E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clunk in the rear

09-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #1
jaimeson55
Rep
Drives: 335i

Clunk in the rear

I have had a clunk in the rear when I accelerate for a couple months now. It's been getting worse and worse. I finally jacked the car up and I was sure it would have been the diff mounts. So it turns out it is the rear sub frame front bushings. I can put a finger in between the bushing and the chassis. I put a jack under the sub frame and you can see the movement. I tried torquing the bolt but it was already at stretch. I googled this issue and it seems BMW is as bad about this as they are their EGR system. Model after model car after car this is an issue.

You know what really grinds my gears?

Bad engineering.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 12:56 AM   #2
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeson55 View Post
I have had a clunk in the rear when I accelerate for a couple months now. It's been getting worse and worse. I finally jacked the car up and I was sure it would have been the diff mounts. So it turns out it is the rear sub frame front bushings. I can put a finger in between the bushing and the chassis. I put a jack under the sub frame and you can see the movement. I tried torquing the bolt but it was already at stretch. I googled this issue and it seems BMW is as bad about this as they are their EGR system. Model after model car after car this is an issue.

You know what really grinds my gears?

Bad engineering.
How many miles are on your car?
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Install WhiteLine inserts. That will alleviate the issue.
Appreciate 0