Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

09-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
e90_2_f80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

For the fellow enthusiasts who are looking to decide on tint, this is for you.

After lots of research on tint, reading reviews, and looking at pictures online and in person I limited my choice to 2 tint products: 3m Crystalline and F1 Pinnacle.

Both these products are superb, and will deliver on the premium price they command. I had the F1 on my e90 m3 (Black/Black) and I loved it. The f1 has a dark/deep charcol color that matches nicely the jet black car I had. Still miss that car

On my F80, I wanted something a bit lighter. So i decided to give the 3M Crystalline a try. I did the install at a 3M authorized dealer/installer "Cutting Edge Tint" in silver spring, MD. Franklin did an awesome job on the install and I recommend them and him specifically highly. Couple more thoughts below

I have to tell you that the crystalline film in (40%) has lighter color than the F1 (35%) but its more reflective. the F1 is deep black charcol and the Crystalline is lighter than that by about 5-10% with a shade more towards brown. keep in mind the e90 is black inside and the f80 is red. Pictures below!

The reflective quality of the 3M is slightly better than the F1. You only notice it after a while driving the car in the sun. You can increase the AC temp, your fan will work less, even getting into the car you feel less heat absorbed. There might be some color adsorption bias here as my m3 e90 is black (absorbs more heat) vs grey f80.

Crystalline is a thicker film to manage and harder install. The skill of the installer plays a bigger role in the crystalline to get it right. I cut a small piece and compared them; the 3m its almost 1.5x thickness of the f1. This means you need more heat and more skill to install it. Go to an experienced installer, dont try to save$$$ on labor as it WILL show at the end.

Price wise the crystalline is more expensive. Its about 100-200 more than the f1 depending on quality installers.

The $100 question: Is it worth the difference in price? For me so far yes, but only time will tell...either way i tried a new product and met a great company and installer.

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by e90_2_f80; 09-17-2015 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: pics
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Thanks for the review. I do find 3m Crystalline has better look than F1 from these pictures. When I ask tint shop about 3M crystalline, they don't really recommend it for the price and many of them say it was intended for medical use..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
rr006rbc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M440i GC

Mineral Grey w/ Sakhir orange ftw. Great review; I've always liked the crystalline LOTS better than its competitors. It really does take a more skilled tint man though.
Appreciate 0