BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Is the M2 going to work if I have a baby?!

06-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
abehnam
Registered
Rep
Drives: Still Deciding

Is the M2 going to work if I have a baby?!

I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2. She drives a Subaru Foerster, so it wouldn't be our primary family transport, but I'd imagine there will definitely be times where I'll need to be taking our baby in the M2.

My general question is does anyone have a clue as to how big of a PITA this would be, and secondly, any reason to suspect that the M2 would be any less safe than the standard 2 series?

On the safety point, I figure the M2 will have better braking and control, but I'm wondering if any of the weight savings would significantly affect safety for a child in the back seat.

As far as getting an M2 when having an infant, if you guys think it won't work, can you suggest some alternatives? The two obvious choices of M3 and RS3 are a bit too pricey as I'd like to spend mid to high 50s max. I also have a knee injury, so I'd need a car with a dual clutch transmission (or, if that is impossible, an excellent automatic, like the M235s ZF8).

I appreciate any help I can get... this is all so new to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Xaoc
Private
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135is

It'll be just like any other coupe; the back seat is more for looks than functionality. Yes it will do the job, but if you really want a backrow, get a sedan.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehnam View Post
I'm on the wait list at the moment for an M2 and have been for months, but my wife and I are now trying to have our first baby. As a result, my wife has now repeatedly told me that I have no idea how annoying its going to be to try to get a baby seat into my M2. She drives a Subaru Foerster, so it wouldn't be our primary family transport, but I'd imagine there will definitely be times where I'll need to be taking our baby in the M2.

My general question is does anyone have a clue as to how big of a PITA this would be, and secondly, any reason to suspect that the M2 would be any less safe than the standard 2 series?

On the safety point, I figure the M2 will have better braking and control, but I'm wondering if any of the weight savings would significantly affect safety for a child in the back seat.

As far as getting an M2 when having an infant, if you guys think it won't work, can you suggest some alternatives? The two obvious choices of M3 and RS3 are a bit too pricey as I'd like to spend mid to high 50s max. I also have a knee injury, so I'd need a car with a dual clutch transmission (or, if that is impossible, an excellent automatic, like the M235s ZF8).

I have an infant car seat set in the middle of the 2 back seats and it works fine.... don't think the interior is going to change between the M235 and the M2 so should be similar...
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I think maybe if you get one of those pop-on/pop-off carriers where you can keep the base installed in the car, it would be ok. You could just move the seat out of the way and snap the carrier into the base to secure it.

On the other hand, the M2 might be harsher than the M235i. Even at the softest setting, the M235i can be a little bouncy, but much better than previous generation M-sports with runflat tires (pre-LCI e92 for instance). What is tolerable on the M235i might not be on the M2, so it's tough to say. I don't think your wife would want your first born bouncing around in the back of the car.
      06-30-2015, 01:06 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
I think maybe if you get one of those pop-on/pop-off carriers where you can keep the base installed in the car, it would be ok. You could just move the seat out of the way and snap the carrier into the base to secure it.

On the other hand, the M2 might be harsher than the M235i. Even at the softest setting, the M235i can be a little bouncy, but much better than previous generation M-sports with runflat tires (pre-LCI e92 for instance). What is tolerable on the M235i might not be on the M2, so it's tough to say. I don't think your wife would want your first born bouncing around in the back of the car.
Just make sure you put enough padding for his head
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehnam

Just tell her you will handle the baby, when it comes to your M2.

Otherwise you will have to wait 20 years to get your dream car.
Appreciate 8
      06-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

A sedan is obviously more convenient but really no issue fitting a kiddie seat in the back of a 2. You just have to adjust the seat forward and reach back, maybe a little awkward for some. M cars are the best for burping kids so totally worth the effort.
Appreciate 4
      06-30-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
M cars are the best for burping kids so totally worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Four seater ///M cars are rather 'kid friendly' compared to competitors: four seats, reasonable front seat moveability (access to the rear seats), dedicated fixing points for anchoring a top-tether strap of a child seat (to help preventing the child seat with child from rotating forward during an impact), Isofix in the back seats, optional Isofix in the front passenger seat (option 470), optional privacy glass for the rear side windows and rear window (option 420). Added bonus: just like those in the front, children like ///M cars.

