European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

06-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

IND | F83 M4 RKP Carbon Trunk Spoiler Install Guide DIY

IND | RKP F83 M4 Carbon Trunk Spoiler DIY

Unfortunately for F83 convertible clients BMW did not design and manufacture a trunk spoiler for our fellow open roof enthusiasts. Fortunately, the designers at RKP immediately addressed this issue and now offer a very comparable solution to the F82 M4 Performance spoiler. The RKP F83 M4 carbon trunk spoiler is inspired by the BMW M Performance coupe spoiler and incorporates the lines from the carbon roof. In an effort to add a little flare sort of speak, the gents at RKP also created a very tasteful lip on the edge of the spoiler. This lip functions as a character line and adds a little style to the spoiler for a more substantial appearance on the wider convertible boot lid.

Below is an installation guide for the RKP F83 M4 trunk spoiler. As always, we welcome feedback and alternatives. There are many ways to install components and the guide below provides insight into how our technicians remove these pieces. If at any point you do not feel comfortable with the installation process, then contact a body shop or your local BMW dealer for assistance.

Tools Required:
  • Adhesion Promoter (Included)
  • Painters Tape

Step 1:
As with most modifications, how you prep for installation is paramount to a successful install. RKP strongly encourages the use of 3M adhesion promoter (included with the spoiler) and as many know, that stuff is not a pleasant substance. As a result it is critical that you only apply the adhesion promoter to the area of the trunk where only the spoiler will make contact.

The first step is to line up the RKP F83 spoiler and mark the area for the adhesion promoter. The trunk spoiler is attached at the very back edge on the top of the boot lid. Line up the spoiler and mark/secure the center with painters tape.

Step 2:
With the center of the trunk spoiler secured, ensure alignment and secure the edges of the spoiler as well.

Step 3:
Before proceeding to this step, double check alignment/fitment. Now mask the edge around the top and bottom of the spoiler.

Step 4:
Remove the strips of tape securing the spoiler and place the spoiler in a secure place. You should now have a good outline of the RKP trunk spoiler. In reality, you can simply apply the adhesion promoter at the edge, but we like to be a little more cautious when it comes to the paint. Apply the provided adhesion promoter within the outlined area.

Step 5:
Immediately after applying the adhesion promoter, peel the red covering from the 3M adhesive tape on the underside of the RKP trunk spoiler. With the tape exposed, apply the spoiler to the boot lid. Apply light pressure

Now for a couple glamour shots

Last edited by Ryan@IND; 01-08-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
nene
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2015 BMW M4c  [9.00]
Very nice.
      07-01-2015, 12:59 AM   #3
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

1. I recommend to IND to mark the center of the spoiler prior to shipping (makes it easier).

2. Unless you have the docking skills of a Space Shuttle astronaut, I personally would not take all the tape off, only peel back starting from the middle (yes, use a blade to cut the plastic and peel back a little). This way if you make an error placing it you can pull the spolier out and put back to realign. Gradually pulling out the plastic means you can correct for minor adjustments as you work your way from the center out.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
1. I recommend to IND to mark the center of the spoiler prior to shipping (makes it easier).

2. Unless you have the docking skills of a Space Shuttle astronaut, I personally would not take all the tape off, only peel back starting from the middle (yes, use a blade to cut the plastic and peel back a little). This way if you make an error placing it you can pull the spolier out and put back to realign. Gradually pulling out the plastic means you can correct for minor adjustments as you work your way from the center out.
Thank you for the feedback. As mentioned in the thread, we always encourage additional hints to ensure a perfect fitment. That is a great suggestion for the tape removal. Did you use painters tape to create an outline of the spoiler? This step reduces the need for the Space Shuttle docking skills as you have a guide for the critical alignment areas.
      07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes. I do use painters tape. Actually, I messed up the placement the first round and the second is much better, but I think I should have cut the bottom double stick in half because it juts out a tad (I used the full length of the 3M tape for both edges). Not noticeable, but obviously our forum members have high standards. I think the second round I was pressing down from the top much more that I was on the horizontal side. So if I have the courage to take the spoiler off again (which I probably won't) I'd have to remember to make equal pressures at an angle to make sure the double stick tape sticks equally on both edges. Hope that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to clarify, the trunk area where each side of the sticky tape goes is not perfectly flat, so you kind have to make sure you put equal pressure on the spoiler, in this case at a roughly 45 degree angle.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4