E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Need Help - DSC FAILURE

09-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
bmwheath
11 second stock turbo club. 11.6@120mph
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Need Help - DSC FAILURE

Hey guys, so i am getting the DSC failure screen and associated orange lights on the dash. Ive scanned for codes with JB4 many times and got nothing! No codes!

This is how this issue began: I was out driving the other night, i went into McDonald's driveway, the driveway had a slight bump at the gutter, didn't think much of it, just felt like a small jault from a pothole. 5 mins later i was pulling into a tight underground carpark where i had to do a quick 3 point turn, as i was doing this 3 point turn all the DSC failure lights came up! Its as if the car didnt like me going from reverse left hand down to going forward right hand down on the steering wheel (computer overload : / ).
I parked up and did a Code scan with the JB4, nothing. I took the car home and disconnected 1 of the battery terminals thinking this may clear the issue, no luck. I have done a code scan every time i drive it and nothing, no codes.
Anyone have a similar issue?
Attached Images

JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim

Last edited by bmwheath; 09-23-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #2
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwheath View Post
Hey guys, so i am getting the DSC failure screen and associated orange lights on the dash. Ive scanned for codes many times and got nothing! NO CODES!

This is how this issue began: I was out driving the other night, i went into McDonald's driveway, the driveway had a slight bump at the gutter, didn't think much of it, just felt like a small jault from a pothole. 5 mins later i was pulling into a tight underground carpark where i had to do a quick 3 point turn, as i was doing this 3 point turn all the DSC failure lights came up!
I parked up and did a Code scan with the JB4, nothing. I took the car home and disconnected 1 of the battery terminals thinking this may clear the issue, no luck. I have done a code everytime i drive it and nothing, no codes.
Anyone had this issue?
JB4 is not much of a diagnostic tool. I didn't think it reads codes off every module of the car?

You need a K+DCAN ebay cable with INPA (or Carly if you dont have it) to read codes. INPA and ISTA would be the only things that can read realtime sensor data from the DSC module. There might be a few people out there with a setup in your area, although they mostly seem to be lurkers.

Start by resetting the tyre pressure monitors in idrive or the BC stalk.

Most likely you've damaged an ABS sensor. Check wiring on the side you hit the gutter with. If you have access to INPA (Carly won't do this stuff) you can actually read all the ABS sensor readings in realtime and diagnose quickly. Might be an unplugged sensor, damaged sensor or wiring.
      09-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
bmwheath
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
JB4 is not much of a diagnostic tool. I didn't think it reads codes off every module of the car?

You need a K+DCAN ebay cable with INPA (or Carly if you dont have it) to read codes. INPA and ISTA would be the only things that can read realtime sensor data from the DSC module. There might be a few people out there with a setup in your area, although they mostly seem to be lurkers.

Start by resetting the tyre pressure monitors in idrive or the BC stalk.

Most likely you've damaged an ABS sensor. Check wiring on the side you hit the gutter with. If you have access to INPA (Carly won't do this stuff) you can actually read all the ABS sensor readings in realtime and diagnose quickly. Might be an unplugged sensor, damaged sensor or wiring.
Thanks VLT. I was actually thinking abs sensor as well, but are our cars really that poorly constructed that everytime you bump something the car goes into meltdown mode?? I cannot reset tyre pressure through idrive! How do i do the reset with the BC button? Ill jack it up tonight to see if anything is out of place. Im so scared to even fart inside my car, i fear the sensors may detect the smell & self destruct!!
JB4 ISO - 3" Catless Downpipes - RB Inlets to be fitted - BMS DCI - VRSF 7" intercooler - Charge pipe & Raceport BOV - BMW PE exhaust - Stage 2 fuel pump - BMS E85 Flash/ E50 mix, running map7 - NGK Plugs - BMS Catchcan - RB pcv valve - Quaife LSD - 19'' Beyern wheels - Msport suspension - M3 rep sideskirts - Aero front lip - Lux V5's - Mid kick rear spoiler - Dark tint - Msport steering wheel with M3 paddles & trim

Last edited by bmwheath; 09-23-2015 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #4
bmwheath
Rep

ps, who/what is Carly???
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks VLT. I was actually thinking abs sensor as well, but are our cars really that poorly made that everytime you bump something the car goes into meltdown mode?? I cannot reset tyre pressure through idrive! How do i do the reset with the BC button? Ill jack it up tonight to see if anything is out of place. Im so scared to fart inside my car, i fear that it may self destruct!!
Yeah those sensors are very integral to the operation of the DSC system.

