THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Opti coat or Clear bra?

07-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #1
kimnle
Rep
Drives: Waiting for my delivery!

Opti coat or Clear bra?

Both of these options are quite costly, and I would be ready to spend money for the added protection.

What are the pros/cons when you compare both (opticoat pro/xpel Ultimate)? Does it even make sense to both?

This will be my first new car- so any advice would be well appreciated

Kim
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I would clear bra the entire front end, rockers, mirrors and hood. If it wasn't too pricey, I would also add the qtr panels to keep them safe if you add spacers or change the ET via other wheels.

Opti coat really protects the paint from bird poop and the such, but not from rocks!!!

My clear bra has saved my front end several times already!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

I ended up doing both. I had Xpel Ultimate applied to my front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts (I looked at my previous car, 2008 135i and found that those were the most damaged panels).

Then I had the entire car Opti-Coat Pro'd, including over the panels with Xpel Ultimate on them. Maybe overkill to some, but I drive my car 365 days a year pretty much.

P.S. I decided against having Xpel on the hood of my 235i, because the bumper actually comes up over the grilles on this car and over the BMW logo (which was part of the hood on the E series BMWs). So there is only a very small angle in which, i.e. a rock would have to fly at the front of your car to hit the hood, and not the bumper. At least that's what I think!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I would also recommend A-Pillars & Roof (to sunroof), I had the hood, fenders & mirrors done and a week later had two sizable chunks taken out of the roof.

I didn't go with the front-bumper because it's not going to rust anyway and having heard about poor finish on all the contours.

I can't speak to Opti-Coating or the like, I am obsessive with washing anyway so waxing and paint sealants are enough protection against bird poop, sap, etc for me. If don't want to wash & wax regularly then Opti-Coat + PPF is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Detailers Domain
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

If you had to choose one I would say clear film it you can always go back to do a paint correction and a coating at a later date, but you can't get back the oem paint that has been damaged by rock chips or road debris.
Appreciate 0