Name:  Isofix_Front.jpg
Views: 13741
Size:  36.7 KB
      06-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:

Yes. Your back might hurt a day or two but the smile of having it will make it go away. You child will grow up just fine too! It won't stunt his growth! Don't listen to the I need nav and tech package crowd that have lost the meaning of need and want. We grew up in a poor neighborhood with my single mom and three small kids in an a primered only Datsun 510. All three kids married, college graduated and successful. I'm sure your child will fare even better in an M car. Congrats!
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #11
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Don't listen to the I need nav and tech package crowd that have lost the meaning of need and want.
If he's looking to buy an M2, he's part of the "want" crowd. Just saying...
      06-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Don't listen to the I need nav and tech package crowd that have lost the meaning of need and want.
If he's looking to buy an M2, he's part of the "want" crowd. Just saying...
Me too! I want too. Just know the difference between need and want. I hear people say I need an 8 seat SUV for their first kid and the "need" all this stuff that they don't. Nothing wrong with wanting something! All the op needs is a safe reliable car with car seat anchors! Boom! m2 fits the real need requirement.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Get a 3 series wagon !
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
omasou2079.50
      06-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Fringe benefit: bonding.

06-30-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

NO way in hell I'd get a coupe and have to mess with a baby seat - that would get old in a real hurry.

Get a CPO 4 door M3...Best of all worlds.

Last edited by midwest 340xi 6sp; 06-30-2015 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My daughter cried when I sold 1M! She was 6. She loved the roar of it starting up in morning and would recline forward the seat on her own from the back seat to get out! There are billions of kids all over the world whose parents have a two door fiat 500 and grow up to presidents and leaders of industry. Yes a 4 door is more practical for sure but your kid won't care. I forgot my grandma had a two door pinto too. All three of us went all over the country in it. You are talking about an M2 without an exploding tank, real brakes and seat latches and side impact bags. Unless you have a major back injury that will not allow you to put your kid in the back seat. You will be absolutely fine and your kid will have great memories.
Appreciate 2
      06-30-2015, 06:01 PM   #17
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I got my 1M when my daughter was 3 months old in 2011. It's not that big of a deal getting her in there. When she was still in a rear facing seat it caused the passenger seat to be moved up quite a bit but my wife is short so there were no problems there and I'm sure the 2 series has more room. Now that she's in a forward facing car seat all is right with the world...until a month ago when we had my first boy. Haven't tried both in the car yet but I will have to switch her seat behind mine and we will back to the rear facing behind the passenger. BTW, my daughter loves the 1M and I'm sure your baby will love your M2.
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50
      06-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #18
abp689
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Wagon,330ZHP, 318Ti (MT)

Sorry man. Unless you are not doing pick up or drop off outside of once a week don't bother with the two door until:
1) they can buckle themselves in or
2) at the very least are out of the rear facing seat.

Had a 330ci and was glad to get the four door. You can do it, but it's a pita.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #19
abehnam
Registered
Rep
Drives: Still Deciding

Thanks for all the input! It seems like most say that I'll enjoy the car more than being annoyed by the difficulty in getting the seat in and out of the back. I really want the M2 as it fits all my wants (DCT, handling, size) within my price range, so here is to hoping I can convince my lovely wife that this will all work out and there won't be regrets.

I think I'll just have to take her to check out the M235 a few times to get a feel for the size of the car and the backseat. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 08:43 PM   #20
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the input! It seems like most say that I'll enjoy the car more than being annoyed by the difficulty in getting the seat in and out of the back. I really want the M2 as it fits all my wants (DCT, handling, size) within my price range, so here is to hoping I can convince my lovely wife that this will all work out and there won't be regrets.

I think I'll just have to take her to check out the M235 a few times to get a feel for the size of the car and the backseat. Thanks for the help!
Tell her that if she wants a baby, you need your baby first
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:56 PM   #21
Zoli007
Professional lurker
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 MCB M3 sold =(

I actually find getting my 14 month old daughter into her car seat easier in my 135 than I do in my wife's GS350. I have the passenger seat all the way forward and when I pull it forward to get to the back seat, I step in partially and I can strap her in looking at her head on.

In the GS, or any sedan or SUV for that matter, you have to do that motion with everything from the side. And once she's in, Im closer to her and can reach her more easily in the 1 as well.
      07-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #22
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoli007 View Post
I actually find getting my 14 month old daughter into her car seat easier in my 135 than I do in my wife's GS350. I have the passenger seat all the way forward and when I pull it forward to get to the back seat, I step in partially and I can strap her in looking at her head on.

In the GS, or any sedan or SUV for that matter, you have to do that motion with everything from the side. And once she's in, Im closer to her and can reach her more easily in the 1 as well.
You are right...I forgot about that. My wife drives an F10 535i and it is harder to get them in. The door is back farther so you have to swing the kid in from the side, almost feels like your swinging them in from behind. Great point!
Appreciate 0