BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Watches and their 4 wheeled pairings

06-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #1
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Watches and their 4 wheeled pairings

BMW F80 and Sinn 240?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ed-collection/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
kenny@velosdesignwerks
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver

I thought i was the only one that thought about matching watches to my cars.. lol

For the M3/M4 I like wearing this one. I think its because of the carbon fiber looking wrist straps.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
C5driver
Major
Rep

Interesting article, since it's never crossed my mind about pairing cars with my watches.

So looks like I've got to find an F car to match the Daytona?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
phidailo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future F80

Sinn is a great pairing because it's also German..not many people know about this brand. I have the U1 and U2 and made a stop in Frankfurt just to pick up the U2.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I'm not sure I understand what direction of chat this thread is intended to take.....I don't care, I just don't know...

FWIW, the BMW pairing that works for me is Ball for BMW's line of watches. I'm most keen on the Ball for BMW diver, but the rest are good too. The Tourneau line of BMW watches works also, but I prefer the look of the Ball ones.

Frankly, I wish the Ball for BMW diver were made as a quartz watch as are the Tourneau BMW co-branded watches. It's one watch that I don't see much reason for it's being mechanical. Ball has a notable history of mechanical watchmaking, but BMW certainly doesn't, so I don't have much of a compelling reason to buy a Ball for BMW mechanical watch other than that they use tritium lume, which I strongly prefer over SuperLuminova lume on sport watches.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I'm not sure I understand what direction of chat this thread is intended to take.....I don't care, I just don't know...

FWIW, the BMW pairing that works for me is Ball for BMW's line of watches. I'm most keen on the Ball for BMW diver, but the rest are good too. The Tourneau line of BMW watches works also, but I prefer the look of the Ball ones.

Frankly, I wish the Ball for BMW diver were made as a quartz watch as are the Tourneau BMW co-branded watches. It's one watch that I don't see much reason for it's being mechanical. Ball has a notable history of mechanical watchmaking, but BMW certainly doesn't, so I don't have much of a compelling reason to buy a Ball for BMW mechanical watch other than that they use tritium lume, which I strongly prefer over SuperLuminova lume on sport watches.

All the best.
No direction, really...it's just an interesting article that presupposes a pairing of watches to their respective cars. It's so subjective that the only purpose would be to stimulate conversation, which by the number of posts to this thread, is failing miserably
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
No direction, really...it's just an interesting article that presupposes a pairing of watches to their respective cars. It's so subjective that the only purpose would be to stimulate conversation, which by the number of posts to this thread, is failing miserably
Okay.

It is a fun topic of sorts, but mostly for WISes (WIS = watch idiot savant) and watchies (watchie = people who are "into" watches, but who object to being though of as "idiots").

There's at least one thread on WUS covering the topic: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/how-...ds-601848.html .

The topic works well in watch forums because many folks having an interest in watches at least own a car and thus have at least some interest in them. The reverse, though true of some folks on a car forum, is far less assuredly so. Indeed, I can't even say with confidence that even half the people on B-post even regularly wear a watch.

As for the R&T article, it's nifty too. They chose some rather esoteric and/or exotic cars, so it's not as though that many folks are going to have a good enough sense of those cars to actually have a view on what watch make might correspond to them.

FWIW, Sinn seems to me like a reasonable fit for a BMW. But then do a great many other reasonably "well made and slightly less commonly seen" watches than Seikos and Citizens.

I don't own a Sinn, so for myself, I'll say an Omega Constellation Manhattan because, as my daily wear watch, it's the watch I'm most likely to be found wearing.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0