E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > need help on front right suspension

08-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
pa2014
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335 x drive

need help on front right suspension

sup guys,

I have 335xi coupe. neway, i hit this pothole, tire/rim seems to be okay, but eversince hitting this pothole, car started to pull to the right. I thought it had to do with tire/rim but they are just fine( checked two times with experts). So i decided to do wheel alignment and the guy coudn't finish right side of alignment saying lower control arm and sway bar link is bad so they cannot be adjusted/ coudn't move them. I went to different body shop he says front strut might have been bent and i might need to replace shock. Can you please recommend good front strut, shock and lower control arm?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

If they can't pin point the issue you should not give them your money to start replacing parts.
What they have told you is only a guess, shot in the dark.
3rd shop might tell you something else.

*from factory there isn't anything someone could adjust on the lower control arm and sway bar link. Only the toe is adjustable on the outer tie rods*

They are just after your money I assume.

Bent strut but the rim is OK? I find than highly unlikely.
I would concentrate on bent sway bar link and/or outer tie rod.
Also check the strut mount to make sure it has not moved/shifter which will affect the camber hence the pull to one side.
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
pa2014
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
If they can't pin point the issue you should not give them your money to start replacing parts.
What they have told you is only a guess, shot in the dark.
3rd shop might tell you something else.

*from factory there isn't anything someone could adjust on the lower control arm and sway bar link. Only the toe is adjustable on the outer tie rods*

They are just after your money I assume.

Bent strut but the rim is OK? I find than highly unlikely.
I would concentrate on bent sway bar link and/or outer tie rod.
Also check the strut mount to make sure it has not moved/shifter which will affect the camber hence the pull to one side.
Good luck!
th for your input. I also realize, there is a much tigher tire gap on right side compare to left side. do you know y its causing this?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa2014 View Post
sup guys,

I have 335xi coupe. neway, i hit this pothole, tire/rim seems to be okay, but eversince hitting this pothole, car started to pull to the right. I thought it had to do with tire/rim but they are just fine( checked two times with experts). So i decided to do wheel alignment and the guy coudn't finish right side of alignment saying lower control arm and sway bar link is bad so they cannot be adjusted/ coudn't move them. I went to different body shop he says front strut might have been bent and i might need to replace shock. Can you please recommend good front strut, shock and lower control arm?

Easy enough. Have 'em show you + prove what they say. Did I say prove? Yep - they gotta show beyond doubt, and that just might involve measureing and/or taking apart. It's hell when a mech's gotta back up his talk, but does separate men from boys.

How'd it go?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
th for your input. I also realize, there is a much tigher tire gap on right side compare to left side. do you know y its causing this?
Ride height will vary depending on how flat and even the ground is.
However, even on perfectly flat and even surfaces all e9x will sit lower on the passenger side. The car is designed like that.
There are many treads on the subject. Don't get bother with that.
In my area most shops offer free alignment check. Go and play dumb. Don't tell them you hit pothole, don't tell them is pulling to the right, don't say anything at all.
Simply wait on them to inspect and report back.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
pa2014
Private
Rep

went to 3rd shop today, they were able to move camber n did alignment. All in all, it turned out that the rim is bent. the guy switched the tire in the front, and now the car pulls to the left. I thought it was bent rim as well, but wheel repair guy said it was not bent and it didn't look like it was bent. There is no vibration or anything on highway as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #7
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well good, at least you know what the problems is. If you are on stock wheels I advise you to buy recondition OEM wheel. Install it and car will ride nice straight and true
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
went to 3rd shop today, they were able to move camber n did alignment. All in all, it turned out that the rim is bent. the guy switched the tire in the front, and now the car pulls to the left. I thought it was bent rim as well, but wheel repair guy said it was not bent and it didn't look like it was bent. There is no vibration or anything on highway as well.

Y'see? Those expensive mechanics wouldn't be able to prove their diagnosis.

Whelp, hindsight's a wonderful thing, but keep this in mind.
Appreciate 0