E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMWPS installed - now height increase?? Pics attached.

08-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #1
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

BMWPS installed - now height increase?? Pics attached.

Ok so i finished installing the BMWPS v1 on my m-sport. Still on sport springs D4 in the rear and D7 in the front.

Overall the front height has increased sustantially due to longer shocks, bumpstops, spring pads and strut mounts. Definately not the look I was after.

Should I have trimmed the bumpstops? Why are the shocks so much longer?

Also note how much bigger the strut mount is. I dont think the old one worn away that much from an original shape so wonder why is the new one so much bigger.

Really want lowering springs now but have read that H&R are not a good match for these shocks.

Appreciate any comments/views!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Do you have a pic of the car before? Weird that everything is just a bit taller than your old stuff ...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
New suspension needs some time to settle. I would give it a few weeks then check back to see if the wheel gap is the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Bump stops shouldn't matter for ride height, unless you have reason to believe your car is resting on them when it's parked.

IMO your upper strut mount is the likely cause, maybe spring settling as well?

Looking at the two struts, the clevis determines how deep the strut body sits in the pinch clamp. Are your new strut clevis resting firmly on the pinch clamp? (are they as deep in the clamp as possible)

The picture comparison might suggest that the bottom of the new strut clevis sits lower than the old strut, but it's hard to tell for sure from the pic as the struts are not lined up perfectly with each other.

Strut shafts may be of different lengths as some shafts will recede on removal. My BMW PS1 struts and PS2 struts did not recede, or at least not enough to complicate top hat install.

Since I had the PS1 kit I should mention that when it came out, it did not list E92 or E93 for compatibility. I ran into this when I tried to sell the kit used. I doubt this is the issue as I suspect it was a timing issue of when the models came out... just fyi.
EDIT: looking at your pics, I think you are E90 so never mind.

Last edited by mlifxs; 08-13-2015 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

The strut mounts are known to compress/collapse a bit over time, although from that pic it looks like maybe the old ones are pretty shot. New ones will settle some after a bit but I doubt as much as the old ones until they too are shot.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
mr.335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Should've gotten the V2 with springs. I think your old shocks are just shot though, let the suspension settle first and see.
      08-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

I dont have a good before shot but here goes.

Before it was a two finger gap. Now its a four finger gap.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:56 PM   #8
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
Bump stops shouldn't matter for ride height, unless you have reason to believe your car is resting on them when it's parked.

IMO your upper strut mount is the likely cause, maybe spring settling as well?

Looking at the two struts, the clevis determines how deep the strut body sits in the pinch clamp. Are your new strut clevis resting firmly on the pinch clamp? (are they as deep in the clamp as possible)

The picture comparison might suggest that the bottom of the new strut clevis sits lower than the old strut, but it's hard to tell for sure from the pic as the struts are not lined up perfectly with each other.

Strut shafts may be of different lengths as some shafts will recede on removal. My BMW PS1 struts and PS2 struts did not recede, or at least not enough to complicate top hat install.

Since I had the PS1 kit I should mention that when it came out, it did not list E92 or E93 for compatibility. I ran into this when I tried to sell the kit used. I doubt this is the issue as I suspect it was a timing issue of when the models came out... just fyi.
EDIT: looking at your pics, I think you are E90 so never mind.
Thanks will check if its riding on the bumpstops.

The new shocks are installed completely inserted into the clamp/pinch bolt. The pic I took is at an angle but i did line them up perfectly for comparison. I forgot the measurements but i think it was about 100mm difference. The max out at different heights too.

What do you mean "recede on removal" with struts? I had a hard time getting these struts back in under the fender/front guard as they were so much longer. Had to press down pretty hard on the spring and barely managed to squeeze it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #9
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.335i View Post
Should've gotten the V2 with springs. I think your old shocks are just shot though, let the suspension settle first and see.
Yeah but I got this kit for $400 vs the v2 kit at $1300. I am looking for new springs now either EPK or the BMW yellows.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
mr.335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post
Yeah but I got this kit for $400 vs the v2 kit at $1300. I am looking for new springs now either EPK or the BMW yellows.
Ahh I see now. I would try the BMW yellows. I don't see why they wouldn't pair up nicely.
      08-13-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jin View Post

What do you mean "recede on removal" with struts? I had a hard time getting these struts back in under the fender/front guard as they were so much longer. Had to press down pretty hard on the spring and barely managed to squeeze it in.
The shaft on some struts will retract or recede back into the strut body, once the top hat is removed. Some do not or barely do. On your picture, the old strut shaft appears shorter than the new strut shaft, and I'm suggesting that perhaps the old strut shaft receded.

