Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

07-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Break-In Service

After a long road trip over the weekend I have found myself at the 1400 mile mark. Due to my experience over at the Audi section of my dealership, I was expecting to call today, drop the car off this afternoon and pick it up tomorrow as this is a fairly easy service to perform. Upon calling today, they can't fit me in until Wednesday of next week.

I am going on another trip this weekend and coupling that with normal commuting I will likely be over 2000 miles by the time the service is performed. Now I don't think I will be doing serious damage by continuing to drive but this is pretty ridiculous to not be able to have a simple service done on short notice with a quick turnaround.

Perhaps I was spoiled by my SA at Audi and this is how things normally work.

Am I doing damage here if I can't force them into taking my car sooner? Am I expecting too much from a dealer my family has purchased many high-end cars from in the past? I won't mention the total amount but it is not insubstantial so I don't think special treatment is out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

The time frame for appointment scheduling for this service with BMW seems appropriate. With previous vehicles (other makes), I too have been able to have quicker turnaround.

With my F80, the process has been a little different. I have identified the "best" SA at my local dealer and am willing to wait the extra week for his assistance.

You will be ok at 2000, but make sure your appointment is scheduled right after your trip. They need to flush the mechanical breakdown products, do oil change, change differential, and unleash LC.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:29 AM   #3
TheWheelMojo
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, Silverstone

I think this is par for the course. I dont think you're gonna have issues at all with the car. I had the same experience though. I hit 1150 and though I'd call and take it right in. Nope, a week later..1500 miles haha. I imagine BMW's much higher volume, and the included service packages to boot, we are getting about the best case scenario. I live in Austin and we only have one dealer, so they are crazy busy. I imagine things are a bit better in an area like Houston with like 5 dealers!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:33 AM   #4
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post

You will be ok at 2000, but make sure your appointment is scheduled right after your trip. They need to flush the mechanical breakdown products, do oil change, change differential, and unleash LC.
FYI- nothing gets flushed. Just an oil and differential fluid change.

At my dealer we usually do this service while the customer waits if they do not want to leave it. Takes about an hour as long as they do not have a list of other things/complaints. The 1,200 mile service does not take long at all
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82
Quote:

FYI- nothing gets flushed. Just an oil and differential fluid change.

At my dealer we usually do this service while the customer waits if they do not want to leave it. Takes about an hour as long as they do not have a list of other things/complaints. The 1,200 mile service does not take long at all
The service length depends on the dealer. Even with two week notice and a preemptive phone call, my local dealer took two days to complete my break in service ...correct oil filter had to be shipped overnight.

The remark about the "flush" was in reference to the oil and differential fluid change.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82
Quote:
The service length depends on the dealer. Even with two week notice and a preemptive phone call, my local dealer took two days to complete my break in service ...correct oil filter had to be shipped overnight.

The remark about the "flush" was in reference to the oil and differential fluid change.
That is 100% the dealers fault. They knew your vehicle was coming in on XX date, they know your VIN, they should have had the parts there ready for your vehicles appointment. Not, get the vehicle there. Realize they do not have the correct filter or drain plug for that matter since some are different and make the car sit and extra day. Not your fault, but that should not have been the case.

We stock the filters and drain plugs so this issue does not come about. In my eyes an oil change should not take 2 days because of lack of parts, they had time to prepare.
I love your attitude and level of preparedness. I have my 10,000 mile CBS next week. We will see what happens.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I love your attitude and level of preparedness. I have my 10,000 mile CBS next week. We will see what happens.
Goodluck. If I were you I would call the day before to verify they have your filter so if they do not they can next day it to be there. I am not sure about Florida dealers, but here on in New England we have a Boston warehouse. So if we do not have something and order by a certain time we get it either by 1pm or 4pm the same day.

I work for BMW so I see this type of stuff on a daily basis. A 2 day oil change is a killer as far as customer satisfaction is in most cases and usually get slammed on a survey because of it. The dealer should be prepared. I think the first 1200 mile service we ever did there was a drain plug issue since you need a new plug on some cars because the oil filter kit does not come with a replaceable washer and you really are not supposed to reuse the old one. We made sure that did not happen again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraeburn View Post
After a long road trip over the weekend I have found myself at the 1400 mile mark. Due to my experience over at the Audi section of my dealership, I was expecting to call today, drop the car off this afternoon and pick it up tomorrow as this is a fairly easy service to perform. Upon calling today, they can't fit me in until Wednesday of next week.
It all depends on your local dealer's staffing levels (this is summer, people disappear), and service load.

It is a quick service, so call around, and you should be able to schedule an in-and-out with another dealer not too far away.

a
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
It all depends on your local dealer's staffing levels (this is summer, people disappear), and service load.

It is a quick service, so call around, and you should be able to schedule an in-and-out with another dealer not too far away.

a
Exactly, although in Rhode Island where he is located I am not sure there are many options unless he ventures out to Mass.

If you want, take a ride out to CT to my dealer. PM me for details.
Appreciate 0