Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Exclamation Service experience at dealership other than where car was purchased

You should be able to take your BMW to ***ANY*** dealership and get warranty service. It doesn't matter one bit where you bought it.

If your local service center (dealer) is telling you they will treat you differently because you bought your car somewhere else - you need to find another dealer. I would also let BMW know about this as it reflects very poorly on their brand. This, to me, would be a very good reason to NOT purchase a car from this dealer...

The service centers all make money from BMW when they perform warranty work. It doesn't make any difference if they sold the car or not.

Imagine someone who buys a car and then moves to another location. Do you think they should expect any level of difference in service because they moved?

I specifically decided NOT to purchase another M car from my local dealer because I was not happy about their competitive pricing scheme. (They would not work to provide me a good quote up front. All they would say was they would meet any other dealers quote. Thats just lazy crap IMHO...) However, I do like their service department. So I'm currently buying an M4 from a completely different dealer (who doesn't play BS games on pricing) - but I fully plan on using the local dealer's service dept...

Last edited by evanevery; 06-15-2015 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
You should be able to take your BMW to ***ANY*** dealership and get warranty service. It doesn't matter one bit where you bought it.

If your local service center (dealer) is telling you they will treat you differently because you bought your car somewhere else - you need to find another dealer. I would also let BMW know about this as it reflects very poorly on their brand. This, to me, would be a very good reason to NOT purchase a car from this dealer...

The service centers all make money from BMW when they perform warranty work. It doesn't make any difference if they sold the car or not.

Imagine someone who buys a car and then moves to another location. Do you think they should expect any level of difference in service because they moved?

I specifically decided NOT to purchase another M car from my local dealer because I was not happy about their competitive pricing scheme. (They would not work to provide me a good quote up front. All they would say was they would meet any other dealers quote. Thats just lazy crap IMHO...) However, I do like their service department. So I'm currently buying an M4 from a completely different dealer (who doesn't play BS games on pricing) - but I fully plan on using the local dealer's service dept...
BMW beverly hills very clearly states that they only want to give you a loaner if you bought the car from them... thus I don't purchase from or service my cars with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
I have never gotten a BMW locally and have never had an issue. I always get loaners and am treated just like any other dealership. The only thing I have seen is that sometimes they will give scheduling priority to someone that bought their, but nothing else and thats only when go though the operator.

Now that being said, IMO your local dealer has not done anything to WIN your business. To me matching something else, does not do it but thats just me. I have spent my adult life in sales and negotiating contracts and I understand losing a deal to "better pricing" but to the same pricing after I have an agreement in place... Don't do it its just not cool.

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2015, 02:44 PM   #4
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW
Quote:

BMW beverly hills very clearly states that they only want to give you a loaner if you bought the car from them... thus I don't purchase from or service my cars with them.
Worst dealership in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Oh come on. I can think of a few more
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
mboxM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Update.

My email to local dealer:
"So I can assume if I don’t buy from you, I won’t get a loaner if I take the car in for service? Just asking because this is contrary to what has happened in the past."

Local dealer's response:
"Let's put it this way my friend, you get more pull if you purchase from us Specially in service "

Umm, what does this even mean? And how does one get this so-called pull? Personally, I would think when purchasing an M, regardless of dealer, I would get the requisite amount of pull.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxM4 View Post
Update.

So I can assume if I don’t buy from you, I won’t get a loaner if I take the car in for service? Just asking because this is contrary to what has happened in the past.

Local dealer's response:

Let's put it this way my friend, you get more pull if you purchase from us Specially in service

Umm, what does this even mean? And how does one get this so-called pull?
This is the biggest load of crap I have seen in a while. Firsly anyone who starts a conversation like this......"Let's put it this way my friend" does not belong in a professional work environment

I bought my Acura TL in 2012 but not from the local dealer because they refused to budge on their ridiculous price. They gave me the same BS your dealer is feeding you. I almost fell for it but better judgement prevailed and I bought from another dealer who was way more reasonable on price and honoring the incentives. The service department at my local dealer has excellent reviews and I have been using them for 3 years now for all services and don't have a single issue to report. And yes, loaner is free for me In these three years I haven't seen a single salesman that I dealt with at my local dealer in 2012. Infact both have left and moved on. So please don't fall for that BS. Their service department will be losing money by not taking you on as a customer.

