THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums CANADA Calgary 2-ers

07-25-2015, 02:58 AM   #1
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Calgary 2-ers

Hi guys!

I'm about to move to Calgary and I'm considering getting a 228i xDrive. It's also going to be the car that I'm going to drive year round.

I would just like to ask those that already own a 2 in Calgary about your experience. Is the 228 able to be driven year round in Calgary? Would the stock height be too low to clear snow/etc? Does the lower height mean the the sides get chipped more due to the gravel being throw at it?

Thank you guys in advance! It's going to be my first time living anywhere that goes under -5 degs celcius (I'm currently located in Vancouver), so I'm just unsure of what to expect.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

You'll be fine, I drove my 235 last winter. Just get winter tires and 3M film on the front and it will survive. If you live on a deeply snow rutted road it could be hazardous to the lower bumper, but I didn't have any trouble. Your windshield on the other hand will be lucky to make it more than a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Purchased my 228 in May 2014. Not an x drive, drove it last winter and drove my 128 for 4 winters before that. No problems (maybe 2-5 days/winter - but I drove it anyway). I run 17" 215 blizzacks). 3M on the front. Only damage is I need a windshield. I live in Okotoks. A buddy drives his 2011 M3 Cab on blizzacks too.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #4
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys! Really appreciating it.

1) It seems that 3M films are necessary! When you guys say 3M on the front, how much coverage do you guys have? (Full hood? Bumper? Half-hood? Headlights?)

2) Definitely looking at blizzaks, and I guess I'll look at 17" (assuming they're the same wheel diameter as the stock 18"?)

3) Since it seems that my windshield is absolutely going to get destroyed, how should I protect it?

4) Is there a need for undercarriage protection?

Thank you once again!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
I have half hood and i hate it. Go all the way or go home. Basically coat everything up to your mirrors in film. Its really not that expensive. The line across the middle of your hood really does look stupid.

Blizzaks are good but if i was to get a different set i would try to get into hakkapelita 8's ( studded) if i could. I probably will once i wear out my continentals. I find the ice traction to be very poor.

For your windshield just get insurance from ami or through your auto coverage plan. Or self insure and get it fixed when you need to. I just broke mine and the quote from the dealer to fix it was 1,300 dollars. Looking for another place atm.

No need for undercarriage protection just make sure you spray it off when you wash your car regularly.

My 2 was just fine as a winter car last year. But you should accept that there will be some days where you are just not going to be taking the car out first thing in the morning etc. I have an FJ cruiser for those situations lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post

My 2 was just fine as a winter car last year. But you should accept that there will be some days where you are just not going to be taking the car out first thing in the morning etc. I have an FJ cruiser for those situations lol.
Damn! I'm kinda apprehensive about this

What prevents you from going out? Assuming I have underground parking, will I still be facing the same problem?

Also, when you say everything up to the mirrors, I'm guessing that includes the bumper and front wheel arches too?

Thank you for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranimo View Post
Damn! I'm kinda apprehensive about this

What prevents you from going out? Assuming I have underground parking, will I still be facing the same problem?

Also, when you say everything up to the mirrors, I'm guessing that includes the bumper and front wheel arches too?

Thank you for the advice!

Well if there is a crazy ice storm or 2 feet of snow i wont take the BMW out lol

Car has 4 inches of clearance haha.

More of a common sense thing than anything, those are the kind of days where I stay home.

And yes whole bumper lights fenders.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep

Do you think the car can survive the trip from Vancouver to Calgary?

I'm picking it up in Vancouver and driving it back. I was thinking of doing it in Calgary to save on PST, but should I do the coating in Vancouver instead?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep

I run one size bigger Blizzacks (215-50-17) for the winter. Studs are good but almost everyday in the winter the roads are clear so winter tires work for me. If I was travelling in the mountains I would look at studded tires, I just use my diesel pickup. I drive the car everyday and I have heated parking at both ends. The front of my car is covered in 3m but only half the hood. One windshield per year and it cost about $300 to replace (4 of them on my 128 and I am due for one on the 228).

7.1l/100km and I have 32,000km. The car came with 225/40/18 tires and the profile is way too low for the quality of our roads (I have replaced two tires already due to road damage).

The 228 is really a good commuting car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

I'm picking it up in Vancouver and driving it back. I was thinking of doing it in Calgary to save on PST, but should I do the coating in Vancouver instead?
If you pick it up after Oct 1 you'll need winter tires to drive the #1 through to Calgary. If its winter and you do drive it you'd want the protective film, they put a lot of gravel down on the roads through the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you drive it all the way from Van you will need to have the car well detailed before a 3M install if you want the best results. Thats just for bugs, dust, debris getting into the clear coat. Assuming no chips even which i doubt is a concern over 1 drive.

Factor that into your costs for saving PST
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
7.1l/100km and I have 32,000km. The car came with 225/40/18 tires and the profile is way too low for the quality of our roads (I have replaced two tires already due to road damage).
Oh wow! That's good news about the mileage! I'm looking forward to getting similar numbers

Hope you guys don't mind me asking a few follow up questions!

