F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Buying Nav off Ebay for F30
ARMA SPEED

10-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
jayp80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i XDrive

Buying Nav off Ebay for F30

I have a 2013 F30 production date Feb 2013, I do not have a navigation unit but I see them online and on eBay was wondering is it possible to upgrade without splicing wires and completely voiding my warranty? I actually don't need the navigation I just don't like the smaller screen I currently have. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Retrofitting a navigation unit in F30 is a lot more involved than you might think. It's not just a direct swap or plug-and-play. It could range from relatively simple to quite difficult depending on your vehicle configuration and how hands-on you are. I've done it in my wife's car and it's not for the faint of heart. Lots of cables/wires to reroute and splice since the Combox was in the trunk.

You also need to code the head unit correctly so if you are not comfortable with coding, I would recommend against it. Honestly, unless you are really attached to the car, you should just sell yours and pick up another used one.
      10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #3
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp80 View Post
I have a 2013 F30 production date Feb 2013, I do not have a navigation unit but I see them online and on eBay was wondering is it possible to upgrade without splicing wires and completely voiding my warranty? I actually don't need the navigation I just don't like the smaller screen I currently have. Any help would be appreciated.

2 things...

1, really do the research. Modifying these cars isn't as easy as cut and paste like in a domestic car from the 1990s. They generally require parts in excess of what appears to make it OEM, and at a cost generally greater than if you were to purchase the feature outright on a new vehicle. You generally need to make your own wiring adapters, etc, on top of coding it to work properly.

2, You get what you pay for on Ebay. There's a reason it's on eBay. Although I have used it for aftermarket exterior parts, bulbs, etc... I personally wouldn't use it for this type of investment. The amount of savings you will receive is generally not worth the aggravation that you could get with the part you buy.

There are lots of discussions here about "adding" things. If you're doing it for the bigger screen and not just nav, I'd probably just wait to turn in your car and purchase one with the feature you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

I personally would live without nav in this case or go buy a 3rd party system to go on window or dash.

If something goes wrong you are decreasing the value of the car. Be careful. My opinion is that these cars are too nice for this kind of thing. Next time just make sure to buy a car fitted with nav!
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0