And why do you care about a loaner. In all, BMW will do only 3 oil changes for you in 4 years.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Oh come on. I can think of a few more
Tried buying my first M car there. The salesperson wouldn't sell it to me, told me I needed to schedule an appointment with their assistants assistant for another day.

Mind was blown.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Update.
Personally, I would think when purchasing an M, regardless of dealer, I would get the requisite amount of pull.
That made no sense Are you one of those, I bought a M and am special It's just a car to them.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:34 PM   #10
mboxM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
This is the biggest load of crap I have seen in a while. Firsly anyone who starts a conversation like this......"Let's put it this way my friend" does not belong in a professional work environment

I bought my Acura TL in 2012 but not from the local dealer because they refused to budge on their ridiculous price. They gave me the same BS your dealer is feeding you. I almost fell for it but better judgement prevailed and I bought from another dealer who was way more reasonable on price and honoring the incentives. The service department at my local dealer has excellent reviews and I have been using them for 3 years now for all services and don't have a single issue to report. And yes, loaner is free for me In these three years I haven't seen a single salesman that I dealt with at my local dealer in 2012. Infact both have left and moved on. So please don't fall for that BS. Their service department will be losing money by not taking you on as a customer.

And why do you care about a loner. In all, BMW will do only 3 oil changes for you in 4 years.
Even the best of cars need some attention other than oil changes. But regardless, I was always going to stick with my current deal. I'm a man of my word. But I was planning on using this dealership for service and getting a loaner, if necessary, is important.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #11
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Update.

"So I can assume if I don’t buy from you, I won’t get a loaner if I take the car in for service? Just asking because this is contrary to what has happened in the past."

Local dealer's response:
"Let's put it this way my friend, you get more pull if you purchase from us Specially in service "

Umm, what does this even mean? And how does one get this so-called pull? Personally, I would think when purchasing an M, regardless of dealer, I would get the requisite amount of pull.
This is lame. I would just use the current CA/Dealer that you already have a deal with. They did the legwork and sound more professional than this guy. He's trying to convince you to let him make the sale but really, there is no difference where you order your ED other than great CA service. So if you're personally not impressed with him and you've met them already, then I'd just stick with your current deal regardless if they could match it or not.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
mboxM4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm918 View Post
That made no sense Are you one of those, I bought a M and am special It's just a car to them.
Am I one of those? You god damn right. Do I want my car to feel as special to them as it does to me? Absolutely. I love my cars. They are members of the family. Feel free to hand your car off to anyone. Just make sure to put a dash cam in there beforehand and come back here with the footage.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamiboyca View Post
IMO your local dealer has not done anything to WIN your business. To me matching something else, does not do it but thats just me. I have spent my adult life in sales and negotiating contracts and I understand losing a deal to "better pricing" but to the same pricing after I have an agreement in place... Don't do it its just not cool.

That was EXACTLY my point. I stopped buying cars from my local dealer because they didn't want to work for my business - they just wanted to match whoever gave me the lowest quote. Swoop in and match the lowest price. That's crap - especially since I've already bought two M cars from them in the last 3 years... And I let them know it.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #14
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboxM4
Update.

Local dealer's response:

Perhaps the only true way to get an "pull" with a dealer is to buy a lot of cars from them. It's all about the sale at the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #15
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Actually, its not what you have already bought that gives you "pull", its what you will potentially buy in the future that makes a real difference...
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
Actually, its not what you have already bought that gives you "pull", its what you will potentially buy in the future that makes a real difference...
I'd say getting 'pull' has more to do with where the dealership is in relation to their sales goals. If you by chance approach them when they just need one more sale to hit their target...guess what? You have a lot of pull! And for the uninitiated you think they are doing you a favor. And I have no doubt they play it out as such.

