EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Unhappy Limp mode/drivetrain malfunction

Little history. Car has NO TUNE and no engine/exhaust mods except k&n airfilters. Past 9 months been going back and forth to the dealer w limp mode/drivetrain malfunction issues. Originally they made repair attempts for the precat O2 sensors as those were the hard codes coming up. It also had cylinders 1-2-3 misfires/ shutdown of the cylinders and predetonation codes come up every time I've had the issues w this car. The last two times they've had it they checked coils, injectors, plugs and fuels pumps. All supposedly checked out ok. A couple of weeks ago when it did it last the dealer was instructed through the puma case to update all modules to the most current software. Apparently it didn't do anything as it threw itself into limp mode several times last week and then I left it where it's been at the dealer since Thursday for the fourth and final repair attempts. Happened more like 8-12 times but it's only been logged in service 4 times.

The dealer has agreed to purchase me out and order a new car but don't have any allocations until end of July early August which means delivery sept/oct. which I'm cool w as I'm a patient guy and have been trying to narrow colors down all over again.

Fast forward to this evening. They called me and informed that (which I'm not even sure if the car is capable of retrieving that kind of info) the car had logged in 27 fill ups only 14 met the minimum octane requirement. They weren't blaming me for using low grade as we both said at the same time maybe the gas station isn't putting 93 into their premium grade tanks. But as I know for a fact all modern cars have antiknock features and can and will run on any octane that's in the tank as they will adjust retard or advance timing and other factors involving the motor and as a result performance will suffer but the car will keep going. They advised me they will drain the tank and fill it up w 93 from a station they know has quality fuel. I will humor them and run a couple tanks of their magic juice and report back to them in a week or two. Last time I left the dealer after one of their repair attempts it made it less than 9 miles before rearing its ugly head at me.

What makes me a little more skeptical is on one of their last repair invoices it stated they retrieved and fuel sample and it came out ok. So I'm very leery to the bad gas theory. I've always used shell up until about four months ago when they closed the two that were close by. I've been using Mobile/Exxon ever since as the business has a fleet account there. I've never heard any issues about their fuel quality but then again you never know if the property owner wants to turn an easy buck.

Don't know what else to suggest as a repair procedure as everything I've suggested has been done except checking the engine harness for cuts or the such leading to the front bank ignition system. Gonna give their fuel theory a few weeks and that's about all I can do besides keep bringing it back and back for service until the new car arrives. Took all the fun out of this car for the last 9 months.

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
04RC51
Large Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F82 M4

Limp mode on the F8X cars really makes if feel like the car is completely fukd up. The E9X was just down on power but the F8X just feels completely broken. Mine limped once and was fine after I let it sit for 10 min.

Good luck with the repair.
      06-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #3
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RC51 View Post
Limp mode on the F8X cars really makes if feel like the car is completely fukd up. The E9X was just down on power but the F8X just feels completely broken. Mine limped once and was fine after I let it sit for 10 min.

Good luck with the repair.
Yea you can totally feel the loss of cylinders when it happens. Not too mention I'm not able to shut down and restart it to clear the limp mode when it happens. It's just stuck in it. Thanks

To add to repairs a few months back they did the recall for the can terminator as well thinking that had something to do w it. Forgot to mention in my long ass original post

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

OP you are a patient person...let them get you a new F8x as recommended.

Good luck

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
fjabad
Private
Rep
Drives: F80

I would definitely try a new gas station if in fact 13 of the 27 fill-ups did not meet the minimum fuel rating. BMW manual states the minimum is 91. I know you mentioned you were pumping 93 (supposedly according to the pump) but that's definitely a gas station to stay away from if not even 91 is coming out of the 93 pump.

I personally use Sunoco 93 and have never had any problems.

Last edited by fjabad; 06-16-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
omgwtfbbqm4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
except k&n airfilters
I've heard over-oiled K&N's can screw your Mass air flow sensor. Maybe check that?

Hope you get this sorted!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #7
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
OP you are a patient person...let them get you a new F8x as recommended.

Good luck
Yea patience was always easier for me then butting heads. Ty very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjabad View Post
I would definitely try a new gas station if in fact 13 of the 27 fill-ups did not meet the minimum fuel rating. BMW manual states the minimum is 91. I know you mentioned you were pumping 93 (supposedly according to the pump) but that's definitely a gas station to stay away from if not even 91 is coming out of the 93 pump.

I personally use Sunoco 93 and have never had any problems.
Yes I always trusted Shell's fuels as well but it was just more convenient lately to use Mobil. I would like to have the gas station nazis do a surprise inspection and see what's really in their tanks. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbbqm4 View Post
I've heard over-oiled K&N's can screw your Mass air flow sensor. Maybe check that?

Hope you get this sorted!
Just installed them straight out the box and if memory serves me correct I think this has happened once or twice before I installed them. Heck it's happened even before break in period.

