proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

08-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & X6

Xenons vs LED's?

Hey Guys hope you're all having fun in M4's and enjoying them! I'm in the middle of placing an order for my new toy which will be an M4 but one of the optional extras i'm unsure about is do I stick with the standard xenons or tick the LED headlights option? just wondered what the main differences are between the two and is it really worth the extra £1600? You're thoughts and feedback will be much appreciated in making me decide so thanks in advance guys

Last edited by UltimateManga; 08-05-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
BavarianDevil
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Silverstone/Beige

Get the LEDs. The M4 is my second car with BMWs LEDs. They are not only brighter but intelligent in that they adjust based on oncoming cars positioning. If you look it up on You Tube I think there is a video that explains the technology behind the LEDs. They are more then just good looking & brighter lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 06:00 AM   #3
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I wasn't sure either at that price! In the end I went for it and do NOT regret it they are awesome!

This video show nicely how the lights work from about half way through.

https://youtu.be/CBUYm5AghVI

PS how do you embed a youtube video into your posts?
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI

My Xenons are also adaptive so behave the same as in that video. That isn't unique to LED i don't believe? Thats why i couldn't justify the additional £1600.. it just seemed an expensive nice to have.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Rusk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 DCT Tanzanite Blue

I thought the vehicle tracking and sectors switching between full and normal beam was an LED only feature?
BMW M4 - Tanzanite Blue, Silverstone Full Merino Leather, M DCT, Comfort Access, Reversing Camera, Sun Protection Glass, Extended Storage, Armrest with sliding adjustment, Interior trim finisher - Pearl Chrome, Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Surround-View Camera, M Head-up Display, Harman/Kardon Surround Sound, Internet, Online Entertainment, Speed Limit Display, Piano Black Interior BMW Individual.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a little update on the situation even my dealer said there not really worth the extra £1600 better off having the adaptive xenons with high beam assistant for £360 so probably just do that!?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
HAN1D
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

if you can afford the LED option then go for it, it looks nicer on the car and more effective for those that know the difference.

i chose the adaptive xenon's and i dont really regret it.

but whatever works for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

I disagree with the above , i put an LED M4 next to my Xenon M4 and couldnt really tell the difference.

Save yourself the money and go with - adaptive xenons with high beam assistant for £360
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 GR Zupra

Yeah I could tell there is a difference from led to xenons.
There was a bigger difference personally for me spending $1900 USD on a jb4 and downpipes putting down 500+ whp on e30
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
UltimateManga
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAN1D View Post
if you can afford the LED option then go for it, it looks nicer on the car and more effective for those that know the difference.

i chose the adaptive xenon's and i dont really regret it.

but whatever works for you.
Its not really about affording the LED's when spending 60k + but more about are they really that much better and make such a difference than the standard xenons or instead spending on other optional extras instead!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe see if your local dealer has both you can try (obviously at night) i did that and didn't think they were much if at all better and certainly didn't warrant £1600 . That is literally the only option i didnt tick. Id rather put that money towards some new springs so the car doesnt look like its on stilts (which i think the standard car does unfortunately)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 04:32 AM   #12
mlovernotafighter
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

For me, it was all about if they look that much better vs. any benefits in road lighting during night driving, which I do very little of (it's not like Xenons don't do a good job anyways).

Purely on looks of halos and headlamp design, feel the Xenons look great for free vs. $1900 for LEDs. Halo vs. Halo look, pretty much the same, LED being a tad brighter when on. Between housing designs, it actually seems the black aspects of the Xenons help define the twin halo look vs. the LEDs which are all silver are less defined, but are more sparkly and crystal like. LEDs I do think it tells people you spent more on the bling factor, if that's important to you.

I looked at these in person for a while during a dealership visit and didn't get the feeling it was a slam dunk on LEDs. Although, if I drove a lot at night, the adaptive and dazzle features would be worth it, real use value.

At the end, it's about what you think is worth it.

If you're not concerned about costs, and since looks wise it's about the same or better, plus LEDs have better tech for night driving, blingy - you could just check the box. If you're a value seeker, debatable.

Name:  PhotoGrid_1439025723841-1.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  778.0 KB

Last edited by mlovernotafighter; 08-08-2015 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2015, 03:36 AM   #13
AdamW
First Lieutenant
Rep

I do think the LEDs look better when 'off' but didnt see much difference when on or on halo's so didnt bother.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #14
RossP
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I've ordered adaptive Xenons. The price premium for the LEDs was too much IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #15
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

The f30 facelift brought the premium for the LEDs down by half. I think the overpricing problem will be fixed RSN.

The halos are always LEDs.
Appreciate 0