I have found that a lot of used cars that have been through the hands of mechanics, cables and stuff that are removed are never put back properly in the cable routing clips and are sometime left loose. Means that cables can be pretty easily damaged/caught/fall off.

European ABS/DSC modules can be a bit finnicky in the long term, I replaced the ABS electronics in my Audi (was a Bosch unit similar to the ones in BMWs) cos the bond wires broke on the circuit. Luckily the car was fairly old and replacement parts were cheap.

I am not sure if this applies to AUS vehicles since we only have a DSC based TPMS (not actual sensors):
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Monitoring.htm

I never do it through the stalk since I have idrive on my car
      09-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
ps, who/what is Carly???
Its like a diagnostics tool that runs off your phone, used to be called BMWhat. Can do some coding as well.

It costs a fair bit of money and doesn't do as much as INPA, which can be had for free off the interwebs. Most people go for Carly since INPA is a huge pain in the ass to install and is not user friendly.

I use INPA since its the factory tools with much more capabilities.
      09-23-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 Harrop S/C

+1 on ABS sensor or battery/alternator issue.

Find the sensor, unplug it, give it a clean and replug it in, do this with the battery disconnected. hopefully it has just come a bit loose over time and brake dust and crap is affecting the connection.

If you have not changed your battery for a long time try charging it over night and see if that helps. The computer systems are very sensitive to voltage drops. Old battery's or lazy alternators can wreck havoc.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #8
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

Had the same issue but it happened for no reason. Active replaced 'a sensor' and it went away. They said its common. Can't remember what they replaced (sorry) but it wasn't ABS related. Will try and check the invoice tomorrow for you. About a $200k if it's the same thing.

EDIT

SZL repair kit. Had the invoice on my phone.
      09-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

On/off issue for me.http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=abs+error

Everytime few days it comes on. I get a screwdriver hammer the abs module a bit. Shake it up a little. It clears itself when i drive off. Proabably loose connection inside.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #10
Armadyllo
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i

I had the same thing, BMW said it was the steering sensor, is that the same as ABS sensor ? They fixed it free of charge so I assume it was a unplug plug back in, they stated they had just adjusted it and it will go away. It came back once while turning hard and going over a bump. Although it had gone away by the next time I started the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
mikenazz
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Is the abs sensor the same as the brake pad sensors?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #12
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadyllo View Post
I had the same thing, BMW said it was the steering sensor, is that the same as ABS sensor ? They fixed it free of charge so I assume it was a unplug plug back in, they stated they had just adjusted it and it will go away. It came back once while turning hard and going over a bump. Although it had gone away by the next time I started the car.
The steering sensor is not the same thing as the abs sensor. You have an ABS sensor on each wheel. The steering sensor or the SZL module is an optical sensor attached to the steering wheel that detects the steering angle. The grease BMW used to lube the mechanism crystalizes on older cars (not sure if they changed to a diff grease later on) and obstructs the optical sensing. You can take it apart and clean it without having to buy anything. If you replace the steering angle sensor it will require a VIN write via Tool32 and a recalibration via INPA. Sometimes cleaning it will require a recal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenazz View Post
Nope, abs sensors are a hall effect sensor to sense the wheel speed, the brake pad sensors is just a on/off sensor that is clipped on the brake pads
      09-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #13
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
On/off issue for me.http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=abs+error

