E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > removing the strut pins for more camber

10-16-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

removing the strut pins for more camber

I have noticed that several BMW forums, including this one, have various posts on removing the factory pins at the top of the strut tower, in order to gain a bit more negative camber. Whether any real gain is achieved, debatable, but it probably can't hurt, as the cars need more front camber. I have read several of these DIY posts that instruct to raise only the front corner on which you are working. Folks need to realize, if you do this, you are pre-loading a lot of tension through the sway bar, as it is trying to do its job of keeping the two front tires on the ground, so the strut is extremely hard to move after loosening the three retaining nuts. When doing this, you need to lift the entire front end. It doesn't have to be off the floor, but needs to have about all the weight off the front suspension. Then, when the retaining nuts are loosened, the strut will move easily. And if the pin heads strip when you try to remove them, you can drill them out. I've removed these pins on three previous M3 cars without a problem. I recently bought an '09 335i, and the pin heads stripped immediately as I tried to loosen them. So I gave them the ol' drill treatment, worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Another way short of drilling them out is dremel a slot into the pin and just use a screwdriver.
Appreciate 0