E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Plazski's 320d Build Thread

09-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d E90 LCI

As you know there are not many 320d's build tread's, so I thought I would share my adventures with you all. I don't really know where all this will go, hopefully I will be able to update this frequently
I will try to be as in depth as possible with my mods, hopefully it will inspire others to do the same

So here is goes;

Current mods
-JBD from burger motorsports
-6000k Hid's
-Led angel eyes
-18inch 189 wheels
-2.5" Custom Exhaust
-CIC
-K&N drop in filter

Future mods
-M-sport suspension(needs to be installed)
-Plasti Dip
-DPF Delete with downpipe
-Stage 2 tune
-Intercooler
-M-sport body kit
-M-sport seats
-maybe injectors or turbo upgrade down the road

Onto the exhaust, I got it done today it is a custom 2.5" exhaust from the DPF back, straight pipe with one muffler at the rear. I'm pretty pleased with it. Nice and throaty sound almost like a boxer engine definitely noticeable. Inside it pretty much like stock, except there now is a nice growl near the redline, before would sound very coarse, drone is non existent. Power wise maybe its a placebo effect, but I swear it seems like there is a lot less lag then before, and the turbo seems to spool up quicker. I would like it to be a tad louder but that should be addressed when I remove the DPF, overall I'm very happy.

I managed to get a couple videos. But the videos do not do it justice. I'd recommend wearing headphones or listening through a good pair of speakers.

Exhaust Vids

Attached Images

Last edited by plazski; 09-15-2015 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
Trev88
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d e90 LCI

Nice! How much did the exhaust set you back?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Hey bud, great looking car. It's amazing how a slight drop in the suspension makes the car look so much more aggressive.

A set of gloss black kidney grilles definitely suits the silver and would make the front end look a lot better
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev88 View Post
Nice! How much did the exhaust set you back?
$500 at Dandy Exhausts
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #5
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post
Hey bud, great looking car. It's amazing how a slight drop in the suspension makes the car look so much more aggressive.

A set of gloss black kidney grilles definitely suits the silver and would make the front end look a lot better
Thanks mate, oh I know looks a millions times better then stock. Oh yes I did not think of that, will definitely add that to the mod list
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #6
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Exhaust sounds great, more pics please
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
TheDifference
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M Sport 320D

Would be interested to know how you're gonna tackle the k&n intake cos I want one too. I'm assuming you're going with pod? You gonna make your own brackets?

Also, dpf delete... Have you found a place that has experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket
Exhaust sounds great, more pics please
Thanks socket, will post more pics soon
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #9
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDifference
Would be interested to know how you're gonna tackle the k&n intake cos I want one too. I'm assuming you're going with pod? You gonna make your own brackets?

Also, dpf delete... Have you found a place that has experience with this?
Hi mate, yes it will be a pod. I'm not really sure yet, I'm either going to buy just the intake and make the brackets myself. However I'm not sure what diameter the intake piping is. Will have to check that.

Second option is to buy the kit. I have found a kit specific for the 320d, comes with the bracket and correct filter. Also found a local supplier on eBay that can source it. However it will $240-300 depending whether you want it by sea (8-10 week wait) or air mail (1 week wait ).

I'm leaning towards the first option as I don't really think the kit is worth 300 bucks just for a bracket lol. Super Cheap do sell brackets for the pod filters but it will have to be modified so you can attach it somewhere in the engine bay.

As for the DPF, I found a few places. I think there is one you mentioned "Automodelista"? Well I emailed them and they said they can do a DPF Delete and replace it with a downpipe I think I got quoted $1100 (hardware only). Then you will need it tuned/coded, when I'm going to get a tune done I will get a DPF delete as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Great looking car you have there. I must say the custom exhaust is a success as it is now one of the nicest sounding diesels I've ever heard! I can understand why you are pleased with it ....
      09-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Gotta love the 320d love on this forum lately. playwithonehand sell the a5 and bring the e90 out again.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Boganian Rubes
Lieutenant Coal Burner
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 320d e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazski View Post
I think I got quoted $1100 (hardware only). Then you will need it tuned/coded, when I'm going to get a tune done I will get a DPF delete as well.
Oh ma gawd! I got offered $600 by eurogarage
Also i love the tips, just like mine except mine dont have the lip thing going inside if you know what i mean. I'll stop being lazy and go measure my filter now.

Ok I just measured it, the opening is just about 80mm in diameter, it should also be a flexible plastic that'll fit over the mass air flow module nice and snug. Also don't listen to the SC guy's rambling about the fuel economy going up by like 5 litres, load of rubbish.

Last edited by Boganian Rubes; 09-15-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
Pyro335
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 - MG

Garage List
Custom exhaust sounds sweet. Kinda makes me want to go get mine done, not interested in the DPF delete in the long run on mine though.

