E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Angel eyes aren't bright? Maybe that's how e92s are?

07-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
remixsecret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Angel eyes aren't bright? Maybe that's how e92s are?

Hey I just purchased some ebay LEDS that are 80w with 8 LED pieces on it but it is not lighting my outer ring as nicely or evenly. Is it because it's ebay branded or is it because the e92s don't light up properly. I need some suggests. These are somewhat hard to see in day time as well where as I see other e92s with super blue head lights. Thanks!

Side note I heard LUX H8 are really good? What's the difference between LUX H8 160 And LUX H8 V5 color adjustables besides changing color? Is one more bright than the other?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

First and foremost, with any angel eyes you need to look at them from OVER 25 feet away.

Second, you must look at them level with the headlight, so about 2 feet off the ground.

Thirdly, they must be looked at head on, not from an off angle.

Too close or from an off angle and they will not appear to be lit.

Lastly, E92 will always have a dimmer outer ring because of the etching in the angel eye and the light has to travel further through the optics.

Not even the best LED's on the market can overcome this flaw as it's a flaw in the angel eyes themselves from BMW, not in the light source.

Lux H8 V5 are 120W VS Lux H8 160. (Source, see description).

Since you bought 80W angel eyes, any of the 160W options will be brighter, Mtec,Lux,XPH and HPB.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 07-02-2015 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

The stock E92 pre-lci halos are not that bright to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixsecret View Post

Hey I just purchased some ebay LEDS that are 80w with 8 LED pieces on it but it is not lighting my outer ring as nicely or evenly. Is it because it's ebay branded or is it because the e92s don't light up properly. I need some suggests. These are somewhat hard to see in day time as well where as I see other e92s with super blue head lights. Thanks!

Side note I heard LUX H8 are really good? What's the difference between LUX H8 160 And LUX H8 V5 color adjustables besides changing color? Is one more bright than the other?
That picture you posted is really hard to gauge the brightnes of them. Try taking a picture in the daytime or early evening instead.

With our LUX H8 bulbs we offer 2 of them currently, the LUX H8 V5 which are an adjustable color from 5000K - 12,000K and these offer a lot of flexibility on what color you prefer on the car. The other option is the LUX H8 160 which are a pure white 7000K white non-adjustable. These lights have been tested by so many members on the forum so please take a look at their reviews. Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to take a look at all the photo's on our websites Gallery.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
remixsecret
Private First Class
Rep

Even with the head light straight on from far away. It's still the same thing. It is not as bright and the outer ring is barely illuminated
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixsecret View Post
Even with the head light straight on from far away. It's still the same thing. It is not as bright and the outer ring is barely illuminated
If you installed them correctly and viewed them from about 25 feet away at level with the headlight head on it may just be par for the course for a 80W option.

Consider looking to an option with twice the output like the 160W.

We stopped selling a similar offering you had a while back, the technology is a little old for todays standards. They were good for the time but not compared to todays offerings.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 11:37 PM   #7
VP-jiminy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '09 X5d M-sport pkg

I, too just bought a pair of the HPB H8 80W angel eye LEDs (160W total) from TopGearSolutions and was kind of surprised that the installation instructions are pretty skimpy. (Mine is a 2009 328i LCI w/ factory xenon headlights).

I'd also ordered the 14-bulb interior light kit, which I am very happy with. (The glove box light has been a real pain to install as the wire gives no slack, and am still figuring out how to re-install the wire to the housing).

However, upon installing the passenger side LED bulb, I must say I was disappointed to see that not only was the inner ring somewhat dimmer than even the stock halogen (still present on the driver's side), but I really couldn't tell if the outer ring was illuminated at all in broad daylight. On the other hand, the stock halogen outer ring has a distinct horseshoe illumination even in daylight. Even at night, the outer ring with the new LED showed no more than a faint whitish-blue hue. All this from a viewing distance of about 30 or 35 feet head-on with me crouching down to headlight level.

Is it in the way I've installed the bulb? It felt secure when I turned it in the socket. Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to install the other bulb until I get some feedback?

Last edited by VP-jiminy; 07-03-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Another one bites the dust.
      07-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Another one bites the dust.
EBay LED's...
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP-jiminy View Post
I, too just bought a pair of the HPB H8 80W angel eye LEDs (160W total) from TopGearSolutions and was kind of surprised that the installation instructions are pretty skimpy. (Mine is a 2009 328i LCI w/ factory xenon headlights).

I'd also ordered the 14-bulb interior light kit, which I am very happy with. (The glove box light has been a real pain to install as the wire gives no slack, and am still figuring out how to re-install the wire to the housing).

However, upon installing the passenger side LED bulb, I must say I was disappointed to see that not only was the inner ring somewhat dimmer than even the stock halogen (still present on the driver's side), but I really couldn't tell if the outer ring was illuminated at all in broad daylight. On the other hand, the stock halogen outer ring has a distinct horseshoe illumination even in daylight. Even at night, the outer ring with the new LED showed no more than a faint whitish-blue hue. All this from a viewing distance of about 30 or 35 feet head-on with me crouching down to headlight level.

Is it in the way I've installed the bulb? It felt secure when I turned it in the socket. Any suggestions? I'm hesitant to install the other bulb until I get some feedback?
If you cannot see the outer ring then they were likely not installed properly. You should really install the other bulb so you can see the difference if any. That will tell you if it's the bulb, the install or the headlight.

Take them out and pay attention to orientation and make sure they are seated fully. If only one side is not producing light to the outer ring, then it's installation.

There are 3 tabs that are all slightly different. We leave the instructions broad because these lights fits dozens of applications, however, they install just like stock, they just have the plugs that connect to the factory harness.

That being said, the outer ring will always be dimmer then the inner ring. This is how BMW designed the rings. The inner light has a more direct source of light and the outer ring has etching in the rings which reduce output.

It should also be noted that if you are trying to view these in direct sun light they will not have vivid output, this goes for any 160W option available. This is because you are trying to view a white light on a chrome/clear background. By no accident, a brown dull halogen will appear to light up the area more because it's a contrasting color against the background.

We do our best to be up front with these lights which is why in the description we make note of all of these concerns that you've brought up. For a plug and play system this is the brightest you can get. If you want something more vivid, I'd suggest going with custom rings. So far we have a 99%+ positive feedback with the HPB lights. Keeping that in mind, all of our pictures are real customers pictures, un-edited. We purposely select customers pictures VS professional pictures so it's an honest depiction. You'll find most of those pictures are in direct sun light. This leads me further to believe they are not seated correctly. In some rare cases the fiber optic broke somehow and is not passing light to the outer ring.

I'd double check your installation as this would be the first complaint I've seen in 100's sold.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 07-06-2015 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0