F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > For those with the HK system: What have you done?
proTUNING Freaks

09-21-2015, 06:54 AM   #1
epistax
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 IX GC

For those with the HK system: What have you done?

I got my bimmer with the HK system. I think many others would agree it's good to very good, but not excellent. I see lots of info and chatting for people with the basic hi-fi system and the upgrades they can do to leap frog the HK system. I'm wondering what HK owners have done to improve their audio.

For me, audio is kind of like eyesight. Until I get a new prescription, I have no idea that things are blurrier than they are supposed to be. I'm not sure where my audio is lacking. That's why I'm not asking for specifics, and I don't yet know what's lacking until I hear better.

Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

If you are near Nashua you could stop by Boomers and talk to Jamie. He uses Focal speakers and JL Audio amps in our cars. I went up and listened to a 4 they did. It was impressive.
      09-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Most HK guys just do the BSW upgrade and maybe a trunk sub. I did the BSW front stage only and was a great improvement (IMO), shortly followed by adding a trunk sub. With out spending the $500 for a mobridge on top of other speakers/amps, that is the easiest and most budget friendly upgrade.

I really wanted to put my MS8 in the car, but couldn't justify the extra expense for the equipment needed to make it work.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Most HK guys just do the BSW upgrade and maybe a trunk sub. I did the BSW front stage only and was a great improvement (IMO), shortly followed by adding a trunk sub. With out spending the $500 for a mobridge on top of other speakers/amps, that is the easiest and most budget friendly upgrade.

I really wanted to put my MS8 in the car, but couldn't justify the extra expense for the equipment needed to make it work.
Very smart approach. I can't say what I did was budget friendly in any way.