F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > X-Drive future update?
Studio RSR

07-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

X-Drive future update?

Do you think that X-Drive will ever see an upgrade that allows the user to toggle between automatic power distribution to the axles and the option to vary the power distributions to the axles manually (Making car FWD or RWD in city...)
      07-26-2015, 08:50 PM   #2
R0ut3r
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 Lamborghini Urus, 2021 Fe

That seems unlikely.

The only hope for any control over x-drive functionality is when (if ever) M cars get xdrive.

Even then, you can't play with xdrive settings in the X5M or X6M so I would say this is a sign that it is really not something BMW is thinking about.

Cheers
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sports

I'd love that!
      07-27-2015, 02:20 AM   #4
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

I would like them to do a software update to improve the xDrive's performance setting while in Sport(+) mode. To allow the drive to drive more aggressively in dry and wet conditions.
2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

I just wish someone from BMW reads this and goes like "hmm, let's do it".
      07-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
I just wish someone from BMW reads this and goes like "hmm, let's do it".
Or they may say "why?"

Isn't the concept of xDrive already doing pretty much what users want... 'automatically'. Don't users buy xDrive because they want best grip, achieved by transferable torque, across a wide range of conditions and driver inputs?

What specific gains would there be adding manual control, other than not wanting an xDrive function?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2015, 04:11 AM   #7
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Or they may say "why?"

Isn't the concept of xDrive already doing pretty much what users want... 'automatically'. Don't users buy xDrive because they want best grip, achieved by transferable torque, across a wide range of conditions and driver inputs?

What specific gains would there be adding manual control, other than not wanting an xDrive function?

HighlandPete
More function for the car. It would make the car more enjoyable if you go on a track day, or if the user simply wants a more fun car whilst retaining the functionality of X-Drive, i.e switching X-Drive from auto to manual and vice versa without the need of changing cars. This would hugely bolster X-Drive sales IMO.
      07-27-2015, 04:13 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Or they may say "why?"

HighlandPete
Well, I would argue that the xDrive isn't doing exactly what I would want. I would like to see the xDrive have the ability to actively torque vector between left and right wheels of at least the rear axle. Similar to the Audi S4's Quattro.

xDrive is great in inclement weather, but it isn't a "performance AWD system" until it can do the above.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Well, I would argue that the xDrive isn't doing exactly what I would want. I would like to see the xDrive have the ability to actively torque vector between left and right wheels of at least the rear axle. Similar to the Audi S4's Quattro.

xDrive is great in inclement weather, but it isn't a "performance AWD system" until it can do the above.
BMW have marketed xDrive in the 3-series as an 'all-weather' vehicle rather than a performance drive. Ride height and suspension options being real indicators of the intended marketplace.

I guess future M-cars may get the full works, with torque vectoring like the X5/6 M models.

Not sure BMW have xDrive as a priority for performance 3/4 series at present. Could change I suppose, as they are missing a trick with Audi out there taking potential sales.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

Would you be willing (and all other Xdrive owners) to pay say £5k ($8k) over and above current price?

The new M5 when it comes out may show what can be done with a performance car and xdrive.

However, xdrive is not and not marketed as performance,

I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
..I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
I was thinking a similar way before my first post. Never commented on this, as I was waiting to see how this thread takes direction.

Do many owners/drivers even know how xDrive is working now during their driving? The thought on an "aggressive driving" (Sport+) setting, what would that be? xDrive is supposed to already adjust to grip levels and driver input, so other than a more advanced system like torque vectoring, how can it be adjusted to be more attuned to a Sport+ type setting?

I suggest other than disconnecting the front axle drive (make it RWD with all the disadvantages of a front heavy car with additional rotating mass and inertia) any switching implementation has to have some positive advantage. What that is... any definitions?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Would you be willing (and all other Xdrive owners) to pay say £5k ($8k) over and above current price?
Yes. Absolutely.

Quote:
The new M5 when it comes out may show what can be done with a performance car and xdrive.
Audi does it with its sport diff. I'm certain BMW's engineers can do it as well.

Quote:
And it's marketed properly. BMW's system is designed for foul weather traction, not for performance.

