F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > running wire from Engine bay to cabin through firewall
ARMA SPEED

09-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 --> E89

running wire from Engine bay to cabin through firewall

Hi I am wondering if anyone could share how to run the wires from engine bay to the cabin, and would be great if can post some pictures too. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
steelerfan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackHawk View Post
Hi I am wondering if anyone could share how to run the wires from engine bay to the cabin, and would be great if can post some pictures too. Thanks!
wwhich side? i posted photos in the front pdc diy
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #3
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
wwhich side? i posted photos in the front pdc diy
Hi Steelerfan, thanks so much for your help!

After reading through your post, i am still not very clear about below Step 2 you wrote in the post. Could you please help to elaborate more?

1. Start by getting the cover out of the battery connector. Has a red cover, can't miss it. <--- OK

2. What I actually missed was a hole used for this cover, and actually used it to guide the cable through but only found that out in the end. Either way, I didn't found a better way to route the cable. Do your own analysis. <--- Not sure what you mean here.

3. When you get the cover out you'll see 2 covers that get you access to the firewall: <--- Ok, i will use either one if there is not other available place at the driver side.

I plan to add a turbo gauge and need the sensor wires to go through the firewall to engine bay (want the real readings and not the readings from OBDII). So it would be the best if there is also a place to get the wire through at the driver side where the gauge will be placed at.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #4
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Hi Steelerfan, thanks so much for your help!

After reading through your post, i am still not very clear about below Step 2 you wrote in the post. Could you please help to elaborate more?

1. Start by getting the cover out of the battery connector. Has a red cover, can't miss it. <--- OK

2. What I actually missed was a hole used for this cover, and actually used it to guide the cable through but only found that out in the end. Either way, I didn't found a better way to route the cable. Do your own analysis. <--- Not sure what you mean here.

3. When you get the cover out you'll see 2 covers that get you access to the firewall: <--- Ok, i will use either one if there is not other available place at the driver side.

I plan to add a turbo gauge and need the sensor wires to go through the firewall to engine bay (want the real readings and not the readings from OBDII). So it would be the best if there is also a place to get the wire through at the driver side where the gauge will be placed at.
You can feed it through the main rubber grommet. (the large round rubber grommet in the middle of the photo with the cable coming out of the middle)

If you lift the carpets behind the pedals you can access the large main cable rubber firewall grommet from behind (the arrow is pointing to it in the pic)

If you look on the other side of the grommet you can see two round guide holes. Use one of these as your drill point and drill through it from behind the pedals. Once you drill through you will be able to pass a cable through the the grommet into the engine bay.
I used this when I installed a amp power cable to the battery connector to the battery connector in the engine bay.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
LittleBlackHawk
Private First Class
Rep

Hi Kingmonkey8, thanks for the information, it is really helpful. i will try it when i get the gauge. BTW, isn't amp is installed at the trunk and easier just connect to the batter in the trunk directly? I am also waiting for my bimmertech amp to be arrived.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
kingmonkey8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i

Quote:
Hi Kingmonkey8, thanks for the information, it is really helpful. i will try it when i get the gauge. BTW, isn't amp is installed at the trunk and easier just connect to the batter in the trunk directly? I am also waiting for my bimmertech amp to be arrived.
I did a retrofit of the Alpine HiFi upgrade and the amp is installed under the glove box, the amp is grounded in the engine bay. The cable routing was as per the installation guide.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 01:02 PM   #7
BakedLikeAPie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 740iL, 2008 M5, 2017 330i

Anyone know how to gwt thru firewall on DRIVER's side? For P3 gauge ethanol sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:19 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Double post.
Appreciate 0