E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Where to buy Cobb AP V3?

09-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: R32 GTR, WN Caprice

Where to buy Cobb AP V3?

Hi Guys,

I am new to all this as I have just purchased a 2008 N54 E93 335i M-Sport DCT Convertible.
The car is pretty well stock from what I can see, but that will change in the future.
I was wondering where would be the best place to have a Cobb AP V3 installed in the Sydney area?
Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Damo
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

http://www.bmraw.com/

I had Stu install my Cobb flash (easy DIY though!) after he uninstalled my procede.

Lots of guys will presuade you to go JB4 though or MHD
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
If you are not comfortable installing it yourself, take it to Advan Performance.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
totti84
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i 6MT

Garage List
Here is a 2nd hand one for sale

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1172400
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #5
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post

I had Stu install my Cobb flash (easy DIY though!) after he uninstalled my procede.

From what I've read, the Cobb give you the best smooth feeling power delivery and not a harsh kick in the ass, which is what i want considering it is a luxury vehicle after all
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Except its in the states, the exchange rate couple with shipping costs and the fact it is second hand, it would be more viable for me to purchase one locally in Australia.
But thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
From what I've read, the Cobb give you the best smooth feeling power delivery and not a harsh kick in the ass, which is what i want considering it is a luxury vehicle after all
Lol the cobb gives you a kick in the arse also dont you worry!

The cobb is the easiest to install/remove, albeit the JB4 provides a lot more technical features.

So at the end of the day they both provide a great tune, if you just want basic set and forget tune the cobb is good (albeit pricier) and if you want to tinker with a lot of mods and tuning JB4 is the go.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Lol the cobb gives you a kick in the arse also dont you worry!

The cobb is the easiest to install/remove, albeit the JB4 provides a lot more technical features.

So at the end of the day they both provide a great tune, if you just want basic set and forget tune the cobb is good (albeit pricier) and if you want to tinker with a lot of mods and tuning JB4 is the go.
As far as mods go, ill be looking at stuff like CP, CDP, FMIC, Exhaust, just the basic bolt on mods. Maybe upgraded turbos later on down the track.
Will the Cobb still be suited to this sort of application?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

I would never go cobb right now when mhd is available. I see why people did cobb before mhd but cobb is basically obsolete now and the support and future is definitely with mhd and the jb4.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

They all have there pros and cons

I am personally with Cobb. I liked it because it was a flash. Yes the OTS maps fall a little short on power, however if you get a protune done by PTF or Wedge Performance it will put you back in your seat.

I am currently in the process of getting a 98 and e40 tune protune done by Wedge
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 09:57 PM   #11
tawfeeqh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e90 335i

And yes the Cobb have various OTS map for different levels of mods. Then you can also customise with a protune. The Cobb will support upgraded turbos (either high flowed twin or single turbo setups).

Basically because its a flashing device all the good tuners who have access to ATR or ATP can support tuning the car with any level of mods. These include PTF, Motiv and more recently Wedge Performance.

I am FBO and really impressed with the smoothness and delivery of power for both OTS maps but even more so the protune maps.

MHD is another flashing software that can be loaded on Android and is cheaper. Just make the android device is powerful and stable as you dont want it to freeze or anything midway through loading a flash. I have found the COBB to be very stable so far
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:02 PM   #12
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Sorry, this might be a noob question, but what does OTS, ATR, ATP and FBO mean?
I am new to all these acronyms.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA View Post
As far as mods go, ill be looking at stuff like CP, CDP, FMIC, Exhaust, just the basic bolt on mods. Maybe upgraded turbos later on down the track.
Will the Cobb still be suited to this sort of application?
I have those mods and in conjunction with E85 (when running E85 its advised to update your LPFP- low pressure fuel pump and that your HPFP high pressure fuel pump is healthy) and a cobb E30 OTS map (off the shelf map with no customisation) my car pulled 309 rwkw.

So yes the cobb can deliver good numbers, as the guys have stated the MHD tune is a lot cheaper though! (you can use any android device such as a phone/tablet as a 'cobb AP' in conjunction with a cable and the MHD tunes are cheap something like $200 AUD?)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:11 PM   #14
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

The smoothness advantage you speak of is referring to flash (eg. Cobb, MHD or BBFlash) vs. early JB4 with no back end flash. All flash options are equally as able to be smooth, not just Cobb.

Cobb have pretty much abandoned the N54 platform.

