E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Uneven tyres

10-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #1
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Uneven tyres

I found that my tyres are having uneven treads, I first bought these tyres for my precious 325 from a member here, then I took the rims back when I bought the 335.
When I put my hand on the tread circumferentially, the tread feels like up and down.

I am going to change a new set of tyres together with a new set of wheel later, just want to know if it will damage any component of the suspension system or steering system if I keep using them?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
LotusBMW
Fast Wagoner
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i | E36 M3 and more...

Drive on them. If it shakes and wobbles you've got issues. Maybe get them balanced or inspected by a tyre shop you know and trust. If not, drive on and stop worrying.
      10-08-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
Pete.J
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT (F82)

Garage List
Generally speaking, the front suspension design on the E9X cars causes the front tyres to wear slightly faster on the inside as trade off for better handling. Alfa Romeo cars got the same issue.

Are the tyres you are running Pirelli RFT by any chance? I had the same issue on my 325i, the tyre shop I went to to replace my tyres reckons there was a bad batch Pirelli RFT sometime in the last 2-3 years

Get new tyres, get a front and rear wheel alignment and then start monitoring how your tyres wear

And to answer your question, no bad tyres won't cause any damage to your suspension. They might be a bit noisy on freeways and cause the car to use a bit more petrol, but nothing major
      10-08-2015, 02:49 AM   #4
CYL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitos_7 View Post
Generally speaking, the front suspension design on the E9X cars causes the front tyres to wear slightly faster on the inside as trade off for better handling. Alfa Romeo cars got the same issue.

Are the tyres you are running Pirelli RFT by any chance? I had the same issue on my 325i, the tyre shop I went to to replace my tyres reckons there was a bad batch Pirelli RFT sometime in the last 2-3 years

Get new tyres, get a front and rear wheel alignment and then start monitoring how your tyres wear

And to answer your question, no bad tyres won't cause any damage to your suspension. They might be a bit noisy on freeways and cause the car to use a bit more petrol, but nothing major
Thanks.

The tyres are kumho KU31. bought from forum member, it came in like that already.
I saw the article online saying that BMW tends to have toe-in?

I am just concerning if the bad tyres will further damage any suspension component, I was imagining similarly to running with a shoes with uneven bottom sole.

I plan to change to the tyres together with the rims in Jan, and will do a 4 wheel alignment once the rims and tyres have been changed.
Currently both the steering wheel & the car will pull to the left if I let go of it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #5
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
BMWs all have toe-in with the factory alignment specs.

My guess is that your tyres are out of round or tyre separation, Check when your tyres are made as tyres do have an expiry date of 6-7yrs before the rubber compound degrades and hardens up.
Appreciate 0