E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Does my front sit too high?

08-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Does my front sit too high?

For some reason I think my car's front sits a lot higher than others who have the same setup. I have eibach pro-kit springs, which I got used on here, PO said they have about 5k miles so they're definitely settled, and I didn't replace my old tophats so those obviously won't settle any more. I bought the eibachs because I didn't want the rear to be dumped like the h&r's do a bit (especially the xi version). My rear is perfect ride height to me but there's still a lot more wheel gap in the front than I'd like. I'm basing this off other members car's I've seen on here.

Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Mine looked liked that when I first installed my prokits. I found it took a while before they settled. Once I drove on them for a while they eventually matched the rear. See my garage pic (the rolling shot) to see how it eventually settled.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Mine looked liked that when I first installed my prokits. I found it took a while before they settled. Once I drove on them for a while they eventually matched the rear. See my garage pic (the rolling shot) to see how it eventually settled.
But I bought them used, albeit only with 5k miles, they looked even newer, so I didn't think they'd need to settle if they weren't brand new.

Your car is gorgeous in your rolling shot

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335 View Post
But I bought them used, albeit only with 5k miles, they looked even newer, so I didn't think they'd need to settle if they weren't brand new.

Your car is gorgeous in your rolling shot
are the springs specific for your car?
weights do vary:AT > MT, Idrive > non Idrive, sport seat > non sport seat
so if you car is little liter it will sit little higher
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
are the springs specific for your car?
weights do vary:AT > MT, Idrive > non Idrive, sport seat > non sport seat
so if you car is little liter it will sit little higher
No, eibach only makes one model for the E90. But I'm thinking my front is about 1/3'' to 1/2'' higher than others. It shouldn't make THAT big of a difference. I've even seen 328i's that sit lower in the front with the same setup, and the N54 weighs a good amount more.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
No, eibach only makes one model for the E90. But I'm thinking my front is about 1/3'' to 1/2'' higher than others. It shouldn't make THAT big of a difference. I've even seen 328i's that sit lower in the front with the same setup, and the N54 weighs a good amount more.
Unfortunately they all do that, the pro-kits on XI's I mean. Or at least many, mine included. Lot of discussion in the XI section. One problem is the XI lower perch in front sits higher above wheel center than non-XI. So you get the rear looking relatively squished.

My solution was I used a set of ZSP rear springs, kept the Eibach fronts. Gets the gaps about the same F/R. Outside of coil overs, seems nobody has a spring set that does not tend to give relative rear droop on XI's.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Unfortunately they all do that, the pro-kits on XI's I mean. Or at least many, mine included. Lot of discussion in the XI section. One problem is the XI lower perch in front sits higher above wheel center than non-XI. So you get the rear looking relatively squished.

My solution was I used a set of ZSP rear springs, kept the Eibach fronts. Gets the gaps about the same F/R. Outside of coil overs, seems nobody has a spring set that does not tend to give relative rear droop on XI's.
Doh. I tried searching but didn't find much, and I don't check the xi section that often.

I was thinking of buying some h&r sports are just putting those in the front and keeping the eibachs in the rear, I know the h&r is a bit more aggressive.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Doh. I tried searching but didn't find much, and I don't check the xi section that often.

I was thinking of buying some h&r sports are just putting those in the front and keeping the eibachs in the rear, I know the h&r is a bit more aggressive.
People report similar problems with H&R sports (rear droop). I am not sure you'd be better off with mixing them but I don't believe anyone has tried. The issue with all of them as I said earlier is the front sits higher than expected even though you get a larger drop than advertised for non-XI, just the rear drops even more. The reason I did what I did with ZSP is 2-part. One I knew the rear ZSP drop is less than with pro kit. And the second part is front XI is starting to run out of travel at the height say the pro kit takes it down to, even though gap is greater than rear.

So rather than trying to match the gap in back by lowering the front more, I decided to raise the rear to match the gap in front. There are things like shorter bump stops you have to finesse esp in front on XI, again read up in XI section.

BTW the embedded search here on e90post is not that great for multiple terms. I would use Google instead, type in your terms then "site: e90post.com" and you'll be able to refine results better.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #9
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
For some reason I think my car's front sits a lot higher than others who have the same setup. I have eibach pro-kit springs, which I got used on here, PO said they have about 5k miles so they're definitely settled, and I didn't replace my old tophats so those obviously won't settle any more. I bought the eibachs because I didn't want the rear to be dumped like the h&r's do a bit (especially the xi version). My rear is perfect ride height to me but there's still a lot more wheel gap in the front than I'd like. I'm basing this off other members car's I've seen on here.

Maybe it's just me and I'm crazy.

This is exactly how mine settled. I'm going to have a shop reinstall the lowering perches to even out the gap.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
I don't know if you can do this on an xi, but if you have BMW / oem struts, here's what some have done for rwd to lower the front.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=clevis

EDIT: never mind, just reviewed all of it, don't think it will work for xi.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I think the cutout on the rear wheel well is lower, making it look like the front is sitting higher. When I lowered mine, I measured the distance between the center of the wheel and the apex of the wheel well arch. When they are exactly the same, the car has a slight rake appearance. Your side skirt looks even, I bet the 4 jack points are the same distance from the ground.

Appreciate 0