I have read countless posts made be people upset their dealer did not cut them a break on the price of a car. 'I have been a loyal customer for years'.

At the end of the day it is about hitting sales targets with some good customer relations on top/sprinkled in. There is an incredible amount of pressure on the GMs each and every month.

With that being said I have no doubt customers exist that do have pull. They a.) pay full MSRP or more once every few years b.) always take their car to the dealership to get anything and everything done even out of warranty. Wiper blades and cabin filters included.
      07-16-2015, 12:37 AM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I think you guys are over thinking it. Great service is about finding the right SA. Period.

I have had crap service from dealer i leased a car from and amazing service from dealer i had no pre existing purchasing relationship with.

The key is the SA and asking around other owners locally is the best way to find an SA
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I don't disagree...

I'm quite happy with the service that my local dealer has provided on my M6 and X6M...

However, I'm NOT happy with the way the sales folks at the very same dealer have treated my latest purchase request. All they would do is "meet whatever the lowest bid" was from other dealers.

So, I've purchased my M4 from another dealer a little farther away but still plan on having the service on all my vehicles done at the local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:27 AM   #19
Miamiboyca
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW - F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't disagree...

I'm quite happy with the service that my local dealer has provided on my M6 and X6M...

However, I'm NOT happy with the way the sales folks at the very same dealer have treated my latest purchase request. All they would do is "meet whatever the lowest bid" was from other dealers.

So, I've purchased my M4 from another dealer a little farther away but still plan on having the service on all my vehicles done at the local dealer.
Thats because they are incentivized very differently - makes perfect sense.

I did have an experience just like mentioned where they matched and then didn't understand why I wouldn't give them the business since I was helping my local economy.

I provided him in the middle of the showroom floor a very eloquent and impassioned speech (within ear shot of my SA - who mentioned it every time i came back for service with a chuckle and several customers) about how they are selling a commodity item and n life you don't get a freebie for being my neighbor. You need to actually earn my business through either pricing, professionalism or outstanding service, and if I based my purchases on helping my "local" economy then I would be at the Ford dealership.

Although I know it fell on deaf ears, everyone except the sales people were smiling... haha

2015 M3 - MW, Sonoma, Exec, LED, Adaptive, HK, 19" Light, 6M ED 7/7/2015 - Redelivery-8/18/15
2013 535i - SG, Sonoma, M-SPort, Prem, Tech, CW, Lux Seating, PDC, 6MT ED-10/11/2012/PCD -12/14/12
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #20
morgan302
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 2015

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
My dealer in Roswell is great but I have been all over the US and every dealer I stopped at could have not been nicer when we shoed up with problems on the road they made room for us and solved every problem we incountered including a cracked windshield in CA when we were headed to O'Fest at Lagon S. Got a loner and did not miss any of the 5 track days!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 08:32 AM   #21
lgk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Beverly Hills BMW owned by Sonic

I just don't know where people get some of the crap on their posts.

Beverly Hills BMW is a Sonic Owned dealership. Sonic probably owns 25 BMW dealerships within the u.s. It is a Charlotte, NC corporation. Why would dealership that is part of a consortium of 100(+) dealerships have this kind of policy.

Further, I can assure you that this would not fly (and does not fly) with Sonic Corporate.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
lmoretti
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 YMB

I have yet to receive my F80 yet but also choose to not buy locally do to the nonsense they tried pulling. Of course, I will bring the car to the local dealer for service. I would have assumed they would treat it as any other BMW sold there or not since they simply bill the corporate office under warranty. I, personally, cannot wait to bring my car in and they see it wasn't purchased there. Id be glad to explain why I didn't purchase there and show the GM or whoever runs the joint my emails/requests, etc and the no responses or ridiculous responses to them.
2005 G35S - SOLD
1988 RX7 TURBO II - SOLD but never forgotten
Appreciate 0