Everytime few days it comes on. I get a screwdriver hammer the abs module a bit. Shake it up a little. It clears itself when i drive off. Proabably loose connection inside.
This is probably the same as what happened to me with my Audi B5 A4. I got the ABS light intermittently. Internally theres a fancy ceramic hybrid circuit. They use aluminium wires from the hybrid circuit to the physical pin connections and on old cars they can pop off. I cut open my ABS module and tried to solder it but no luck (must have been one of the tiny gold bond wires instead). Ended up buying the ABS electronics from a wrecker in the US for about $140. The BMW units look very similar and are also bosch units, have already seen a thread on e90 about someone replacing their DSC electronics.
      09-24-2015, 01:05 AM   #14
chappy
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 M-SPORT COUPE

I had the same problem about a year ago DSC lights lit up all over the dash, tyre monitor as well, thinking the DSC module has gone.
I read about doing a steering angle recalibrating and brake force reset through DIS software.
Worked perfect for me, after a year no trouble at all.
You have to perform both of the resets through diagnostics software and it will go through recalibrating steering angle and brake force to each of the wheels.
DIS software or ISPI NEXT ISTA-P software should do it.
      09-24-2015, 01:07 AM   #15
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadyllo View Post
The steering sensor is not the same thing as the abs sensor. You have an ABS sensor on each wheel. The steering sensor or the SZL module is an optical sensor attached to the steering wheel that detects the steering angle. The grease BMW used to lube the mechanism crystalizes on older cars (not sure if they changed to a diff grease later on) and obstructs the optical sensing. You can take it apart and clean it without having to buy anything. If you replace the steering angle sensor it will require a VIN write via Tool32 and a recalibration via INPA. Sometimes cleaning it will require a recal

Quote:
Nope, abs sensors are a hall effect sensor to sense the wheel speed, the brake pad sensors is just a on/off sensor that is clipped on the brake pads
Ive done an SAS clean on an e87 and didn't require any softwares to recalibrate it. Didn't have any error codes for about week but it came back, so we replaced the SAS with one bought from a wrecker for $150. Worked fault-free afterwards.
From memory though, the error code on OP's dashboard does look like an SAS issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:33 AM   #16
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

DSC errors all look the same on idrive regardless of the fault, can't really diagnose it based off that. I have had the exact same warning lights on the dash as bmwheath when I have:

- Reset DME adaptions via INPA without taking the key out (taking the key out and restarting fixes)
- Updated the DSC module with WinKFP(clears the calibrations in the DSC module so errors light up). Required running the self cal function in INPA to fix
      09-24-2015, 01:40 AM   #17
Max555
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 320i

If it's the steering wheel optical disk all you have to do after cleaning it is turn the steering wheel full lock right to full lock left. After driving up the road 20 meters or so, all codes will clear themselves.
      09-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #18
woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl
DSC errors all look the same on idrive regardless of the fault, can't really diagnose it based off that. I have had the exact same warning lights on the dash as bmwheath when I have:

- Reset DME adaptions via INPA without taking the key out (taking the key out and restarting fixes)
- Updated the DSC module with WinKFP(clears the calibrations in the DSC module so errors light up). Required running the self cal function in INPA to fix
That's a good point! I'm hoping it's just the SAS for OP then.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #19
bmwheath
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys! Very much appreciated. I have noticed that my indicators don't turn off after taking a corner! This would mean that its more than likely the steering angle sensor right??
Where about is it located exactly?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #20
Max555
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 320i

You can see a pic of the optical disk with the crystallisation and the link to the DIY fix in the below thread. The DIY took me about an hour being really careful and I didn't bother with the anti static strap

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1029629
      09-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #21
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys! Very much appreciated. I have noticed that my indicators don't turn off after taking a corner! This would mean that its more than likely the steering angle sensor right??
Where about is it located exactly?
Definitely sounds like the SZL steering angle sensor. For me, I would hate taking apart stuff (especially the airbag and steering wheel) without reading codes but in this case it sounds pretty definitive.
      09-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
bmwheath
Rep

Thanks guys. Ive just done a heap of reading on how to clean the SAS, ill give that a go over the weekend and let you know how it goes!
Appreciate 0