1) It seems damaged/broken tires seem to be a recurring problem.
- Did you get the tire insurance from BMW?
- Would you guys recommend switching to non-run flat tires then?

2) How do you find the 3M coating? Do you think half the hood is fine, coverage wise? I know someone else suggested going full hood, but it seems that would almost double the price!

3) Windshield insurance. It seems the general consensus is AMI for glass? Does that usually come standard with the insurance? I did some research and there're tons of insurance providers. Any recommendations of a good/reliable insurance company to start with?

4) Pray For Mojo mentioned that I would need winter tires if I drive later than Oct 1st.
If that's the case, I was thinking of going through the US to calgary, instead of taking highway 1. That way I might even be able to pick up some winter tires on the way through the US.

So for the seasoned drivers out there:
- Do I still need winter tires if I take the US route at late sept/early oct?
- Is the 2 series able to transport a set of 4 tires as cargo? Will it fit?

Thanks again in advance guys! Your help has been really good in giving me an idea of what to expect when I drive to Calgary!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:57 AM   #13
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh wow! That's good news about the mileage! I'm looking forward to getting similar numbers

Hope you guys don't mind me asking a few follow up questions!

1) It seems damaged/broken tires seem to be a recurring problem.
- Did you get the tire insurance from BMW?
- Would you guys recommend switching to non-run flat tires then?

2) How do you find the 3M coating? Do you think half the hood is fine, coverage wise? I know someone else suggested going full hood, but it seems that would almost double the price!

3) Windshield insurance. It seems the general consensus is AMI for glass? Does that usually come standard with the insurance? I did some research and there're tons of insurance providers. Any recommendations of a good/reliable insurance company to start with?

4) Pray For Mojo mentioned that I would need winter tires if I drive later than Oct 1st.
If that's the case, I was thinking of going through the US to calgary, instead of taking highway 1. That way I might even be able to pick up some winter tires on the way through the US.

So for the seasoned drivers out there:
- Do I still need winter tires if I take the US route at late sept/early oct?
- Is the 2 series able to transport a set of 4 tires as cargo? Will it fit?

Thanks again in advance guys! Your help has been really good in giving me an idea of what to expect when I drive to Calgary!
1) BMW Tire insurance is priced based on their inflated costs of RFT. As such its stupid expensive coverage through the dealer. I would just self insure and watch where you are going. I think you can get aftermarket coverage through 3rd part shops. I haven't blown a tire on this car or any other car driving in Calgary...

Do not get RFT's. MPSS are worth it any day of the week.

2) i have the 3m half hood through BMW ( car came prepped that way) and I hate it. It mars and stains easily and the stupid line halfway up the hood is a major eye sore when you are within 10 feet of the car. 3rd party full front will be better quality ( self healing xpel etc) and you wont see the line. This is what you look forward to with a half hood...

3) I have heard good things about AMI but i don't actually have coverage.

4) You should not drive the car in MPSS's if the ambient temperature is much below 5 C. There is an obvious noticeable difference in grip at any temperature below 10. These are real performance summer tires. They also shouldn't be driven in ANY kind of snow or ice. They have NO grip in these conditions and you will crash the car. Someone bought a 335i x drive with these tires the day before i bought my 2. it was early April and he put it in a ditch that night. These tires don't fuck around. That said they are like glue in the summer and well worth it.

That being said you can decide for yourself if your route is possibly going to experience these conditions during your drive back.I personally swap my tires in mid October each year, but i also have 2 other cars I can drive with less extreme tires in the case of a freak storm.

The car does fit 4 mounted tires in the back with the seats down. Only just but they do fit.

Hope that is helpful.

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 08:46 PM   #14
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks to Killramos and everyone else who's chimed in! Really appreciate hearing your experiences, it's really helpful in making decisions for my move to Calgary!

1) How well maintained are the roads in Calgary? Lots of potholes?

2) Speaking of RFTs, did you switch your tires to non-RFs?
Mine come stock with RF All-seasons, but I was considering changing it myself to non-RFTs, such as the Pilot Sport A/S 3. I'm considering this both for the softer sidewall and better ride quality.

Is it true that low-profile non-RFTs would be able to absorb more impact compared to their RFT counter-parts?

3) And yeah, I'll have to do more research on the road conditions. Since I'm able to carry 4 mounted tires, I was thinking of swinging by the USA to pick up a set of winter tires (From tirerack) and entering via the Albertian border.

Thanks again to everyone for all your advice! If there's ever a Calgary meet up, I'll be sure to buy you guys a drink!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
cire
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would never buy runflats, but the car came with them. I lost the first one at 5000km. So I just replaced it instead of buying 4 new tires (Costco $275). Lost the second one at about 15000km. Replaced it at Costco too. They are wearing well (but I wouldn't buy anymore). Pilot PS2 I think.

The roads are well maintained (I guess). A 225/40 tirejust doesn't have much sidewall to absorb the potholes or irregularities. Maybe a 245 square set next.

Pretty much one windshield per year and they cost about $300 so maybe windshield insurance would help. I don't know what it costs.

3m for sure, without it the front would be chipped and pitted to hell in the first year.
Appreciate 0