In some cases, the receding will make it extremely difficult to attach the top hat: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939230

I could be wrong, but I don't think the length of the shaft would cause your difficulty in getting the strut + spring back under the car. I would think the spring is the driver of the difficulty. When I've done spring or strut work, I still need the spring compressors on in order to get everything back inside the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #12
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlifxs View Post
The shaft on some struts will retract or recede back into the strut body, once the top hat is removed. Some do not or barely do. On your picture, the old strut shaft appears shorter than the new strut shaft, and I'm suggesting that perhaps the old strut shaft receded.

In some cases, the receding will make it extremely difficult to attach the top hat: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939230

I could be wrong, but I don't think the length of the shaft would cause your difficulty in getting the strut + spring back under the car. I would think the spring is the driver of the difficulty. When I've done spring or strut work, I still need the spring compressors on in order to get everything back inside the wheel well.
OK i see what you mean. The shaft on the old strut was fully extended I made sure of that when comparing them with each other. In my case getting the old strut out was easy. But getting the new one in was a problem. The spring wasnt the problem it was the longer strut mount and raised lower spring pad just increased the length enough to not clear the fender. Can you tell you compressing a spring even an inch with body weight is not easy. Lucky im changing out the controls arms as they would have been stressed with all the shoving and swearing
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 11:07 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

The strut bodies although different in lenght will not affect the ride height since they are identical from the clevis stop to the lower spring perch. On the Performance struts the bottom portion is longer to accommodate the different valving and the longer shaft.
The vehicle sits little highter mainly from two reasons:
-strut mounts not broken in
-strut shaft valving not broken in
Until these get broken in they will add to the total spring rate and make the vehicle sit little higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer
The strut bodies although different in lenght will not affect the ride height since they are identical from the clevis stop to the lower spring perch. On the Performance struts the bottom portion is longer to accommodate the different valving and the longer shaft.
The vehicle sits little highter mainly from two reasons:
-strut mounts not broken in
-strut shaft valving not broken in
Until these get broken in they will add to the total spring rate and make the vehicle sit little higher.
The strut housing are both exactly the same length. The only difference is the shaft so the new performance strut will bottom out much sooner than the old one.

I wonder if the difference is because my E90 is a euro model not us model.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:13 AM   #15
Jec1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i sedan, 2013 Fr-s

Jin as I mentioned to you via PM I recently went through the same install on my 2011 sedan, and my ride height was consistent.

Now that I'm viewing your concern in more detail, I see your point. My 2011 definitely came from the factory with a higher front ride height than my 2007, both zsp suspension.

The V1 shocks didn't raise the front end at all after install on my 2011. My 2007, however, very well may have appeared slightly higher with all new components prior to settling as it had less gap out of the gate.

Looking at the side profile of the car, I'm pretty sure it will likely settle in over a couple thousand miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #16
jin
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
Jin as I mentioned to you via PM I recently went through the same install on my 2011 sedan, and my ride height was consistent.

Now that I'm viewing your concern in more detail, I see your point. My 2011 definitely came from the factory with a higher front ride height than my 2007, both zsp suspension.

The V1 shocks didn't raise the front end at all after install on my 2011. My 2007, however, very well may have appeared slightly higher with all new components prior to settling as it had less gap out of the gate.

Looking at the side profile of the car, I'm pretty sure it will likely settle in over a couple thousand miles.
Hey thanks for your comment and the PM. As you can see i did it myself so pretty sure everything went in as its supposed to.

You are right on the money it will settle over time. After 1 week the gap is now down to 3 fingers from 4 so hopefully will settle about the same ride height. I dont mind if its a little higher as I may get new springs and prefer not to have a slammed look just want better performance. Depends on how these struts perform with the old springs.
Appreciate 0