Quote:
I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
That's why is should be an extra cost option, like Audi's sport diff.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport

Matt Farah on the smoking tire took a 235iM xDrive out on a track in both wet and dry, and he did not like it in the wet at all. In the dry, it was good, but when it became wet the xDrive did not let him drive the car the way he wanted to.

2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality | Precision Raceworks N55 Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
More function for the car. It would make the car more enjoyable if you go on a track day, or if the user simply wants a more fun car whilst retaining the functionality of X-Drive, i.e switching X-Drive from auto to manual and vice versa without the need of changing cars. This would hugely bolster X-Drive sales IMO.
While this would benefit you and some other enthusiasts, the typical BMW owner only buys xDrive because of the perceived poor weather benefits. These added functions would be over their heads.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

Since BMW is planning to implement xdrive on their true M-cars, they better put some effort into developing it to be more like Quattro.

I also like the ability to control power distribution. More choice is always better in my eyes, which is why I like functions like the Active Chassis Control and Throttle Control.
      07-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #16
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

What I find interesting is the changes that have been occurring in xDrive implementation.

On the F30, for the first time as far as I can tell, BMW started offering an optional suspension, sport AT, and variable sport steering with xDrive.

On the M235i and the 6 series, they are offering the same sport suspension and ride height on xDrive as on RWD.

One thing I don't understand-
BMW seems to market the 4 series as sportier than the 3 series, similar to the 6 vs the 5. Given that I don't know why BMW doesn't offer the same sport suspension and ride height for xDrive as for RWD in the 4 series.

Bruce
      07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

It depends. Is BMW with it's new AWD system delivering a better value/package than it's competitors at that price? If so, then yes. If not, then no.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #18
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
What I find interesting is the changes that have been occurring in xDrive implementation.

On the F30, for the first time as far as I can tell, BMW started offering an optional suspension, sport AT, and variable sport steering with xDrive.

On the M235i and the 6 series, they are offering the same sport suspension and ride height on xDrive as on RWD.

BMW seems to market the 4 series as sportier than the 3 series, similar to the 6 vs the 5. Given that I don't know why BMW doesn't offer the same sport suspension and ride height for xDrive as for RWD in the 4 series.

Bruce
Agreed - though I believe the changes in the F30 you refer to above have come with the LCI. I can only assume they will flow down (up?) to the F32/F36 when it hits LCI next year.
      07-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #19
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Do you think that X-Drive will ever see an upgrade that allows the user to toggle between automatic power distribution to the axles and the option to vary the power distributions to the axles manually (Making car FWD or RWD in city...)
sounds like you want a pick up truck with a low range box.

the xdrive system is a combination of electronically and mechanically controlled components. haldex is mostly electronic and torsen is all mechanical all the time.

i highly doubt any bmw driver would want this ghastly device propped up next to their comfort access doors, leather dash and other "luxury" features:

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #20
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

the xdrive system is a combination of electronically and mechanically controlled components. haldex is mostly electronic and torsen is all mechanical all the time.

i highly doubt any bmw driver would want this ghastly device propped up next to their comfort access doors, leather dash and other "luxury" features:

I'm pretty sure BMW can hook it up to the iDrive system haha. Furthermore, I don't think I really want a transfer case, I just want to have the ability to adjust the power distribution for a more spirited approach drive sometimes.
      07-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #21
marlin2911
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post

Actually, it sounds more like everyone that wants this wants Nissan's ATTESA E-TS AWD system. Car is AWD when starting from 0-16mph (at least on the G37 it is), then the car transfers power 100% to the rear at driving speeds until the system detects slip, at which point power is then returned to the proper wheels. The drive system is mostly RWD in architecture, and power is sent to the front wheels via transfer case. It's heavy, but it works incredibly well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:04 AM   #22
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post

Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
Agreed - though I believe the changes in the F30 you refer to above have come with the LCI. I can only assume they will flow down (up?) to the F32/F36 when it hits LCI next year.
My suspicion is that they are 'testing' this in their lower volume vehicles first. Could you imagine how much of a hit they would take if they put it in the 3/4 and then later realized there's some catastrophic flaw?
Appreciate 0