E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HAWK HP Street 5.0 AND Centric Cyro rotor small & quick review

09-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

HAWK HP Street 5.0 AND Centric Cyro rotor small & quick review

Hi guys,

I bought new sets of rotor and pads 4 months ago:

CENTRIC High Carbon Plain 125 series Cyro treated rotors FRONT AND REAR

HAWK HP street 5.0 pads FRONT AND REAR

Let me make it quick and simple:

Right after installation, it feels like not enough friction cause you need to bed in (duh)

So I go to a long back road and keep driving and doing the bed in procedure suggested by HAWK. Went home and let it park with first gear in, NO E BRAKE!!

Skip skip skip...

Second night, go back road again, drive a little harder. Brakes feel awesome, braking power might not make a huge different compare to stock brakes but there is almost no brake fade ! I was like, "nice"

BUT I saw a problem, contacting surface is not even, either the inner ring of the rotor has not been used or the outer or some brakes, especially the rear. I DID changed all slide pin and ensured calipers are in good condition. And lube with the purple brake part lube (very high temp), and flushed also

Skip skip skip...

Went on a 3000 miles trip a week after the brakes changed, came back, the rotor contacting surface is still bad

What's even worse is that the brakes starts making squealing noise randomly from each corner as its close to a full stop, very annoying af and pissed me off. So I go to back road and do bed in procedure and use it very hard and hot. The noise will go away for 1 day.

This goes on and on and on till today, I decided to contact tirerack. I sent them photos as attached.
They said, "Our tech looked at the photos. The noise is caused by high frequency vibration between pad and rotor. The warranty is beyond the 30 day. I can offer to sell you new pads at 50% off. We recommend the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads. Low dust and quieter. "

And here I am..

you can see that on the picture, the Hawk pad puts down lots of grooves on the rotor, one of them is deep enough that, when the wheel is off the ground, and I move the tire slightly, like 0.5 MPH speed, it makes a "oooooooo" like whistle, or harmonic noise.

What do you guys think? This noise is embarrassing me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Mire
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I have the same setup, plus the BimmerWorld Solid Brake Guide Kit.

My rotor surface is super smooth all the way around, but I too am getting slight squealing sounds out of the rear at low speeds every other time I come to a stop. Haven't had a chance to take the rear apart yet to see what could be causing it though. There is an inner ring (non contact area) that is rusted on my rear rotors as well, so that *may* be causing it. Chamfering the lower section of pad might help if that is the case. Either way, there are a ton of people that complain about squealing rear brakes on this platform, even when they swap out stock parts for the exact same OEM equipment. Could have to do with the parking brake shoes, dust shield, sensor making contact, etc. Those are the probable causes you'll read about when searching old threads. Who knows though; the issue is probably different for each person, not to mention how the new parts were installed to begin with.

Other than that, no complaints and still MUCH better than stock so I'm definitely not interested in going with another setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 11:49 AM   #4
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94
I have the same setup, plus the BimmerWorld Solid Brake Guide Kit.

My rotor surface is super smooth all the way around, but I too am getting slight squealing sounds out of the rear at low speeds every other time I come to a stop. Haven't had a chance to take the rear apart yet to see what could be causing it though. There is an inner ring (non contact area) that is rusted on my rear rotors as well, so that *may* be causing it. Chamfering the lower section of pad might help if that is the case. Either way, there are a ton of people that complain about squealing rear brakes on this platform, even when they swap out stock parts for the exact same OEM equipment. Could have to do with the parking brake shoes, dust shield, sensor making contact, etc. Those are the probable causes you'll read about when searching old threads. Who knows though; the issue is probably different for each person, not to mention how the new parts were installed to begin with.

Other than that, no complaints and still MUCH better than stock so I'm definitely not interested in going with another setup.
Umm... I didn't have those noise when I was using stock brakes.

Guess what! Now the pad moves in the bracket and makes a clunk noise am I the only one having problem with Hawk PS 5.0 pads

Sigh................
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Neither did I...can't you read good? As I mentioned above, peeps have had this issue when swapping in new OEM parts or even other aftermarket pads/rotors as well. That could point to the parking brake needing adjustment, etc. whether you're using Hawk pads or not.

What I'm getting at is this might be a "new brakes" issue altogether, no matter what brand parts you're running; not a "XYZ pad and rotor combo is squealing now!!" issue. If you're that concerned about finding the problem, take that $h!t apart and see what's doin.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94
Quote:
Neither did I...can't you read good? As I mentioned above, peeps have had this issue when swapping in new OEM parts or even other aftermarket pads/rotors as well. That could point to the parking brake needing adjustment, etc. whether you're using Hawk pads or not.

What I'm getting at is this might be a "new brakes" issue altogether, no matter what brand parts you're running; not a "XYZ pad and rotor combo is squealing now!!" issue. If you're that concerned about finding the problem, take that $h!t apart and see what's doin.
Took that shit apart many times already haha, at least the contact surface looks even now..

I really don't think it is supposed to groove the rotor that badly, rock chips in between them?

Ps: yea actually I forgot what I read in 3 secs and mentioned it again All the time
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

lol hmm. Yeah, my first plan of attack is to make sure the parking brake shoes are properly adjusted...or at least back them off enough to where I can rule them out as a potential issue. Then tie off the brake pad sensor, maybe pull back the dust shields, then slop way more goo on the back of the pads, etc.

What have you tried up until now?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Took that shit apart many times already haha, at least the contact surface looks even now..

I really don't think it is supposed to groove the rotor that badly, rock chips in between them?

Ps: yea actually I forgot what I read in 3 secs and mentioned it again All the time
No that's not rocks. They usually leave really deep lines in 1 or 2 areas depending. This looks like a pad out of alignment. I had a brake nightmare last month with my other vehicle, more specifically in the rears. It wasn't a BMW so it won't be relevant but basically the piston needs to align perfectly with the back of the pad. In this case I'm not sure what's going but we've had good feedback with the Hawk 5.0 so it's not the pads. Has to be an installation aspect.
Appreciate 0