Interesting to see how you go with the air intake. I have been looking at one for mine, K&N do a kit for the 330d but im not sure i can justify the $$
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #14
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH_335
Great looking car you have there. I must say the custom exhaust is a success as it is now one of the nicest sounding diesels I've ever heard! I can understand why you are pleased with it ....
Thanks man. Definitely worth it
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub3n
Quote:
I think I got quoted $1100 (hardware only). Then you will need it tuned/coded, when I'm going to get a tune done I will get a DPF delete as well.
Oh ma gawd! I got offered $600 by eurogarage
Also i love the tips, just like mine except mine dont have the lip thing going inside if you know what i mean. I'll stop being lazy and go measure my filter now.

Ok I just measured it, the opening is just about 80mm in diameter, it should also be a flexible plastic that'll fit over the mass air flow module nice and snug. Also don't listen to the SC guy's rambling about the fuel economy going up by like 5 litres, load of rubbish.
$600? Does that include the downpipe and coding? Seems like a great price. Yes I know what you mean, I spent an hour picking out tips haha.

Oh right is 80mm the diameter of the pipe with a Maf sensor right ? If so that means a 3" filter should work

Ah I know haha I just want to hear the turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #16
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro330d
Custom exhaust sounds sweet. Kinda makes me want to go get mine done, not interested in the DPF delete in the long run on mine though.

Interesting to see how you go with the air intake. I have been looking at one for mine, K&N do a kit for the 330d but im not sure i can justify the $$
Definitely worth the money, do it

Yeah the k&n kit is not worth the money. My only issue now is how I'm going to make the bracket.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 09:58 PM   #17
TheDifference
Private
Rep

$600 is pretty cheap for parts and labour... But can they do the coding there? Don't want to have to drive somewhere else to get it coded cos car will probly shit itself...

Plazski, did the automodellista guys say how much extra the coding was gonna be? Cos I'm pretty sure they can do the coding there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #18
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
$600 is pretty cheap for parts and labour... But can they do the coding there? Don't want to have to drive somewhere else to get it coded cos car will probly shit itself...

Plazski, did the automodellista guys say how much extra the coding was gonna be? Cos I'm pretty sure they can do the coding there.
They can do the coding but said I would need to go for a stage 2 tune they didn't say how much it would cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #19
Boganian Rubes
Lieutenant Coal Burner
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 320d e90

Quote:
They can do the coding but said I would need to go for a stage 2 tune they didn't say how much it would cost.
I bet that's a flash tune. Absolute best to do a custom dyno tune, although much more pricey, healthiest option for the car I reckon, also a lot more economical to do everything at once. such as turbo, injectors dpf and crap. There's a lot of fiddly modifications and machining and resizing and crap which'll all add up.

Also with the $600 quote it was over the phone, gave them all the details, and said they'd do it for 600 but with no coding which isn't so great.

Also with the intake, you need to take the whole assembly and throw it away, or in a drawer or something. What you have left is the Mass Air Flow sensor module (it looks like a high tech 10cm long pipe), thats connected to the pipe which leads to the turbo. Then stick the filter on the MAF module and use that uh metal rubber band that screws tight to secure it.

And yeah you use the stock maf sensor.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub3n
Quote:
I bet that's a flash tune. Absolute best to do a custom dyno tune, although much more pricey, healthiest option for the car I reckon, also a lot more economical to do everything at once. such as turbo, injectors dpf and crap. There's a lot of fiddly modifications and machining and resizing and crap which'll all add up.

Also with the $600 quote it was over the phone, gave them all the details, and said they'd do it for 600 but with no coding which isn't so great.

Also with the intake, you need to take the whole assembly and throw it away, or in a drawer or something. What you have left is the Mass Air Flow sensor module (it looks like a high tech 10cm long pipe), thats connected to the pipe which leads to the turbo. Then stick the filter on the MAF module and use that uh metal rubber band that screws tight to secure it.

And yeah you use the stock maf sensor.
Yeah custom dyno tune is the way to go. I know that HPF( horsepower factory) they do a custom dyno tune I was quoted $1150. Which I think is a decent price for a dyno tune.

Yep makes sense should be fine. Now all I need is a bracket lol
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:53 AM   #21
TheDifference
Private
Rep

HPF have all the required tools and software to tune a diesel e90 on the fly?? Wow! They should be able to code dpf delete then right?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 04:07 AM   #22
plazski
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
HPF have all the required tools and software to tune a diesel e90 on the fly?? Wow! They should be able to code dpf delete then right?
Yep they should be, you get decent gains as well

http://www.hp-f.com.au/about-2/hpf-n...odel-overview/
Appreciate 0