MHD is going onwards and upwards. There have already been many new tables found that aren't available on Cobb in publicly available XDFs and there are a lot of new maps out there under constant development, getting better and better.

After receiving FOUR cables from both ebay and Aliexpress sellers, falsely advertised with a green PCB in the picture and the crappy white ones turn up and are always intermittently faulty, I found this one which works 100% every time:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Green...938721497.html

That cable + cheap Android tablet + MHD flashing/logging modules and you're set to either tune yourself or buy an OTS map. Alternatively, you can use an Android phone as long as you make sure it's in flight mode before flashing.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:14 PM   #15
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

I originally started with a Vishnu Procede which is a piggyback system similar to the JB4. With a piggyback system, it requires getting into the ECU and connecting the unit into the wiring harness. I changed to Cobb as you simply plug it into the OBD11 port and install the desired map. The Cobb changes the tune in the factory ECU whereas the piggyback systems trick the info in the ECU. Generally, there are less DTCs associated with the Cobb than with the piggyback systems. I have found the Cobb an excellent tool for data logging as well. A custom tune using the Cobb appears to give adequate power and performance. I wouldn't go back to a piggyback system after using the Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #16
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Whilst we're on the Cobb vs MHD discussion, having used both, I can say the MHD is more advanced and user friendly.

To put it in perspective, there's nothing that the MHD can't do that the Cobb can. In fact there's already a few things that MHD can do that Cobb can't (and it's only been available for several months).

I.e. Cold start delete, kick down switch delete, N20 map sensor scaling, waste gate rattle fix <-- All these enabled with a simple 'tick box'.

Add on top of these features, the additional tables that MHD has accessed/unlocked which Cobb do not have, and are not actively being worked on by Cobb either.

Food for thought...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:24 PM   #17
R32GOJIRA
Banned
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the input so far guys.
Keep the info coming as this will ultimately help me decide on what system i will go for.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 11:28 PM   #18
_ink
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32GOJIRA
Quote:

I LOL'd literally at this!!! Specially after you followed up saying you were going to also get an exhaust!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #19
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes33 View Post
I originally started with a Vishnu Procede which is a piggyback system similar to the JB4. With a piggyback system, it requires getting into the ECU and connecting the unit into the wiring harness. I changed to Cobb as you simply plug it into the OBD11 port and install the desired map. The Cobb changes the tune in the factory ECU whereas the piggyback systems trick the info in the ECU. Generally, there are less DTCs associated with the Cobb than with the piggyback systems. I have found the Cobb an excellent tool for data logging as well. A custom tune using the Cobb appears to give adequate power and performance. I wouldn't go back to a piggyback system after using the Cobb.
Hey Coupes33, have you done your E50 flash yet??
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #20
MJ80.
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Whilst we're on the Cobb vs MHD discussion, having used both, I can say the MHD is more advanced and user friendly.

To put it in perspective, there's nothing that the MHD can't do that the Cobb can. In fact there's already a few things that MHD can do that Cobb can't (and it's only been available for several months).

I.e. Cold start delete, kick down switch delete, N20 map sensor scaling, waste gate rattle fix <-- All these enabled with a simple 'tick box'.

Add on top of these features, the additional tables that MHD has accessed/unlocked which Cobb do not have, and are not actively being worked on by Cobb either.

Food for thought...
Exactly, MHD has made cobb totally obsolete, im not aware of any reason why you would choose cobb over MHD ? like Ink said, MHD can do anything cobb can, but cobb cant do alot of what MHD can. The support behind MHD is stronger and growing fast.

Then theres the price... its what 1100 1000 for a AP ? its like 200 bucks all up for MHD if you already have an android device/phone.

Also, somone mentioned they like being able to get a custom tune with Cobb, MHD is designed for that too. in fact Wedge, who makes the custom tunes for Cobb users, makes all the MHD maps including the OTS ones.

Cobb made sense before MHD, it was the way to go IMO. but not anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:25 AM   #21
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

What important steps do i need to know if i want to run JB4 & MHD together??
I believe i have to use map4 in JB4 and set 4-3, raise boost safety above the new MHD flash boost limit.
Is this all i need to know?? Who else has played with this yet?
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #22
Coupes33
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 335i, 2017 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath View Post
Hey Coupes33, have you done your E50 flash yet??
No Heath not yet. I just had the Quaife LSD installed on Wednesday so I may give it another run at Willowbank to see what, if any, improvements the LSD makes to the times before changing anything else. I'll see what the weather is like next Wednesday night.
Appreciate 0