E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Front Strut from Tire-Rack(Install Pep-Boys)

08-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Bash328I
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Monaco Blue

Front Strut from Tire-Rack(Install Pep-Boys)

A few months ago i was informed by EAG(Enthusiast Auto Group) that my front strut was leaking Oil. I did not notice any major change in ride quality, i was told it may be good for at least 6 months and i would start noticing changes by then.

I was thinking of getting it replaced but their quote was for about $900 including parts and labor.

I searched on tire Rack and would be able to get the same set up for much lower price sans the installation.I don't think the installation is much different for BMW compared to other cars .

Do you think Pep Boys would be able to handle this job...?

Also any other jobs that can be done when changing the struts..?

2009 328 I sports package, 46K.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Technically speaking, they should.

Realistically speaking, I wouldn't trust them. It took me months to find a trusted mechanic and it ain't PepBoys.
      08-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash328I View Post
A few months ago i was informed by EAG(Enthusiast Auto Group) that my front strut was leaking Oil. I did not notice any major change in ride quality, i was told it may be good for at least 6 months and i would start noticing changes by then.

I was thinking of getting it replaced but their quote was for about $900 including parts and labor.

I searched on tire Rack and would be able to get the same set up for much lower price sans the installation.I don't think the installation is much different for BMW compared to other cars .

Do you think Pep Boys would be able to handle this job...?

Also any other jobs that can be done when changing the struts..?

2009 328 I sports package, 46K.
Are you on the Buckeye chapter facebook page? Lots of Ohio guys (assuming you are around Cinci) that can give you a recommendation for someone close and reasonable.
      08-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Agreed; you need to hop into the local sub-forum and do a better job of finding an installer.

I also hope you're not planning on replacing just ONE strut lol fail
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Bash328I
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Monaco Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
Are you on the Buckeye chapter facebook page? Lots of Ohio guys (assuming you are around Cinci) that can give you a recommendation for someone close and reasonable.
I am in Florence,Ky..will check out the FB page..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Agreed; you need to hop into the local sub-forum and do a better job of finding an installer.

I am a noob when it comes to cars and repairs (trying to change that )but not that clueless...definitely changing both struts.

Thanks for the inputs.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #6
E91 M Sport
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
While it does make sense to change out both I suggest humbling yourself a wee bit when calling someone out as a fail for only fixing what was broken.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:07 AM   #7
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

a local enthusiast shop in socal just charged me $75 per wheel to change strut or shock. So keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E91 M Sport View Post
While it does make sense to change out both I suggest humbling yourself a wee bit when calling someone out as a fail for only fixing what was broken.
lol no thanks. It doesn't just "make sense" it's the correct way to go about fixing the issue. Your argument would hold true if this were mediocremechanics.com but it isn't. Luckily, half-ass advice is rarely given around here but if that's what you feel more comfortable reading, maybe try looking elsewhere
Appreciate 0