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
Emdriven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M4

Dude I have the same problem. First time I got "Drivetrain Malfunction" I was driving to Tampa. Needless to say I was very pissed that I drove half way in limp mode. Took it straight to the dealer afterwards. They kept my car for 7 days and couldn't figure out what caused the issue since they were able to reset the system and the message did not appear any longer.

Fast forward to this past Friday. Getting to work and again Drivetrain malfunction. This time the message did not go away after restarting the car a few times. Took the car to the dealer on Saturday and got a loaner. They called me today that it's an issue with one of the Turbo's not functioning properly and chocking. I was told to pick up the car tomorrow since the part is being shipped from Germany and will take 8-10 days.

This is my third M car and have to say that this M4 is having some issues. Have been at the dealer 3 times in the past 2 months. The last 2 for the same issue. It sucks we pay so much for our cars and this seems to happen too often. Sorry for the rant but it's a bit frustrating having to wait so long for a part to come in.

FYI: I only put 93 octane so I'm not too sold on the gas theory but doesn't hurt to try a different gas station
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdriven View Post
Dude I have the same problem. First time I got "Drivetrain Malfunction" I was driving to Tampa. Needless to say I was very pissed that I drove half way in limp mode. Took it straight to the dealer afterwards. They kept my car for 7 days and couldn't figure out what caused the issue since they were able to reset the system and the message did not appear any longer.

Fast forward to this past Friday. Getting to work and again Drivetrain malfunction. This time the message did not go away after restarting the car a few times. Took the car to the dealer on Saturday and got a loaner. They called me today that it's an issue with one of the Turbo's not functioning properly and chocking. I was told to pick up the car tomorrow since the part is being shipped from Germany and will take 8-10 days.

This is my third M car and have to say that this M4 is having some issues. Have been at the dealer 3 times in the past 2 months. The last 2 for the same issue. It sucks we pay so much for our cars and this seems to happen too often. Sorry for the rant but it's a bit frustrating having to wait so long for a part to come in.

FYI: I only put 93 octane so I'm not too sold on the gas theory but doesn't hurt to try a different gas station
Wow. Sucks to hear about it interrupting your road trip but that's promising news man. Great to hear they're narrowing it down to the turbo. Wonder what made them realize that's the issue and if I could point my dealership in the same direction. Do you know what codes and errors were logged in? Also great to hear how quickly they can get your replacement turbo. I know last year parts were months out for these cars they were so new. They love to see enthusiasts such as yourself returning to the brand year after year and staying loyal even through all the first run issues these cars may have. I'm not too sold on the gas theory either but needless to say I'll definitely be taking that station out of the equation. Good luck & keep in touch dude. Throw me any info you can on your issue and repair work.

Thanks
Smoke

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 06:31 PM   #10
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
UPDATE:

So got a call from the dealer today w no good news. They drained and refilled the tank. Started it up. Went straight into limp mode and was shaking like crazy as he described. They tried to scan it for faults and they couldn't get any communication w the DME. Tried all day long and still no communication. They feel they might need to replace the DME. They said they will try a couple other things tomorrow bs get back to me with the next step.

And the saga continues.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #11
Emdriven
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M4

So I picked up my car today since the part does not arrive for another week. They reset the car and the "Drivetrain malfunction" message is no longer appearing. I have driven the car for about 50 miles today and still good. But I know eventually it will come back. As soon as I get the paperwork from the dealer I will tell you what exactly the part number is that they have ordered. Hope they fix your issue man cause it sucks driving the car around like that. Either way I will keep you updated regarding what they do to mine. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdriven View Post
So I picked up my car today since the part does not arrive for another week. They reset the car and the "Drivetrain malfunction" message is no longer appearing. I have driven the car for about 50 miles today and still good. But I know eventually it will come back. As soon as I get the paperwork from the dealer I will tell you what exactly the part number is that they have ordered. Hope they fix your issue man cause it sucks driving the car around like that. Either way I will keep you updated regarding what they do to mine. Good luck.
So far so good then. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again before they have a chance to replace the part. Thanks a lot dude. Hope they get yours here soon so you don't have to go into summer not knowing when the car is gonna act up on you. They've had it a week this time and it didn't sound like I'd be getting it back anytime soon. Last visit was a week also. Crazy. Good luck to you too man

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 05:04 AM   #13
all8up
Ironchef
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 C

Garage List
2022 M4 C  [0.00]
Good luck to you in getting this resolved. I suppose the light at the end of this is getting an entirely new car (LCI) but that comes at the expense of the time lost. That said, are you changing colors?
07 E90 335, UR Exh, Helix IC, Bav Sport Coils, iForged Swift- sold
E46 M3 - gone and always missed
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:50 PM   #14
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by all8up View Post
Good luck to you in getting this resolved. I suppose the light at the end of this is getting an entirely new car (LCI) but that comes at the expense of the time lost. That said, are you changing colors?
Yes for sure. As much as I love AY and the attention it gets as you drive by someone who notices cars, I'm really entertaining Sahkir. It was between these two colors when I originally started building the car last year. So/So most likely be the combo unless I go individual which I'm sure my brother or friend moonsault270 will convince me to do so. Ill be stopping in tonight to build the car w my ca. Ill keep updating the repair progress on the lemon car as well.

