springs maybe the only way for me to go, if not then stock it is..

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post
Was wondering if anyone would know if the M235 is equipped with EDC?
Yes, the M235 comes standard with EDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjosh View Post
As a matter of fact what is EDC? Does it have something to do with the driving modes (Eco, Comfort, Sports and Sports +)?
EDC - Electronic Damper Control. It controls the compression and rebound rates of the OEM struts through the Comfort/Sport/Sport+ settings which are set by BMW.

-----------

That said, if you are looking to lower the car: Many have used HR springs or Dinan. Once you drop the suspension and install the new springs, make sure you get an alignment done as well.

Full option - Coilover kits. A number are already out and fit our vehicle (KW, Bilstein, etc). Make sure you either get one that is compatible with the EDC or you are able to code / delete the EDC connections. If the EDC is not properly configured, the car will go into a Comfort-limp mode (Sport / Sport+ is no longer selectable).
      07-16-2015, 01:26 AM   #5
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

If you have a 2series or 3series with EDC you can install our KW DDC plug and play coilovers and still have the different BMW driving modes: http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/ada...lay-coilovers/
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 02:09 AM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_KW automotive Germany View Post
If you have a 2series or 3series with EDC you can install our KW DDC plug and play coilovers and still have the different BMW driving modes: http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/ada...lay-coilovers/
Does KW make a separate EDC Delete Unit for BMW m235i xDrive?
(so other non-EDC compatible coilovers and spring&shocks combos can be used on that car)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 01:30 AM   #7
bgregg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

EDC delete options

I think the KW EDC delete unit is part number 68510301. Should not matter if xDrive.

http://www.speedzoneweb.com/kw-suspe...i-2111986.aspx

Similarly, I think the Bilstein version of the EDC delete unit is part number 50-174546.

There was another EDC delete option by Macht Schnell called "EDC emulation" which is the cheapest, but most complicated also since it involves some wiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you can just code it out and dont need any edc delete
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgregg View Post
I think the KW EDC delete unit is part number 68510301. Should not matter if xDrive.

http://www.speedzoneweb.com/kw-suspe...i-2111986.aspx

Similarly, I think the Bilstein version of the EDC delete unit is part number 50-174546.

There was another EDC delete option by Macht Schnell called "EDC emulation" which is the cheapest, but most complicated also since it involves some wiring.
Thanks for the tips. Neither KW nor Bilstein as of now list these parts as applicable for m235i/xi, though. I'm trying to get in touch with KW and Bilstein about these.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgregg View Post
I think the Bilstein version of the EDC delete unit is part number 50-174546.
Just heard from Bilstein. They say currently there's no EDC cancellation kit for F22, although there soon may be one, but I doubt it's anywhere near top of their priority.
Part number 50-174546 is for E90 and is not designed to work with F22. Whatever than means, either it doesn't work with F22 at all or they do not want customers to use it on F22 for some reason.
Appreciate 0