E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Adjustable shocks

08-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Adjustable shocks

I'm moving and getting ready to drive @1000 miles to Vegas. My car is lowered on Ground Control coilovers and was just a little tucked.

So I loaded most of what I decided not to ship with the movers and now the rear sits so low, I cannot even get my finger in between the tires and fender edge of the back wheels. Fronts are fine. I still have more to load. And this is with a full tank of gas.

It actually doesn't rub at all yet. I went over some speed bumps a little harder than normal and no rub noise. I don't really want to jack it and adjust the ride height as that will take tools I no longer have with me....like the jack and stands. I have my spare tire and change kit, but I am not doing it with that. But I can go in and adjust the shocks to be max stiff. Unfortunately I'll have to remove everything from the trunk and take out covers, which is actually more difficult than it sounds lol. It's currently at 2 or 3 and can be set to 5 as max.

Is there any point in doing that? I have 200lbs at most more worth of stuff to load and will be readjusting the load and moving the heaviest stuff I can to the front passenger seat if possible as well.

Last edited by Casca; 08-30-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

I would go thru the trouble of raising the car as the shocks are not designed to operate with the shaft almost fully compressed for extended periods.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Casca
Captain
Rep

Adjusting the struts was easier than I imagined. Even got the covers back on. I just remember the first time being a pain. Unfortunately it made little difference, although I went ahead and loaded just about everything. Maybe 75lbs more stuff to go in and all that is sitting in the front, so this is about full load for the rear. Looks...very tucked, but it only rubs a little going over big speed bumps at higher than normal speeds than I normally use for those. I think it's just touching the felt/cardboard wheelwell covers, not the lip of the fender. And it's not fully compressed, those struts get really stiff. It sits 1" lower than it was at the very most.

Will go ahead and adjust height though. I have the exact tools I need for this job. It's in a box sitting in some storage lot waiting for me to tell them to deliver once I settle in where I am moving to

Guess I'll go to harbor freight lol
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

You're adjusting rebound, which is the rate at which the shock is "resisted" returning to OE position unloaded. This will do nothing to solve the issue.

You need a shock which is adjustable on compression, these adjustments are typically at the bottom of the shock, this adjustment resists the shock to compress against road forces.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
MrN1ceGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 330i 6MT ZSP ZPP

adjusting the rebound to full max is probably a bad move, it may end up jacking down and destroying your shocks. Personally, I would raise the ride height and leave the rebound untouch (or maybe even softening it a touch)
      08-31-2015, 04:23 PM   #6
Casca
Captain
Rep

I raised it as high as I was comfortable and ended up taking more stuff as well. e90 are not trucks. It was still very tucked, but I made it. Thought for sure the struts were toast, but with the weight removed, it seems to be sitting as it should. I'll jack it and check for any evidence of fluid leak when I can, but driving it without the weight feels as good as ever.
Appreciate 0