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Just a wild ass guess but, since you are running out of options... I would ask them to double check that CAN terminator. Not knowing exactly what is on the bus and where terminator is in relation to the nodes on the bus it may be totally unrelated but, I know there can be issues if the terminator isn't in the right spot or if nodes on the bus are too far past the terminator. Ideally the terminator should be the end of the bus but, sometimes you can get away with having something after it as long as it's in close proximity. Which brings me to...

Since it looks like this taps the CAN lines to the fuel pump controller if the mechanic decided to install it somewhere further up the line than the image in the TSB shows it could/may be dropping off the bus and causing your lean condition.

Also ask them to make sure the mechanic didn't go ape shit squeezing the resistor tap together and accidentally cut the CAN wires. This is not unheard of with those crappy scotch-lock type connectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #16
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Just a wild ass guess but, since you are running out of options... I would ask them to double check that CAN terminator. Not knowing exactly what is on the bus and where terminator is in relation to the nodes on the bus it may be totally unrelated but, I know there can be issues if the terminator isn't in the right spot or if nodes on the bus are too far past the terminator. Ideally the terminator should be the end of the bus but, sometimes you can get away with having something after it as long as it's in close proximity. Which brings me to...

Since it looks like this taps the CAN lines to the fuel pump controller if the mechanic decided to install it somewhere further up the line than the image in the TSB shows it could/may be dropping off the bus and causing your lean condition.

Also ask them to make sure the mechanic didn't go ape shit squeezing the resistor tap together and accidentally cut the CAN wires. This is not unheard of with those crappy scotch-lock type connectors.
This forum never ceases to amaze me w the infinite knowledge members have. I will definitely pass along that info to them. I'm sure they'll take it w a grain of salt because of course you can't tell the dealer how to fix cars. Even though most of us could do a better and more thorough job than them.

Thanks for the heads up man.

Last edited by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!; 06-19-2015 at 09:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #17
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
Update:

Car is getting worse in their hands. They have lost communication w the dme and now feel that it will need to be replaced. This Thursday will be three weeks out of service for this visit and they are talking about another week of diagnostics plus another 7-14 days for the replacment dme from overseas. At a loss for words w this car and cant wait until the new one goes into production.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #18
TTO898
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 (F10)

Sounds like it may be time to invoke your state's lemon law. If it's taken 4 or more attempts or has been in for 30 days or more, you're entitled to a refund or a replacement vehicle. Time to get on it and get a new car.
Gone: 2016 M3, 2013 M3 Conv, 2000 M Roadster, 2010 X5, 2013 X5, 2008 5 Series
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #19
mlovernotafighter
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Yep, lemon it sounds like. Sorry to hear OP, must be very frustrating...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #20
Stevens21234
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 + 991.1 GT3

what happens when something like this occurs later in the car lifecycle? lemon law no longer applies right? are you stuck with a beater if this happens in year 2 of a lease or ownership?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #21
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
This Thursday will be 7 weeks these numbskulls have had the car. Every week it's something different w them. If a new car wasn't ordered already I would've pulled the car out of this dealership a long time ago. But since the dealer and BMW na have been so good about this buyback procedure I just let it cook.

The new car is on a boat and should be at port on the 5th. Getting excited to own an M car again. It has more options and managed to get them to keep my payments the same so I came out on top in the end. Have a bunch of mods I need to take off the car to put on the new one. The sales manager said he might be able to just replace them w new ones when the car comes in so I don't have to pull them. Only the H&Rs have to come off.

As far as lemoning the car they've not stamped it a lemon and my only guess is so they don't have any issues selling it again to the public if and when they decided to get it fixed properly. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation. I've been extremely patient w them and have always been courteous and respectful and believe that has helped me out so far.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #22
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!! View Post
This Thursday will be 7 weeks these numbskulls have had the car. Every week it's something different w them. If a new car wasn't ordered already I would've pulled the car out of this dealership a long time ago. But since the dealer and BMW na have been so good about this buyback procedure I just let it cook.

The new car is on a boat and should be at port on the 5th. Getting excited to own an M car again. It has more options and managed to get them to keep my payments the same so I came out on top in the end. Have a bunch of mods I need to take off the car to put on the new one. The sales manager said he might be able to just replace them w new ones when the car comes in so I don't have to pull them. Only the H&Rs have to come off.

As far as lemoning the car they've not stamped it a lemon and my only guess is so they don't have any issues selling it again to the public if and when they decided to get it fixed properly. Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation. I've been extremely patient w them and have always been courteous and respectful and believe that has helped me out so far.
Sounds like once the buyback is done they need to take it and dissect it to figure out what is going on and then donate it to a trade school or relegate it to some internal training program.
Appreciate 0